You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
This topic is about Ancillary Justice
Buddy Reads > Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2015 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Esther, Casceil and myself will be reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie for the May Space theme read. We will be reading it between May 1 and May 31 - no set start date. Feel free to join us - I know there were a lot of nominations for this book so I'm guessing we'll get a few more takers.

I for one am really looking forward to it.

Casceil | 2641 comments I'm not sure when I will be starting it. I have it on my Kindle, but I'm trying to read three other books at the same time. If people start commenting though, that will motivate me.

message 3: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4443 comments I will start when I am done with my current book. Probably end of next week.

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments I would like to join this buddy read. I have a few books I am trying to finish so I may not be able to start it right away.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments The more the merrier Amend.

I was between books so I actually started reading this on my way to work today.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments As I said, I started this yesterday. Thought I'd write a few of my thoughts down now - don't let it pressure you in to starting though - I know I've jumped the gun.

I really like the writing style. Leckie throws you in to the middle of a story so I feel a little lost at the moment. She makes you work for it. The story is purposely ambiguous leaving the reader to draw conclusions on how they ended up at this point in time, technology, politics etc.

There are a lot of names to get used to, people, star systems, regions and spaceship names. I could do with a list (I bet there'll be one at the end).

ch 1 (view spoiler)

ch 2 (view spoiler)

ch3 (view spoiler)

Kazen I'm so in. :) I'll probably be starting soon - I'm over halfway through the loan period for it, eep!

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Glad you will be joining us Kazen.

Casceil | 2641 comments I've read the first three chapters now. I am posting a link to a review I found extremely helpful. I don't regard it as having spoilers, but it does explain the set-up and background in a way I think I would have had trouble figuring out myself. I was glad I had read this review, since I think I would have found it frustrating not knowing the set-up going in. Those who like to discover everything for themselves may not want to read the review, however.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments I have it on hold at the library and should have it by the end of the week. It has to be sent from another library. Hopefully, I will start it next week.

message 11: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4443 comments I just started, but i like the tone... I will comment when i have one chapter read.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I read a bit more last night but have got a bit lost now. I have some free time now so I'm off to read more now.

Casceil | 2641 comments I've read five or six chapters now, and I sometimes feel a little lost two. The alternate chapters that describe events nineteen years ago have so many characters, and I find it hard to keep straight who all of them are, and what the relationships are between the various groups. I'm reading on a Kindle, and I sometimes wish I had a paper copy so that that I could flip back and forth more easily to sort out references.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Ch 5 feeling clearer now.(view spoiler)

Ch6 (view spoiler)

AJust read that review Casceil and it does clarify things. No spoilers there as I've uncovered everything she mentioned now I've reached chapter 7.

Casceil | 2641 comments The effect of Breq using female pronouns for everyone is pretty pervasive. Once I know a character is male, I start trying to think of them that way, but it takes a conscious effort when Breq keeps calling them "she."

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Same here Casceil. Takes conscious effort to keep it in mind. I got confused the first time as I'd lost sight of who Breq was talking about.

message 17: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4443 comments Chapter one done.

I like to tone do far. From the little I read so fsar, I think I am stepping into a strange and complex universe. It bodes well...
adding/responding to to Sarah spoiler (view spoiler)

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend's family, Esther.

Interesting that the Miss form has been dropped where you live. Did that come about gradually or was their some kind of consensus?

Casceil | 2641 comments I've reached the beginning of Chapter 13. I seem to be getting more and more confused. There are so many names, and I have trouble keeping track of who is who. Also, every time I start to feel like I have some idea what is going on, the chapter ends, and we jump back to the other story line, and I have to start sorting things out all over again. I think that part of the problem is that I took a couple of days off from this book to read something else. How are the rest of you doing? Is anyone else confused, or is it just me?

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I'm midway through chapter 15. I feel like I'm settling in to it more now and able to grasp what's going on. Yes the switch between the two timeframes is a little disorientating. At the beginning I preferred the present timeline but now I'm enjoying the past one as it's starting to clarify things for me. Sorry I've not been commenting as I go. I find this one quite difficult to discuss due to the lack of clarity on what's going on. while I don't always know what is going on, I'm still enjoying it and my enjoyment of it has definitely increased as I've progressed through the book. I hope things start to fall in to place for you soon.

Kazen I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and I'm so glad to hear that there are only two (main) timelines. I was starting to worry it would explode out to half a dozen or so!

Like Casceil I've been reading in spurts... I think I'll sit down to a dedicated reading session next time to help concrete everything in my head.

Casceil | 2641 comments I read another three chapters after my last post, and I am starting to feel like I have a little more of a handle on what is going on. I think I have hit a point where the storyline has quit being split because the older, background section concluded. I'm still a little puzzled about the chief villain. I have trouble remembering the names in this, because they seem to be mostly vowels, and I don't have a paper copy, so looking up the spelling is not convenient, but the name is something like Ananda Menaie. I gather she is or was originally human, but now has multiple representations of herself who all communicate somehow, like the ancillaries of a ship. But I wish I had a better understanding of the nature of this character.

Casceil | 2641 comments I decided to look at the SciFi and Fantasy Group's discussion of this book. It turns out they have a separate thread discussing what Anaander Mianaai is. It seems many people have difficulty understanding this, so I am not alone. The discussion contains spoilers, so I don't recommend reading until you have finished the book, but here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
One comment quoted from the book itself, early on, so am I copying that here.
On loc 1212 of the Kindle version, "She resided in each of the thirteen provincial palaces, and was present at every annexation. She was able to do this because she possessed thousands of bodies, all of them genetically identical, all of them linked to each other."

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I figured she had multiple bodies like the ship's ancillaries which all communicated with each other just seems to have the ability to have many more of them, all of which are identical. I'm not sure whether (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I've left the split timeframe behind now - it's all focused on the present which makes it a little easier. I'm not sure where abouts I am at the moment - I'm around the 300 page stage (not sure what chapter that is). Things are getting interesting now (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2641 comments I finished the book yesterday. I liked the way everything came together in the end. I finally started feeling like I understood what was going on. About the last part (view spoiler)
This is clearly going to be a trilogy. The second book, Ancillary Sword is out now, but I am not sure when the third one will be out.

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments I finally started this today. I am about 2 chapters into the book so far. I see what everyone means about the gender thing. I have never read a true scifi novel so this is a big change for me. It is interesting how you are immediately drawn into the story.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I have 40 pages left so I hope to finish it tomorrow. It's all heating up and makes much more sense now with things coming together. wondering how it will end. I think the third book is due out end of the year Casceil.

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I've finished it. Will comment later when I get home from work. Really liked it though. Just bought the next in the series. Crazy how once everything falls into place, I forget the confusion I had. I think the confusion made it more worthwhile some how.

message 30: by Teanka (last edited May 12, 2015 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teanka Sarah wrote: "Crazy how once everything falls into place, I forget the confusion I had...."
Exactly, now that I read your comments I have a hard time remembering how it felt when I was reading. I only remember that I liked the book so much I proceeded immediately to the second volume. I liked especially how Breq is an ancillary and how hard it was to figure it out, the confused genders and thinking about the mystery of what exactly Anander Mianaai is (well, it's not truly solved, but it's fascinating). My problem is that I don't remember what happened in which volume because I read them one after the other.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes that's happened to me before when I've read series back to back. it makes it difficult to comment without giving things away. I have to be careful discussing A Sing of Ice and Fire series as they've all blurred in to one. I'm glad you enjoyed the book enough to continue on. I'm guessing book two will be easier as we know what's going on more.

Casceil | 2641 comments One interesting side effect of the confusion and how the end played out: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I'm finding this one difficult to rate. Torn between 4 and 5 stars - it had some interesting plot devices but i guess the early confusion needs to be taken in to account however much it was planned for the reader. Did you have the author q and a at thr back of your copy?

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments I am really starting to get into this book now. I have read the other posts and am looking forward to see how everything ties together. I just finished Chapter 8 and the shocking temple scene. I am definitely not liking Minaii.

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Glad you are enjoying it Amanda especially as it's your first real go at sci-fi.

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments It has been a new experience. I read Ender's Game a couple years ago so I guess this is not my first sci-fi experience. However, that book was still very different than this one. I am usually more drawn to the fantasy genre, but may have to explore more of these types of books.

message 37: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4443 comments Sarah wrote: "Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend's family, Esther.

Interesting that the Miss form has been dropped where you live. Did that come about gradually or was their some kind of consensus?"

It was gradual.... There was a big "women lib" movement here in the late 60s early 70s. My guess is that it comes from there. Personally I will not accept Mademoiselle until they start using Mondamoiseau again. And that is so not going to happen. In a society where about a third of the couples living together are not married (stats of 2006), the Miss does not much make sense really.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I've not read Ender's yet. I own it though. I have seen the film though and yes it's pretty different to this one. This book is cleverly written. I can see why it won so many awards.

That's interesting Esther. You're right - society has changed and there are moany unmarried long term couples now. I say do away with the Miss here too.

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments The movie for Ender's Game was pretty good, but as always the book is better. I liked it because it really gets into the psychological toll that everything took on him. I only read the one book and enjoyed, but didn't really feel the need to continue with the other books.

I have had to work the past few days so am behind on reading. I hoping to get in some good time tonight.

Amanda (Mandy) | 647 comments I finally finished this book. I kept having life get in the way of my reading :(. I did enjoy this book, but must confess that I am still confused on some things. It does bring most everything together at the end. The unanswered questions make me want to continue the series. (view spoiler). This book was definitely out of the realm of my normal reads, but it was a good change.

message 41: by Kazen (last edited May 19, 2015 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kazen I finally finished, yea! I got over the mental hump/block/wall by going to a cafe and powering through chapters 12-17 in one go. As time went on the confusion lifted and I fell more in love with the characters... I can't wait to pick up the next book in the series.

At the end there (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2641 comments Kazen, that is a fascinating question in your spoiler. (view spoiler)

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ender's Game (other topics)
Ancillary Justice (other topics)
Ancillary Sword (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Leckie (other topics)