Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

General Discussions > MIND MELD: The Best Sword & Sorcery Stories - SF Signal

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 8 comments I thought people in this group might appreciate this blogpost. SFSignal asked some fantasy authors for their best S&S picks here's what they had to say

The authors the asked for their favorites included:

● ŸŸŸMartha Wells
● Steven Brust
● Mercedes Lackey
● James Enge
● Mary Robinette Kowal
● Mark Chadbourn
● P.C. Hodgell
● Gail Z. Martin
● Brandon Sanderson
● Lou Anders

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments New generation. Mine would have been far different

message 3: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 388 comments A lot of those choices are not S&S in my opinion. Not REAL S&S...

message 4: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2224 comments Mod
I think that's a list of authors who gave their opinion, not the list of Sword and Sorcery authors

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments Ahh, gotcha

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 73 comments Charles wrote: "New generation. Mine would have been far different"

Mine as well.

message 7: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1201 comments Mod
And some interesting discussion in the comment thread ...

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom Thanks for the post. Not sure how I missed it. I love these kind of lists. I always manage to add something to my TBR list.

message 9: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 205 comments Charles wrote: "New generation. Mine would have been far different"

What would your list be?

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments For Sword and Sorcery: Robert E. Howard, Karl Edward Wagner, David Gemmell, C. L. Moore, and Glen Cook.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom like that list Charles except I haven't read Moore, yet

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments she did a collection about a female warrior named Jirel of Joiry. Well worth seeking out.

message 13: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 388 comments Hey Charles, I have yet to read any Cook. You feel it is true S&S? Any particular books? Or just start with the first Black Company books? Cook seems to have quite s few novels, going back to the early '80s..,

message 14: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

S.wagenaar wrote: "Hey Charles, I have yet to read any Cook. You feel it is true S&S? Any particular books? Or just start with the first Black Company books? Cook seems to have quite s few novels, going back to the e..."

Myself, I'd definitely say start at the beginning of the Black Company series -- they start as kind of military fantasy/sword & sorcery, and progress to something more epic as the series continues.

He's also written at least a couple of standalone books -- The Swordbearer and The Tower of Fear -- that I'm reminded I haven't read yet.

message 15: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments I don't think you can go wrong with the first three Black Company books, the Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose. Be aware that Cook's style in the Black Company series is unique. It took me some pages to adjust to his way of telling the story, but I soon fell in love with it.

message 16: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 205 comments I am all about some Howard. Gemmell's on my TBR list, specifically the Jerusalem Man books.

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom Ashe wrote: "I am all about some Howard. Gemmell's on my TBR list, specifically the Jerusalem Man books."

Gemmell Dranai series is great, Legend being the best. And you really don't have to read them in order because each book is self-contained. Worst case reading them out of order would be like watching the old James Bond movies -not the new ones- out of order.

message 18: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 205 comments Yeah I've seen plenty of folks praise Legend so that'll definitely get read at some point as well.

message 19: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments Legend was good but I actually thought Druss the Legend, was better. My favorite is the Swords of Night and Day, which is not a Druss book. I'd read them in order if I could. I think it helps a bit, although they certainly can be enjoyed out of order.

message 20: by Jason M (new)

Jason M Waltz (worddancer) | 302 comments here's a new interview with the author of a new book who mentions some familiar names:
"What are you reading at the moment and who are the fantasy authors you come back to time and time again?

How much trouble will I be in if I admit I’m only now reading A Game of Thrones? I am also a fan of the ongoing comic series Rat Queens, and Gail Simone’s run on Red Sonja. If I start listing my favourite go-to fantasists I’ll never stop, but I do think C.L. Moore, Charles Saunders, and Michael Shea all deserve far more attention than they receive these days."

http://www.orbitbooks.net/interview/c...

I'm currently reading the 7 online chapters.

message 21: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

I'll also give a big thumbs-up to Rat Queens.

And as it happens, A Crown for Cold Silver is also somewhere on my list.

message 22: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 205 comments Rat Queens is freaking amazing. Totally in love with it.

message 23: by Michael (last edited May 05, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 73 comments Charles wrote: "For Sword and Sorcery: Robert E. Howard, Karl Edward Wagner, David Gemmell, C. L. Moore, and Glen Cook."

I have not read Gemmel or Glen Cook but have books by them and plan to. I agree about C L Moore (my favorite was "Hellsgarde" which is the first story by her I ever read and of course Wagner and Howard is my favorite of all time. I would also have to add Fritz Leiber for his Ffahrd and the Grey Mouser stories. It's been a long time since I read them but I loved them almost as much as Conan.
By the way I just ordered one of your books on Amazon..First in the Talera Cycle. I liked a short story you wrote in one of the Robert E Howard Collections and your reviews in the Dark Man are spot on. I look forward to reading your books.

message 24: by Michael (last edited May 05, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 73 comments Jason M wrote: "here's a new interview with the author of a new book who mentions some familiar names:
"What are you reading at the moment and who are the fantasy authors you come back to time and time again?

How..."

As far as "Game of Thrones" you would be in no trouble with me. I like the HBO show but I only read the first book before I started watching the show. I don't know if I will ever read the rest. I have too many other books to read and they are not high on my list. For one thing they are way too wordy. Every book is 1000 pages! As mentioned too many other books I want to read right now!

message 25: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments Michael wrote: "I have not read Gemmel or Glen Cook but have books by them and plan to. I a..."

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you enjoy Swords of Talera. More ERB inspired than Howard but the sequels brought in more sword and sorcery elements.

Yes, I should have thought of Leiber. I've read all his Fafhrd and Grey Mouser tales, though it's been a while for me as well. Good stuff.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 73 comments I gathered that from reading the blurb about it. I love ERB's Barsoom stories too! I should be getting it any day!