The Rebelution discussion

Mere Christianity
This topic is about Mere Christianity
Discussions > Book discussion: Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Here you can post your thoughts and talk about Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Once you've read it, or if you've already read it, be sure to tell us what you think!!

Siobhan (siobhanpatricia) I read this book two weeks ago and throughly enjoyed it with C.S. Lewis's witty remarks and incredible theological intellect. I gave it five stars!

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) It's probably fairly expensive as an e-book, but it's worth it!! Have you tried inter library loan? You can usually find a book your library doesn't have that way.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris | 34 comments Another option is to see if your library has an e-book lending program, like Overdrive. You can borrow the e-book from your library and it disappears after 2 weeks (or however long your library lets you check out books).

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Green | 3 comments Great choice. I just reread this with my son in April.

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I just finished it today!! I thought it was awesome. I don't know why I never read it before, but ever since I read The Screwtape Letters I've been wanting to. I actually thought we owned it, but it turned out we didn't and we had to get it from the library. This is definitely a book we have to buy!! :)
Chris, I've done the e-book lending once, but it's so hard to find available books. I read The Book Thief that way, but I had to wait a couple months before I could get it. I haven't done it since just because of the inconvenience, plus I can usually find the book I want through inter library loan. It's still an option though if you can't find it that way. I find it strange that you need to put an e-book on hold. Shouldn't they have unlimited copies? I mean it's not like a physical book. Oh well, it doesn't matter that much. ;)

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Green | 3 comments Hey Tamara,
The way library loans with ebooks works is just like a physical book. If they have purchased one ebook copy, then only one copy can be borrowed by library patrons.

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Oh, thanks for explaining that!!! I knew there was a reason, but I just couldn't think of any. I probably should have looked it up. ;)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Hey guys, just so you know I'm adding Mere Christianity to the groups bookshelf. We can still discuss it, but I just thought I should tell you.

message 10: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris | 34 comments I agree with you Paul, but I don't think it's necessary to throw out all of his work because some of it is unbiblical. A lot of it is biblical. I do think we need to be careful when reading his work, but we can still learn from it.

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I haven't looked into this issue much, so I can't say I know a lot about it. I definitely don't agree with some of his theology, but I never noticed anything blatantly unbiblical about his writings. I think we all have to be very cautious when reading any book by any author (except the Bible of course). We should weigh anything against the Bible that claims to be Christian, including authors we may respect. This is a principle I've been trying to practice in all my reading. While reading Mere Christianity I didn't find anything unbiblical, but maybe I wasn't reading very thoroughly. I will look into this more.