YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy #1) by Jessica Day George | Start Date: May 7th, 2015

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Apr 28, 2015 03:05PM) (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn…

Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.

Captivating from start to finish, Jessica Day George’s take on the Grimms’ tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses demonstrates yet again her mastery at spinning something entirely fresh out of a story you thought you knew.

message 2: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Soldier - (view spoiler)

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments I feel so behind on BR. Fighting a cold, but still trying to catch up on them all. :(

message 4: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Melanie wrote: "I feel so behind on BR. Fighting a cold, but still trying to catch up on them all. :("

That's all right, hope you feel better soon :)

message 5: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments 25% (view spoiler)

message 6: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments 30% - (view spoiler)

message 7: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments 46% - (view spoiler)

message 8: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments 62% - (view spoiler)

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Finished page 82

So the book starts out with King Under Stone. He's not the same King as King Gregor, correct? I'm thinking that King Under Stone is the person that the 12 sisters are cursed to and whose Midnight Ball they go to every night...and that's why Poppy laughed when she said to Galen "They are the things that you find crawling under a rock. Under a stone, actually."

message 10: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments 78% - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Melanie wrote: "Finished page 82

So the book starts out with King Under Stone. He's not the same King as King Gregor, correct? I'm thinking that King Under Stone is the person that the 12 sisters are cursed to an..."

No, he isn't the same king as king Gregor. Later in the book it will be explained further exactly who he is.

message 12: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Finished - (view spoiler)

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments I'm finished too! I'll be able to look over your spoilers when I get on the computer later.

I really enjoyed this book! It was really cool the way Galen stopped Kind Under Stone and how he sealed the entrance. I'm also really happy the Heinrich is alive!

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Selma wrote: "62% - [spoilers removed]"

I loved when Galen started to figure things out! It was when the story really picked up for me. :D

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Selma wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

I didn't read the blurb recently, so I didn't know that. Yeah, they definitely don't know each other enough to have true love (in my opinion), but it is a fairytale, so...

message 16: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Melanie wrote: "Selma wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

I didn't read the blurb recently, so I didn't know that. Yeah, they definitely don't know each other enough to have true love (in my opinion), but it is a f..."

Yes, of course they didn't really need to know each other, but I thought it might be nice if they had had more than one conversation.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Selma wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Selma wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

I didn't read the blurb recently, so I didn't know that. Yeah, they definitely don't know each other enough to have true love (in my opinion..."

I agree! I would have preferred for them to actually have gotten to know each other before they got engaged.

Do you think you'll read the next one?

message 18: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Melanie wrote: "Selma wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Selma wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

I didn't read the blurb recently, so I didn't know that. Yeah, they definitely don't know each other enough to have true love ..."

I don't know yet, but I might. Will you?

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments I just read the book's description and I think I will read the next book (it sounds like a fun read!), I'm just not sure when. :)

message 20: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 16%
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Noella wrote: "16%
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 40%
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 60% (view spoiler)

message 24: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 74% (view spoiler)

message 25: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments Selma wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Noella (new)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments Finished
(view spoiler)