812 Reading Responses discussion

April Reading Responses > 4/28: BookMark Choice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Simek (new)

Ms. Simek | 1 comments Choose a question from your bookmark that you understand and write a reading response.

Remember to make sure that your topic sentence:
-includes important text info
-restates the key words of the question
-contains your specific answer to the question

Please consult your rubric and models to ensure that you are doing your best work!

For a “4”: Did I….
• Write a topic sentence that provided the claim and important text information, such as the title, author, and genre of my text?
• Provide background of what is happening in the text so my reader understands what I’m talking about? Did I say what was happening at the time of the quote/evidence?
• Find evidence from the text that proves that the change was important?
• Paraphrase (This shows....) and then analyze how my quote proves my claim ("This proves that ____________________was an important moment because.../This interested me because..../I disliked this because..../This changed my point of view because.....)?
• Write a conclusion sentence that restates your claim in a different way?

message 2: by Farhanali (new)

Farhanali | 35 comments In the book Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers a realistic fiction novel. It is about a boy who grew up with out a mother and that he only had a dad and that he has a mother in law now. What the author wanted his readers to learn is that you shouldn't get addicted on betting. For example in the book it said that "when my dad found out what had happened, he was angry. Mamma's betting on the numbers, her chasing dreams, was out of control." This shows that the author was trying to show his readers that you shouldn't get addicted on betting because it can affect your family. This proves that the text was trying to support what the author was trying to say about getting addicted on betting and it can cause problems. Overall, the author was trying to make the reader aware of getting into deep habits and that it will not only affect you.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Christina | 30 comments In the book , Aphrodite The Beauty by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams, the main problem in the book is that Aphrodite can't stand boys looking at her all the time especially considering that she is the goddess of love and beauty. For example, " It seemed they had only to look at her to fall hopelessly in love. That wasn't her fault, of course. It was just the way things were." (16) This shows that even though she's use to the attention, she still doesn't feel comfortable 100% yet. Also, if she could change this problem, the quote shows that she probably would. This proves that Aphrodite isn't happy with this issue and she wants it to stop even if she is the goddess of beauty and love. Therefore, Aprohdite having boys stare at her all day long is the main issue in the book.

message 4: by Farhanali (new)

Farhanali | 35 comments In the book Buddha boy a realistic fiction novel by Kathe Koja. It was about a kid named Buddy Boy who likes art and that he wears a dragon t shirt he also gets treated differently. What else the author could have included in the book was more details of how Buddy Boy was a good artist. For example in the text it says "But he's a really good artist"(38). This shows that the author didn't create a image in the readers head of how good his art skills are and how his drawing looks like. This proves that the author did not provide enough details within the text to make the reader imagine or make the reader know how his art work look like. Overall, the author did not make the text interesting because it had a lack of details in the text.