Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > Awards with Finalists/Shortlists

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments The manual topic on this: If an award has a middle tier such as an honor medal or a shortlist and is an award notable enough that other nominees are also listed, the award can be listed as two awards, one for the winner and the longlisted nominees and another for the shortlist.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments As to the Arthur Ross Book Award, linked in Katherine's Google doc in this post, I think the Silver Medals should have a separate award, and that the Honorable Mention should be listed as "nominees" on the Award that includes the Gold Medal winners. The description for both the Gold and Silver Medals should cross-reference each other.

There are other awards we have that have longlists (at least for the past few years and probably going forward), and I think that the Shortlist should become its own award. Again, cross-reference the Shortlist with the winners, or whatever the middle-tier award is called.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (pdxstitch) | 88 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "As to the Arthur Ross Book Award, linked in Katherine's Google doc in this post, I think the Silver Medals should have a separate award, and that the Honorable Mention should be listed as "nominees..."

I ended up doing this with the Arthur Ross Book Award

message 4: by Unsung (new)

Unsung Stories (unsungstories) | 5 comments Is there any chance someone could do this for the James Tiptree Award please? The winners are given but the Honors List titles haven't.
http://tiptree.org/

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Unsung wrote: "Is there any chance someone could do this for the James Tiptree Award please? The winners are given but the Honors List titles haven't.
http://tiptree.org/"

Yes, we can do that. Not certain how soon, but it will definitely get done.

message 6: by Unsung (new)

Unsung Stories (unsungstories) | 5 comments That's great, thank you. I've put in an application for Librarian status as well so if that comes through any time soon I'll get on it myself.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Help is always appreciated. If you do get started on this, please post. I noticed the 2013 winners/honor/longlist is not on the website, and for 2012 there is not honor/longlist. I have used the "contact us" form on the website to see if those can get posted.

message 8: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 15, 2015 05:14PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments I was sorting out some books listed as finalists this morning and found several that were for the Eric Hoffer Book Awards

http://www.hofferaward.com/HAbookwinn...

The GR Awards are:

Eric Hoffer Book Award
Eric Hoffer Book Award Category Finalists
Eric Hoffer First Horizon Award
Eric Hoffer First Horizon Award Finalists
Montaigne Medal

The "Finalist" and "Shortlist" are really the lowest tier for these awards - not the middle tier - but those lists are very long. I thought it better to give them their own list and leave the Runner-Up and Honorable Mention on the main Winner list in the nominee section. I couldn't make up my mind about a Montaigne Medal Finalist award needs to get its page here at GR. The winners are not too many, so that the finalists could appear on those lists as nominees. A statement (and link?) should be included in the GR Award description, I think.

It's a project for anyone who is interested. Otherwise, I'll get back to it later.

message 9: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Someone has messed about with the Booker Prize nominees. They all used to be down as Nominee for Shortlist or Nominee for Longlist (I did a few of them myself in 2013 and 14 just after the relevant announcements, and always put down which list) and now the word 'longlist' or 'shortlist' has been removed from some of them, e.g. see here:
https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

Not got time to work on this myself just now.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Antonomasia wrote: "Someone has messed about with the Booker Prize nominees. They all used to be down as Nominee for Shortlist or Nominee for Longlist (I did a few of them myself in 2013 and 14 just after the relevan..."

Distressing. The log doesn't show an update to an award winner. I know the logs have an entry when you change an award from a winner to a nominee or vice versa, but that's about the only time I think. I did notice a week or so ago when I entered "for longlist" that the system eliminated the word longlist and converted longlist to nominee. I hope this isn't what happened.

message 11: by Antonomasia (last edited May 24, 2015 03:27PM) (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments It looks like ' for Shortlist' is what's been removed. 'for Longlist' is still there.
Can this be reinstated en masse for the relevant titles, or must it be done one by one?

It appears to have happened going right back to the beginning:

Is it due to some Goodreads system change? It's unlikely users / librarians would have undone all those.

If only it were just Longlist as those didn't start being disclosed until C21st.

I have just amended one (Umbrella by Will Self) - typed 'Shortlist' in the 'Category' box , which worked.
That Category box is new since the last time I edited awards on here.

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 24, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Antonomasia wrote: "That Category box is new since the last time I edited awards on here. "

It's been there quite awhile - a couple of years I think (edit: 2 years might be an exaggeration, but at least close to a year). All of those shortlist titles need to be moved to its own award.

message 13: by Lily (last edited May 27, 2015 10:10PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 191 comments A big one, for an author rather than a book, announced today:

The 2016 Neustadt International Prize for Literature Finalists were announced May 27, 2015:

Can Xue, China
Caryl Churchill, England
Carolyn Forché, United States
Aminatta Forna, Scotland/Sierra Leone
Ann-Marie MacDonald, Canada
Guadalupe Nettel, Mexico
Don Paterson, Scotland
Dubravka Ugrešić, Croatia/The Netherlands
Ghassan Zaqtan, Palestine

Can Xue Caryl Churchill Carolyn Forché Aminatta Forna Ann-Marie MacDonald Guadalupe Nettel Don Paterson Dubravka Ugrešić Ghassan Zaqtan NA (could you take an image from the Neustadt announcement for his author description?)

http://neustadtprize.org/finalists-an...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Lily wrote: "A big one, for an author rather than a book"

Goodreads only lists awards for books, not those for authors.

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 191 comments rivka wrote: "Lily wrote: "A big one, for an author rather than a book"

Goodreads only lists awards for books, not those for authors."

Rivka -- As an award list, yes, or at least, I haven't seen one. However, at least some awards are named on author descriptions. Since Neustadt is as prestigious as it is, I would certainly think it would be a candidate for such treatment, but I don't know Goodreads policy on the topic.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments James Tiptree Jr. Awards have been added with Honor/Shortlist in a separate award.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Tomorrow, I'll start working on fixing the Booker Shortlist titles. It seems to me this is a big enough award that the Shortlist ought to have its own listing.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Booker Shortlist converted to its own list.

message 19: by Lily (last edited Jun 22, 2015 04:25PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 191 comments https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

The designations on nominees are confusing. It would be very helpful if "short list nominee" and "long list nominee" could be used and "nominee" alone avoided.

The prize has a very clear web site, but it is nice to have the information here on Goodreads. (I try to keep it posted on the 21st Century board, but here would be available more broadly.)

Thanks for considering.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Lily wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

The designations on nominees are confusing. It would be very helpful if "short list nominee" and "long list nominee" could be ..."

GR puts in the "nominee" when the book is not the winner (checkbox unchecked) and we don't have control over that wording. Do you think the Shortlist titles should have their own award page?

message 21: by Lily (last edited Jun 22, 2015 05:51PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 191 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Lily wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

The designations on nominees are confusing. It would be very helpful if "short list nominee" and "long list nomin..."

Well, I see several different designations when I look at the list above. It certainly seems to me that consistency would be of value.

I don't know or understand about "checkbox unchecked" -- when or how that is used. While I don't really think a proliferation of lists should really be needed or even particularly helpful, it certainly seems to me that it would be nice to read "shortlist nominee" or "longlist nominee" alongside the book title rather than the many different designations seen.

I think it would be reasonable to replace "longlist nominee" by "shortlist nominee" when the information becomes available, i.e., that readers can assume a shortlist nominee has been a longlist nominee in that same year. If such distinctions are not possible, then perhaps treating books as "nominees" or "winners" is preferable. But what is there now is very confusing, imho.

Ah, in looking at the list again, I realize "nominee" seems to be the term used for "shortlist" selections. I didn't read closely enough to realize for the longlist books, the words "Nominee for Longlist" always appear (albeit wraparound in some cases). Now that I know how to read the list, I'm probably okay with what has been done. I just stand as an example that the wording (and format) can be confusing.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Lily wrote: "I think it would be reasonable to replace "longlist nominee" by "shortlist nominee" when the information becomes available, i.e.,"

That is not a librarian issue, because we don't have control over that wording. If you'd like to start a thread in the Feedback group, I would certainly participate. I'd also like to see "finalist" in a drop down list. I wrote to support a few months back, I'll have to find my email and see what else I had to suggest.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Lily wrote: "Ah, in looking at the list again, I realize "nominee" seems to be the term used for "shortlist" selections. I didn't read closely enough to realize for the longlist books, the words "Nominee for Longlist" always appear (albeit wraparound in some cases). Now that I know how to read the list, I'm probably okay with what has been done. I just stand as an example that the wording (and format) can be confusing. "

No, nominee doesn't mean shortlist. The software seems to be stripping the word shortlist. Those books should read "for Shortlist" just as they do "for Longlist". It did it for the Man Booker and now it has done it for the Women's Prize. I'll report in the Feedback group - this is creating loads of work, but thank you, because it isn't right and should be fixed.

message 24: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 191 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "No, nominee doesn't mean shortlist. The software seems to be stripping the word shortlist. ..."

Thank you, Elizabeth, for your persistence in this conversation.

At this point, I won't open a feedback conversation, even though I do think that having the whole wording on the second line would be advantageous, i.e., "Nominee for...." But that is being too picky.

I am okay with not having separate lists for short lists versus long lists, but I do like to readily recognize short list selections. ("Nominees" is a funny word here in actuality -- long list winners are nominees for short lists and the prize; short list winners are nominees for the prize. But, don't know that we need to go there, at least for now.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments As you may have seen, I opened a Feedback thread about the missing shortlist wording.

I did find my email to GR and asked for the word nominee to be able to be substituted with Finalist, Runner-Up, Shortlisted, Longlisted. I do think "Nominee for Shortlist" is not especially clear. ;-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6584 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Booker Shortlist converted to its own list."

Someone has deleted this entry and combined with the main award, after I spent several days giving the Shortlist its own prominence. I wish if someone wanted to combine them, they would come here and discuss it. Of course, the log shows nothing, because there is no log for awards.