2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Scarlet Letter
This topic is about The Scarlet Letter
. Week 25: School Book > The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah | 186 comments I am one of those people that really did read all the books I was assigned in school. So I had to use a list of high school books on here to find one my school didn't read.

I have always wanted to read The Scarlet Letter and have just never gotten around to it. I was happy to see it on the list!

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) It's one my list too, for the week with a color in it! We should do a buddy read!

Sarah | 186 comments Sounds like a plan! That's funny I didn't even think of this one for that week.

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) So, let me know when you're planning to read it and we can plan a time? Just to warn you, I tend to be an extreme mood-reader, so... :)

message 5: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I considered reading this one, because it was one of the few books that I "cheated on" in high school - reading it along side the Cliffs Notes. I would read the Cliffs Notes first, then the chapters in the book. Made it easier to follow. But I did finish the book, so I went with the one book that I didn't finish instead. Someday I do want to re-read this though, see if I like it any better as an adult. I just remember struggling through it in high school.

Sarah | 186 comments The Lit Lover wrote: "So, let me know when you're planning to read it and we can plan a time? Just to warn you, I tend to be an extreme mood-reader, so... :)"

The goal is to be ready to read it for this week. But that will depend on if I end up on a waiting list at the library for it or not! lol Most of my books for this challenge are coming from the library, unless I feel it will be a book I really want to own.

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) That's true for me too!

message 8: by Magdalene Anne (new)

Magdalene Anne (magza) Same for me! Somehow the english class ahead of me and behind me all read it but my class never did? So strange.

message 9: by Biana (new) - added it

Biana Sarah wrote: "I am one of those people that really did read all the books I was assigned in school. ."

Me too. I actually put the request on Facebook...looking for school books that others remember. I was kind of hoping for something trendy and new rather than the 100 year old die hard books. This book was the best of the suggestions and like a couple of you....I had always kind of wanted to read it.

My complaint thus far (Chapter 11) is that when I look up a word that I don't understand...there is no definition. I guess it was just an -ism of the time!

Sarah | 186 comments I am about 50% done the book and I am not sure if I will finish it at all. I have to say that I am glad that we didn't read this one in school. This one really isn't my cup of tea!

Sarah | 186 comments Done! I managed to not give up and see this one through till the end. I have to say that it's never going to be on of my favorite books to read, but I am glad that I finished it. I did enjoy the dialog, it was just all the descriptiveness that got to me.

message 12: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika (regulusblack) this is quite honestly the only book i didn't read in high school and starting it again i have absolutely no problems remembering why. i faked my entire report on it because i couldn't even get past chapter five. i'm working on it again now (eight years later) and i still can't get through it. i just really, really dislike this book. i'm determined to finish it but good lord it is testing me. i'm hoping to finish this week though. wish me luck

message 13: by Jody (new) - rated it 1 star

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I read this one for the friend recommendation week. I hated it. So much. It was SO dry & tedious!