YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Nightingale
This topic is about The Nightingale
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah - Restarting April 28th 2020

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

FRANCE, 1939

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When France is overrun, Vianne is forced to take an enemy into her house, and suddenly her every move is watched; her life and her child’s life is at constant risk. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates around her, she must make one terrible choice after another.

Vianne’s sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old girl, searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth. While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets the compelling and mysterious Gäetan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within France, and she falls in love as only the young can...completely. When he betrays her, Isabelle races headlong into danger and joins the Resistance, never looking back or giving a thought to the real--and deadly--consequences.

With courage, grace and powerful insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah takes her talented pen to the epic panorama of WWII and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women’s war. The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn France--a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 30 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 35 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Ending (view spoiler)

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Well I'm about a week late but FINALLY starting this!

I really liked the line in the very first page: "In love we find out when we want to be; in war we find out who we are"

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Through Chapter 8 - I'm liking this so far.. It is a good mix of history with real life, every day going on's.. The two main characters are very different from each other so that makes it even more interesting. We get to see it from two sides.

message 9: by ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (last edited May 26, 2015 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Rachael wrote: "Through Chapter 8 - I'm liking this so far.. It is a good mix of history with real life, every day going on's.. The two main characters are very different from each other so that makes it even more..."

I wasn't a fan of the younger sister but i could understand each woman's decision and you'll definitely like how it ends .. Can't wait to read what you think about it :)

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Through Chapter 24 - I agree, I'm liking the older sister and her story much better. (view spoiler)

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ wrote: "Chapter 30 [spoilers removed]"

You called that one!! Get worse it did

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Chapter 35 (view spoiler)

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Chapter 38 (view spoiler)

Rachael (classycupcakezz) | 6113 comments Finished! I loved this book.. it was just the right amount of "history" and "fiction" It kept me interested and I really liked the characters and loved following them through their whole lives. I feel like I really knew them, really understood them. Their similarities and their differences; their struggles and their achievements. Very good read, 4 stars from me

message 15: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
******************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 21st of September 2018

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83315 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 27th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Up to chapter 9 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 14306 comments Ch 12 (view spoiler)

Ch 19 (view spoiler)

Ch 31 (view spoiler)

Finished (view spoiler)

message 19: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 14306 comments ✨Skye✨ wrote: "Up to chapter 9 [spoilers removed]"

I really loved the writing too and it's definitely not an easy topic to read about ever

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Up to chapter 17 (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Up to chapter 25 (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Andrea wrote: "Ch 12 [spoilers removed]

Ch 19 [spoilers removed]

Ch 31 [spoilers removed]

Finished [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments End (view spoiler)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting October 2nd 2019. Happy Reading ☺

message 25: by ~T~ (new) - rated it 5 stars

~T~ (tasheana23) | 395 comments Starting todayyy! :D

Heather | 10195 comments So am I!!!

message 27: by ~T~ (new) - rated it 5 stars

~T~ (tasheana23) | 395 comments Through chapter 14: (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Is there anyone still reading this book?

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 10- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 20- So much has happened! (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 23- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Chapter 35- (view spoiler)

Katie | 3074 comments Finished- (view spoiler)

Date changed. Restarting April 28th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

message 35: by Robin P (last edited Apr 28, 2020 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 63 comments chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Robin P (last edited Apr 29, 2020 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 63 comments Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

Robin P | 63 comments I was watching a documentary on World War 2 and I got to know that towards the end of the war, when it became obvious that the Allies had vanquished their opponents and Hitler retrieved into his hiding place, the German troops were left headless and therefore, the rape, murder and plunder increased manifolds. It gave an open reign to soldiers to do as they pleased since there was no hierarchy of command. It was horrible…

Robin P | 63 comments Chapter 17
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Lau (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lau | 28 comments I'm finally here! For whatever reason I'm not able to access the link or the group on my phone. I'll try and condense my review to catch up.
I felt this book started off really well.

(view spoiler)

I don't personally know anyone who fought in WWII but I live in an army city in Canada so a lot my patients have been overseas. What about you?

I wonder if Rachel has been less in the pictures since (view spoiler)

Who do you think the old lady is?

message 40: by Lau (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lau | 28 comments I"m just starting chapter 20 and I'll be back on tonight and I'll be a better buddy read now that I can access this :)

message 41: by Lau (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lau | 28 comments chapter 22 has made me cry like baby... (view spoiler)

message 42: by Lau (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lau | 28 comments It's 3am in Ontario and I just finished because I literally could NOT put this down. My face and eyes are swollen from crying so much and I felt like it was one stab in the heart after another.
(view spoiler)