2017 Reading Challenge discussion

15/Book that made you cry > Ghost Boy by Martin Pistorius

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments This is an amazing and inspiring story about a boy who was trapped inside himself for years, some of it spent totally unaware. Once his mind started "coming out of it", no one knew. He was grouped with the lowest performing children in a day care facility even though his mind was awake. Finally one caregiver started to treat him like an actual person, talking to him as she massaged his atrophied limbs. She noticed his eyes and how he would look at her intently and try to communicate. From there, he went on to achieve amazing things.

This book really made me think about those people who seem to be living in a shell, not "functioning". What do they really know? What are they truly aware of? What heartbreaking things have they seen and heard, like Martin experienced, that they can't do anything about? It shines light on a whole new perspective.

I highly recommend this book.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments Apparently the iPad app doesn't put books into categories either...

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "Apparently the iPad app doesn't put books into categories either... "

You'd think they'd fix that app!

Which category did you want this in?

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments Book that made me cry. Thank you!

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
You're very welcome!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky K I just started this one for another challenge list :) I am completely absorbed in it, from the very first few chapters, love when that happens!