English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > May 2015 read-along.

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 28, 2015 01:58PM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4406 comments Mod
We have only one new book this month from Quentin Bates called Summerchill. We will add books as they come out, as always. Good reading.

message 2: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) | 35 comments Hope you enjoy it... Happy to answer any questions about Summerchill.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments Just pre-ordered this book, one of my favorite authors.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 100 comments Just pre-ordered it too!

message 5: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 30, 2015 06:22AM) (new)

I see that last months book of Snow Blind Snowblind by Ragnar Jónasson translated by Quentin Bates is out of stock in the U.S. even for the Kindle. There is a story about his book in "Murder is Everywhere" in todays story.

message 6: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) | 35 comments Very pleased to see you're ordering Summerchill...
The kindle version of Snowblind should be available in the US already, but the paperback won't be until October.
It's an odd feeling to have two books out almost side-by-side

message 7: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Another book that has just been published is The Ravens by Vidar Sundstøl out April 15 , 2015. This is his third book in a trilogy of a forester working in northern Minnesota. He's living in Norway with his family.

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D | 122 comments I would be interested in knowing what people thought about the first two books.

message 9: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

You learn everything in the first book. The second is a hunt with his brother.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (1meow1) | 102 comments I read the second book and it was soooo boring. I was very disappointed. I read the first one and thought it was good enough to try
the second. I guess if you're into hunting you might be interested but a whole book???? There are too many other good books to enjoy. I don't think I'll even bother with the third.

message 11: by Steven T. (new)

Steven T. Murray | 79 comments The point of the second book is: Will either brother kill the other? And what if Lance's brother didn't do it? The third book is great and ties everything up neatly. Skip the second if you must!

message 12: by Steven T. (new)

Steven T. Murray | 79 comments Info in the first book is only a red herring. You'll never guess who killed the Norwegian tourist!

message 13: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

New book to me is a general book, no crime, called Butterflies in November by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir published in December 9, 2014. Sound interesting about Iceland.

message 14: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D | 122 comments Mary....I have to agree with you. I was very disappointed in this author and will not bother reading the third book. Let me tell you why. I live in Minnesota and we have an excellent author...William Kent Krueger.....whose crime novels take place in Northern Minnesota. In my opinion Vidar Sundstol is a William Kent Krueger wanna-be! And that will never be!

message 15: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited May 05, 2015 01:54PM) (new)

I lived in Northern Minnesota and find both William Kent Krueger and Vidar Sundstøl both interesting because Mr. Krueger is more in the middle of Minnesota and Mr, Sundstøl is in the northeastern part of the state. You forget that Nevada Barr has three books, one on northeastern Minnesota and 2 on Isle Royal in Michigan which is closer to Minnesota than Michigan. But all the authors have something to offer.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (1meow1) | 102 comments Bobbi, thanks for the information on William Kent Krueger. I was surprised to see that he wrote the book, Ordinary Grace, which is on my list of books to read. I enjoy books that are going to tell me about the cultural aspects of the people who live in the area. That's why I enjoy Tony Hillerman's books so much. And now his wife, Anne, has taken up where he left off.

message 17: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 24 comments Mary, Anne Hillerman is Tony's oldest daughter. His wife's name is Marie. I loved all of Tony's books and I don't think anyone can duplicate his writing style. Krueger's standalone, Ordinary Grace, is an outstanding, award-winning book, but it isn't part of the Cork O'Connor series, which you should also put on your TBR list. There are ??? a dozen and they sound like something you would enjoy. Oh dear. How does all this have anything to do with Nordic? Snow. They all have lots of snow.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments Just picked up Anne Hillermans book from the library. It has received great reviews from people who doubted she could write it.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary (1meow1) | 102 comments Oops! Thanks Harriet for that correction. Yes there were people who thought Anne Hillerman couldn't pull it off but I would have to say it is a seamless
transition. So glad she's continuing the tradition.

message 20: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 24 comments Just for the record, I was not impressed with Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman. I found it boring and formulaic. I won't waste time reading more of the same. I mention this because I would guess that many who didn't find her writing exceptional rarely post reviews. IMHO I feel characters belong to the author who created them, breathed life into them. When they're gone, so is that life. Of all the people who would agree with this is Tony Hillerman. He lost Leaphorn legally, at one time, and had to buy him back. That is how Chee was born, during that lost time.

message 21: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited May 08, 2015 12:09PM) (new)

I got Butterflies in November by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir from the library and I'm impressed, so much so I've stopped the two other books I'm reading for now. It's wacko.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea O'Neill | 19 comments I am impressed that you have three books going simultaneously! Thanks for the tip.

message 23: by Steven T. (new)

Steven T. Murray | 79 comments Hey Harriet, I can't wait to hear what you think of the upcoming 4th Millennium tome (not by Stieg Larsson), out September 1 all over the world. The English translation is by some Brit we've never heard of.

message 24: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 24 comments Steven T. wrote: "Hey Harriet, I can't wait to hear what you think of the upcoming 4th Millennium tome (not by Stieg Larsson), out September 1 all over the world. The English translation is by some Brit we've never..."

Oh my. I don't think I'd read that book even if it arrived free in the mail. Some of us must stand up for the principle of just behavior. Goodness, don't get me started. Another reason for ignoring it would be because Stieg Larsson did not write it and you did not translate it. Not surprising the duo will plaster Stieg's name all over it for the sake of making more money.

On the good news front, I received THE LAND OF DREAMS (started reading it today) and ONLY THE DEAD. Both translated by Tiina Nunnally (actually printed on the covers!!!) The author's name on the covers is Vidar Sundstol, but the copyright is listed by Tiden Norsk Forlag. I'm confused.

message 25: by Steven T. (new)

Steven T. Murray | 79 comments Yes, Tiina works right down the hall (in our house). She's been getting great advance reviews (stars in PW and LJ) on that trilogy, and UMinnesota is overjoyed to have some bestsellers. I'll ask Tiina to explain the copyright question...

message 26: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I've got all 3 books, one down two to go.

message 27: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I finished The Ravens by Vidar Sundstøl and I have to agree with Mary, because of writing about the murder of the Norwegian over and over. All 3 books had the repetition of the murder in them and unless you start from the 3 book it's unnecessary to repeat it. Being a trilogy it's distracting. Otherwise I gave it 3 stars because of it.

message 28: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 100 comments I finished Summerchill yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll definitely be reading more by Quentin Bates.

message 29: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D | 122 comments Just returned home after my annual visit to Winnipeg, Canada....and a visit to the Whodunit Mystery Book Store. Came away with 15 new books...many by new authors for me. Not all Nordic. That should keep me plenty busy!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments I agree Quentin Bates is one of my favorites.

message 31: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited May 26, 2015 06:43PM) (new)

I liked the way Quentin handled Logi and his problem with the heavies. Not in favor of killing but it was necessary to stay alive. Nice exit in the end. Yay, Quentin!

message 32: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I finished Snowblind by Ragnar Jónasson and thought that he did a great job of making you feel claustrophobic. I liked all his characters and Ari Thor was a beginner fresh out of the police academy raring to go to work. He had a neat surprise ending which really fooled me.

message 33: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments I read it recently and thought it was pretty good. The style reminded me more of the books of British author Michael Ridpath whose books are set in Iceland, than any of the Icelandic authors I have read.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments I cant get that book as Amazon doesn't have it and neither does my library.

message 35: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I got it for my Kindle on Amazon. Look there, I also got Snowblind by Edward Weinman to compare him with Jónasson also on Kindle Amazon.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments Are you in the US? Amazon tells me it's not available.

message 37: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Yes, the good old USA. Happy 4th of July tomorrow!

message 38: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Yes, maybe there out just now, try later.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments Same to you.

message 40: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) | 35 comments Kenneth wrote: "I got it for my Kindle on Amazon. Look there, I also got Snowblind by Edward Weinman to compare him with Jónasson also on Kindle Amazon."

Snowblind is with a different publisher in the US, so it's not likely to be available there until next year.

message 41: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I already have it.

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments not me.

message 43: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 04, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Kindle is a different screen than books on Amazon are you sure your on it. It's the fifth one down from the top. Key in Snow Blind and it will be Edward Weinman.

message 44: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Jul 04, 2015 11:42PM) (new)

Sharon | 2435 comments Mod
Kenneth wrote: "Kindle is a different screen than books on Amazon are you sure your on it. It's the fifth one down from the top. Key in Snow Blind and it will be Edward Weinman."

Just a thought....just search authors and books on Amazon.com. Don't limit yourself to categories until you get where you want with your search. If that fails search Goodreads then where it gives options, search further for the link path.
I seldom use Kindle unless I cannot get a book elsewhere and that is rare nowadays! I prefer iBook shop and reader myself. Scribd. Is good and Kobo. But if you get an ePub of a book you can then open and read in any ebook reader APP you have.

After searching goodreads. This may give a clue to what's going wrong. One word! Good luck.
Snowblind (66 Degrees North Book 2)
by Edward Weinman
3.5 of 5 stars 3.50 · rating details · 2 ratings · 0 reviews
Iceland was once the pride of Europe—a strong economy, beautiful people, supposedly one of the happiest nations on Earth. Then it went bankrupt. Snowblind examines Iceland at exactly this moment, detailing what happens when a drug deal turns sour. At the heart of the novel lies the fragile relationship between Jón, a morally confused banker, and his estranged brother Palli. As winter suffocates them with 20 hours of darkness, the brothers find themselves on the run from Gummi, Iceland’s only true homicide detective. As they crisscross Iceland, the torturous chase unearths a bewitching country, unforgiving terrain and spiritual darkness that leads to murder. (less)

message 45: by Agnes (new)

Agnes Muscoreil (witchy1) | 22 comments Thanks to all I finally found Snowblind on Amazon!!