The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > I'm Back!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Hello All,

I'm trying to get back into my Goodreads discussions. Expat living in Germany. Sprechen Sie Deutsche? Because I'm not very good at German. It's a tough language.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to reconnecting with people. Have a great day!

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8727 comments Mod
Great to have you back!
It IS a tough language, not one of my favorites -- heck, Chinese is easier than German for me!

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Thank you so much, Nancy! Now I don't feel so bad that I'm struggling with German.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

You're welcome. I still struggle with it -- reading is one thing, speaking is a whole different ball game. Hang in there.

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Hello there, Denise.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5464 comments I lived in Germany for about six years at different times. I could get by, but it sure wasn't easy. Welcome to the group!

message 7: by Denise (last edited Apr 29, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Denise Baer @Nancy, I have difficulties understanding. I can't translate that quickly. My husband tells me that once I turn off my self-translation, and know the words in German, then it will come easier. I think some people are better at languages than others.

@Skye, Thanks much.

@Bill, I'm sure you could get by better than I can. I've been living here for 2 years and 8 months. I'm very good at pronouncing Danke Schoen and Nein. :D

message 8: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Denise wrote: "Hello All,

I'm trying to get back into my Goodreads discussions. Expat living in Germany. Sprechen Sie Deutsche? Because I'm not very good at German. It's a tough language.

Anyways, I'm looking ..."

Hello Nanacy,

As a German living for the past 30 years in the UK I remember that struggle very well. German (huge grammar, lots of rules, but sticking to the rules), English (lot less grammar, some rules, millions of exceptions). However, don't give up on German as especially reading German and Scandinavian literature in German is sooooo much better than in English. And my favourite regional books with regional accents, which for me bring the Laender right into my living room.

Also German, with its possibility of simply creating words to describe something exactly is so much more precise and whilst I now mainly "think" in English, there are still times when I try to describe something for which there is an excellent German words which is exactly right and I can't find the same in English.

Don't despaire there comes the time when it just klicks and you'll find your brain has switched. When I go to Germany now, everybody tells me that my German as anglicized.

message 9: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Bill wrote: "I lived in Germany for about six years at different times. I could get by, but it sure wasn't easy. Welcome to the group!"

The problem is if you are an English speaker, you are just so lucky an there is just not that much of a need to learn another language fully. Worth it however, as knowledge about the structure and usage of a language, can help explain a lot about how people express themselves and why and can do away with a lot of preconceptions and prejudices.

message 10: by Denise (last edited Apr 30, 2015 06:07AM) (new)

Denise Baer @Gisela, Thanks much. My husband is trying to teach me German, so we'll see how that goes.

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Gisela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I lived in Germany for about six years at different times. I could get by, but it sure wasn't easy. Welcome to the group!"

The problem is if you are an English speaker, you are just s..."

That is so spot on, Gisela!

message 12: by Annette (new)

Annette Macintyre | 70 comments Dear Denise, I used to speak French and I know exactly what you mean by thinking in a different language. I caught myself in the cafe and started thinking in French! How weird.

message 13: by Denise (last edited May 03, 2015 03:14AM) (new)

Denise Baer Hi Annette, When I walk our dog, I'll come up with sentences in English and try to translate them in German. Sometimes, I'll do it when my husband is around and then ask him if my translation is correct. He asked me why I wanted to say that and I told him about translating sentences in my head. He smiled and then I said, "At least I'm thinking about your language. I might not be able to speak it, but I think about it." :D