TV We've Just Watched discussion

Scifi/Fantasy > Supergirl

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (last edited Apr 28, 2015 10:12PM) (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Does any one know when this will come out :) ?

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I think in the Fall, I just saw a preview yesterday and it's terrible, I couldn't even finish the trailer it was that bad.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I like the concept, but I do wonder about the execution.

message 4: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments I Just caught the first look trailer for Supergirl yesterday. I thought it looked OK. Light and fun. Which is just how I think it should be.

I'm a bit worried this will flop on CBS. It seems a bad fit for the network.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments What network do you think would be a better fit, Gavin?

message 6: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments The only network shows like this seem to survive any length of time nowadays is the CW. I guess they could always move Supergirl from CBS to the CW if it manages a decent following, but does not quite manage the following a show needs to survive on CBS.

Why the SyFy network is not producing shows like this is beyond me.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited May 18, 2015 04:40PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments CBS? Oh man, you might as well consider it cancelled already. I just assumed it would be on The CW, that's a much better fit and they're willing to give their shows a chance to catch on.

One of the reasons scifi doesn't do well on network TV is because we know it'll be cancelled right away, no point in even starting a series we know won't last. It's their own fault that their shows fail. I just wish they'd stop optioning them and let them go to the channels that would give them a chance and right now the only two channels that do that are CW and SyFy.

SyFy has some good shows, and some crappy shows.

message 8: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments Jackie wrote: "CBS? Oh man, you might as well consider it cancelled already."

That was my exact thought when I heard this was a CBS show and not a CW show. It hardly seems like a good fit with the rest of the shows on the network. I get that they are trying to attract younger viewers but I think most genre shows always tend to attract a limited audience. The likes of Lost and Game of Thrones are the exception. Sadly, I think Supergirl will be lucky if it sees out a full season. I hope I'm wrong and that it catches on.

I used to love the SyFy shows, but have not enjoyed a single one since the cancelled Stargate Universe and Caprica. I was not a fan of Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Haven. Too episodic for my liking and I did not get the humor. I quit Defiance after 4 or 5 episodes because it was boring me and it was the same for Being Human. With Olympus I lasted just a single episode! I may give a chance to The Expanse, Dark Matter, and Killjoys, but I'm not feeling enthusiastic after watching the trailers.

message 9: by Jackie (last edited May 19, 2015 02:45AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Out of the main networks, Fox gives their scifi shows more of a chance than the others. ABC and NBC are notorious for airing scifi shows then cancelling them when they don't have a bazillion viewers by episode three. I remember one season there was a lot of scifi show on the networks, of course I watched them all, they all got cancelled but what's worse is they left me on cliffhanger season finales. That was it for me, now I don't bother. If a show lasts, I can play catch up on netflix.

Both Lost and GoT are not what they started out as, Lost completely sucked by the time it ended.

SyFy, SGU and Caprica were both fantastic shows, I was very pissed when they got cancelled. Syfy displayed network thinking there. I hated Warehouse 13 but liked both Eureka, Haven and Defiance. The American version of Being Human was bound to be a failure, especially after watching the epic UK version. Olympus is as bad as Atlantis. I don't know why they keep trying to give scifi people such shit shows, we're a discerning group that demands quality. They still haven't figured that out yet.

I'm going to try the new Syfy shows, see if any are worth watching.

message 10: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments It was not that long ago that Fox was producing a ton of great shows. I'm not sure what went wrong. I think it was cancelling Firefly and similar shows so early that damaged public perception of the network. I'm the exact same as you in avoiding fantasy/sci-fi shows on the big 4 networks until they get a second season renewal or ratings that make a renewal a probability. Cliffhanger final episodes are the worst! I still remember the way things ended for shows like Flash Forward and Invasion. I read an interesting article not that long ago that said more shows should get a conclusive ending. The reasoning was that shows with endings are a better sell to the rising streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

I do think Lost got worse with each passing season. Not that I can complain too much as I still enjoyed it until the end. I disagree about GoT. I think that is still pretty good. I get a few surprise moments now that the TV series is making changes from the book. Which adds fun and excitement.

I've never seen a UK show I actually liked! I cringe just thinking about shows like Merlin and Robin Hood. I hope that with the impending crop of new shows the SyFy network can get back to the good old days.

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Gavin wrote: "I do think Lost got worse with each passing season."

I think because they were making it up as they went along. And coming up with "something cool" or twisty was more important than continuity.

message 12: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments That was also my impression. Plus that ending was beyond awful and only served to prove that the writers had no long term plans on how to conclude the series!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments The cliffhanger finale on a cancelled show - they did that with Jericho, which prompted a campaign to send the network packages of nuts. Which worked - it got a second season.

message 14: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 46 comments It was a happy day when Jericho was brought back and given a proper ending.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Yeah, the second season, at least, did not end on such a cliffhanger.

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Overall, I enjoyed SuperGirl last night, but there was an awful lot in the 90-minute episode.

One thing I didn't like though, and it was the same thing I didn't like about the last Superman reboot, Man of Steel -- why bother to have "invulnerable" beings just beat on each other, destroying everything in the vicinity?

And, boy, do a lot of people know her "secret" identity.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I would be watching this, if it weren't up against The Voice. Ah, scheduling conflicts; either there's nothing on, or too many.

message 18: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Did everyone notice that henshaw's eyes glowed red *spoilers * hank henshaw is cyborg superman The Man of Steel Cyborg Superman by J.E. Bright

message 19: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments This week was awesome. They added live wire nice.

message 20: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments Supergirl got picked up for a hole season.

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 110 comments Was that a Freudian slip? :)