Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Blog Scenes/Passages From Your Book

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments I was goofing around recently and posted a snippet from my roughdraft on FB (rough being the key word) but got a few piqued eyebrows and inquiring questions as a result.

I thought - especially for authors with upcoming release - maybe do a game or countdown on your blogs (or such) and reveal enticing bits of your book so people can sample your style and see what humor, excitement or mystery awaits them :)

message 2: by Pavan (new)

Pavan Kaur (pavankaur) | 89 comments I like this idea, my book is out for pre order and will be realised on Saturday 2nd May so the next three days I might post bits of the book and see what readers think.
Thanks for the idea xx

message 3: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Works like a freaking charm. I always have extra stuff posted on my blog about my books... scenes, character profiles, background information... it piques interest. Most definitely. I can actually see a small uptick in sales around the time I post something particularly significant... the cover image of an upcoming title, etc.

message 4: by Pavan (new)

Pavan Kaur (pavankaur) | 89 comments Jenycka wrote: "Works like a freaking charm. I always have extra stuff posted on my blog about my books... scenes, character profiles, background information... it piques interest. Most definitely. I can actually ..."

Character profile, what do you right for that?

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis | 5 comments Pavan wrote: "Jenycka wrote: "Works like a freaking charm. I always have extra stuff posted on my blog about my books... scenes, character profiles, background information... it piques interest. Most definitely...."

I just read it - it's looking great! I think that's a great idea.

message 6: by Dianne (last edited Apr 28, 2015 04:14PM) (new)

Dianne Bunnell | 61 comments About ten days before my book was released, I posted one a day for ten days a variety of intriguing snippets of my book - with a picture - on my blog. It seemed to help drive up the number of people reading my blog, and hopefully, the number of sales when the book was released.

message 7: by Pavan (new)

Pavan Kaur (pavankaur) | 89 comments Dianne wrote: "About ten days before my book was released, I posted intriguing snippets of my book - with a picture - on my blog. It seemed to help drive up the number of people reading my blog, and hopefully, th..."

Even though I have three days I think the three days I will fill with a little part of a chapter, thurdays meet Kim Turner, friday meet Nick Webb.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I like this idea too. I don't think I have many blog followers yet though so I feel like I'm talking to myself or my few friends and family who look in on it. Today, I posted a quote (one of my favorites) from my book. Also pinned it to Pinterest to hopefully reach more people there. I have more followers in Pinterest then I do anywhere else, although (*sigh*) I have been doing Pinterest a long time. I can be impatient sometimes, but I'm going to keep doing the blog and hope more followers trickle in as time goes on. So definitely will start doing more from my book, quotes and such on my blog.

message 9: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Amanda, the blogging takes time to build up. It's only been fairly recently that I'm starting to see serious traffic. I make sure it's linked to my author profiles, like on GR, Amazon, and Smashwords, so I can keep pushing traffic through there.

Having a blog that is dedicated to your books shows readers that you are serious about engaging with them and about generating content and keeping them entertained. Adding a little bit of information beyond what's in the story (but not totally necessary to the story) helps the reader feel like they are part of something exclusive if they read the blog.

Pavan, character profiles are basically a few short paragraphs giving some background (beyond what is in the book) and some of the conflict that the character will undergo in the story. A picture always goes over well.

If you need an example, check this out.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Oh yes I know it takes time. It's only been a week for me...haha! I guess I need more patience:) I've been on Pinterest for over two years so I know I'm in for a long haul and that's okay because this is something I want to do. This is my new passion:)

message 11: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments You can do it. Look at the author blogs you like, and emulate those things that you think are the most compelling. Make sure links to purchase the books are available right on the blog, so if people like the look of it, they can buy it really easy.

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments We posted sample chapter on our blog when we blew a deadline. It does work. That said, I've noticed that the response depends heavily on genre. Readers in our genre don't follow author blogs much.

So, to echo Jenycka's comment above, learn from blogs in your field and reach out to them as appropriate. (That's another thing that seems to vary widely.)

message 13: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments I really like the idea of 'snippet-posting' on the website. Thanks for the great suggestion.

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments I think if "let the writing speak for itself" is a motto of authors, it's a way to show readers how you tell a story - if it's to their liking it may knock them off the fence because they see what charm is there :)

message 15: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Courtney wrote: "I think if "let the writing speak for itself" is a motto of authors, it's a way to show readers how you tell a story - if it's to their liking it may knock them off the fence because they see what ..."

There's a reason I'm more inclined to buy a block of cheese, or a market fresh sushi, if I've been given a free sample of it. I like this idea very much.

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Who knows? If authors are on chummy terms/have read each other's work they could help hype countdowns by blogging snippets for one another - shrug -