Bibliophiles of Loathing discussion

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
This topic is about To Say Nothing of the Dog
Books 2015 > May - To Say Nothing Of The Dog

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodez, Jiggly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodez (jodez4) | 58 comments Mod
Discuss!

message 2: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaun (ohnoanotherputz) | 58 comments Mod
I knew nothing about this book going in except that it involved time travel and was apparently the second book set in the same world (though apparently you don't need to read the first one, I certainly was never lost or felt like I was missing something that happened earlier.)

I was pleasantly surprised! The Victorian Era is not something I am particularly interested in, but it made for a good fish out of water story. Ned's bumbling through the era is fun because he is just as ill prepared to deal with the absurdities of the time as I was as a reader.

Besides not caring for the Victorian Era I'm generally not super into time travel, however I can make an exception for comedy. Time travel can be a great comedic device. While I sort of rolled my eyes at the self correcting nature of time and the convoluted lengths it went to to right itself, I did rather enjoy how it all came down to the simple notions of old detective novels. The Butler always does it! If not, it is the least likely person!

I really liked the characters, they were suitably ludicrous. The seance with competing frauds was easily my favorite scene. Plus the fish obsessed professor who was declared dead.

It was fun to see how much they tried to set time right, and how little effect it had, yet things wound up fine despite them. I appreciated the ridiculous aspects of things. The whole fabric of time was nearly ripped apart by something as stupid as a bird stump (which I looked up the meaning of long before it was explained because I was confused) And then it ends up the person so obsessed with it thought it was horribly ugly anyway. What a perfect punchline.

I did feel sometimes like I wasn't literary enough to appreciate everything. Quotes from old books and quick history lessons sorta went over my head. It didn't ruin the book, but it did make me feel dumb!

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it and I am curious to read the previous book.

message 3: by Kit (new)

Kit Kooiker | 19 comments I was unable to finish the book, as I couldn't renew it at the library because there was a wait list! Darn other people wanting to read books, who do they think they are?

However, I liked the parts I read, and will probably pick it back up soon.

I really liked the time lag idea, as it made it okay for the main character to be a blundering idiot, which often bothers me about main characters.

message 4: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaun (ohnoanotherputz) | 58 comments Mod
I would recommend picking it back up, I rather enjoyed it! All you readers out there that seemed to have skipped this one, go read it! It's much better than April's book that for some reason everyone read (and no one liked)

message 5: by Jodez, Jiggly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodez (jodez4) | 58 comments Mod
So I go around to reading this, finally, and I'm glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed it, had more of a giggle considering the major dates in the book and when I happened to read it (since I'm a month late). I also have a sudden urge to get myself a bulldog...

Definitely going to track down the rest of the series when I catch up on my other reading (including finally finishing the dreaded book from April).

Seconding Putz' recommendation for those of you that haven't read it to do so.