Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > Space! I like that jazz!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryce (new)

Bryce | 72 comments If the title didn't give it away, I've recently become enamored with space, I've been into high fantasy since I was a kid. So my sci-fi experience is limited. Last year I discovered Jack Vance, and couldn't get enough.

I'm looking for some suggestions on books similar to some of the Vance books I've read. He created his own galaxy, and the wrote within it. something like that!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I envy you...sooo much great reading ahead...

first thing I recommend...The High Crusade by Poul Anderson...the idea here is a alien spacecraft crashes back during the crusades, a bunch of crusaders take control and set out to free the Holy Land, but wind up traveling a bit futher than they intend...a cracking good read...not a series, just a standalone novel

also try Leigh Brackett...any of her stuff will do...she wrote a draft of The Empire Strikes Back script before she passed away, was known as Queen of the Space Opera

I like Edmond Hamilton, he was Leigh's husband if I remember right, known as King of the Space Opera, also as the "Universe Wrecker"....he could make the stars thunder!!! Of course my tastes tend twords the old stuff, alot of the Space Cadets around here don't hold to the old masters anymore....

mind, I haven't read alot of Vance, I'll dig out a book from the shelves I have (it's a "if you like this you'll like that" thing) and have more solid recommendations for you.

:D

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:20AM) (new)

Depending on exactly what it was you liked about the Vance books... well, anyway, there's a lot of space opera to be had:

I'd second Poul Anderson, but I'm more inclined to suggest the Flandry novels, e.g. Ensign Flandry.

Larry Niven's "Known Space" series; probably start with Ringworld. Niven's multi-alien universe is used a bunch of other stories & novels he wrote.

Lois McMasters Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan saga. I'd suggest starting with Falling Free and then The Vor Game, and skip the Cordelia baby Miles stories.

Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.

Cherryh's Downbelow Station, and sequels & related stories in her universe.

Corey's Expanse series, starting with Leviathan Wakes. The first three books are in our solar system, and then they spread it out a bit.

Herbert's Dune series.

Moon's Serrano/Suiza "Familias Regnant" universe, e.g. Hunting Party

Alan Dean Foster's Commonwealth stories (Nor Crystal Tears)

David Weber, either Honor Harrington or Safehold series.

Asimov's Galactic Empire (The Currents of Space) and Foundation series. (Asimov eventually smashed his Galactic Empire & Foundation universe together, plus his Robot novels. I'm less impressed with the retcon than the original novels.)

..... so many books.... but that's enough for tonight. :)

message 4: by Bryce (new)

Bryce | 72 comments Wow! that is quite the list you two compiled, and it seems as though that is the tip of the ice berg. Thanks!

Now, if I were to pin point what I like best about Vance, I would say it's the man limitless imagination. He had a way of creating these beautiful worlds, and creatures, that just made me want to visit them, and he could do it all in a few sentences or paragraphs. The Demon Prince novels are a great example, and really the books that introduced me to Vance, and fueled my craving for space adventure novels.

Have either of you read The Uplift novels by David Brin? ( Sorry using the app, can't link with this stupid thing)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Bryce wrote: "Have either of you read The Uplift novels by David Brin? ( Sorry using the app, can't link with this stupid thing)..."

I've read Sundiver & Startide Rising, though it was some time ago, I recall liking them (and the latter won both Hugo & Nebula Awards for Best Novel.) Brin writes solid scifi.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 329 comments Hey, huge JV fan over here. You might want to check out the "Beyond Jack Vance" group here on Goodreads- they have several threads on this topic.

For my money, your best bets are Nine Princes in Amber, Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was, and actually My Man Jeeves.