NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

NetGalley Tips > NetGalley Top Reviewer status

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments What is the criteria to gain the accolade of Top NetGalley Reviewer?
Is it amount of reviews?
Amount of auto-approval publishers?
Turn-around time?
I welcome any advice you can share.

message 2: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 70 comments I didn't know there was such a thing. I have the 80% badge. That's based on the percentage of feedback I give.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) It's based on how many times publishers have featured your review on netgalley. some of the books on there if you scroll down, have reviews posted which have been submitted by netgalley users. I think you have to have had your review featured more than 3 times? something like that anyway ☺

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments Guess I'll never be considered a top reviewer.
I have the 80% badge, but after just checking, many of the titles I've reviewed are no longer on NetGalley... :-(

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) I don't think I've ever had one featured either. I wouldn't worry about it ☺ I think a lot of the time it depends on which books you are reading, I think some publishers do it, and other don't.

message 6: by CL (last edited May 20, 2015 12:28PM) (new)

CL (cljones) | 20 comments The only badge I have received is "Professional Reader" but I have only recently joined a couple of weeks ago and have only reviewed 2 books and am working on reading 2 more books. I have been refused more titles than I have been approved for but I keep trying. ; )

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 50 comments I am still fairly new on Net Galley so I don't have publishers that auto approve me and I'm finding it hard to get approved for the books I really want to review. I did get the Top Reviewer badge by just meeting the minimum.

message 8: by CL (new)

CL (cljones) | 20 comments CD {Boulder Blvd} wrote: "I am still fairly new on Net Galley so I don't have publishers that auto approve me and I'm finding it hard to get approved for the books I really want to review. I did get the Top Reviewer badge b..."

CD I am relatively new to Net Galley too but I took off running with scissors and requested requested requested until I now have more than enough books to keep me happily reading for some time. I probably have been refused more times than approved but I just kept requesting. Still trying to get past the 50% mark but I'm getting there. Happy Reading!!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 440 comments Hi, I joined in January and it took a few months before the publishers got to know me. I made sure that I read and reviewed the books that I got promptly and sent in the reviews immediately to NetGalley and to Goodreads closer to the pub date, amazon when it's published. For those of you that are new, you can click on the individual publishers and check out what they are looking for in a reviewer. Hope that helps.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane (ladieswholunchreviews) | 8 comments Thanks, Dorie, for your input!

message 11: by Penmouse (new)

Penmouse | 32 comments I try to read books quickly, write and post reviews, and keep my percentage at 80% or above.

I also try to offer specific details for each book I read. I do review a lot of cookbooks and I try to include a small selection of recipes you'll find in the cookbook.

Hope this helps,

MA

message 12: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments I have now attained "Top Reviewer" status! Thanks for all of your great comments.

message 13: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 70 comments CD {Boulder Blvd} wrote: "I did get the Top Reviewer badge by just meeting the minimum. "

I wish that was enough to get the Top Reviewer badge, but I don't think it is.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane (ladieswholunchreviews) | 8 comments I don't know exactly how it works, I thought it said 3 reviews that were published on NetGalley, but I didn't get a top reviewer badge until I had about 9 published.

message 15: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 70 comments How do you know if your reviews have been published on NetGalley? I've submitted 55 reviews to the site, and don't know if any of them were published there.

message 16: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments Davida,
Go to your shelf. Sort by 'feedback sent'. You will see the little Reviewer icon next to the titles published.

message 17: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 70 comments Lynne wrote: "Davida,
Go to your shelf. Sort by 'feedback sent'. You will see the little Reviewer icon next to the titles published."

Thanks. I see that none of mine have been published. Oh well...

message 18: by circumspect4 (new)

circumspect4 | 2 comments 3. Reviews Published - Members will receive this badge when 3 or more of their reviews have been added to any NetGalley title details page by a publisher. (To see which reviews have been added just go to your Shelf, then under Feedback Sent you will see a little icon next to the titles where your review now appears on its Title Details page.)

message 19: by Barbee (new)

Barbee | 28 comments Hi I started joined NetGalley in December in the beginning I got a couple rejections from Sourcebook publishers funny the authors they rejected me for they now accept me for. I think once they see your a serious reviewers and blogger they won't reject as I can't even remember the last time I was rejected for a book. I have been also told it you asking for a ridiculous amount of books or switch genres a lot this also raises a red flags for publishers. I stick to the same genre more or less and don't request more then seven books a month. I also make sure I have read reviewed and blogged before the book's release date. Hope this helps.

My last read was wonderful a paranormal fantasy romance called Blazing Earth by Terri Brisbin which will be released on April 5th fabulous book!.

message 20: by Zippergirl (last edited Mar 24, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Zippergirl | 70 comments I got my top reviewer fairly fast, but I also read and reviewed something a little outside the most popular requests, like a history book about a turn of the century healer in the American southwest, The Vanishing Messiah: The Life and Resurrections of Francis Schlatter and a fabulous kid's book/graphic novel Max & Charlie.

I'm guessing that these book get fewer requests/reviews than romance/fiction.

message 21: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Hanson (thebibliophilegirluk) Hi,
Just read all of the comments in this thread and noticed you talking about the reviewer icon that shows next to the review that have been published on the books page... is this icon the pencil icon?

Thanks

message 22: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 405 comments Kirsty wrote: "Hi,
Just read all of the comments in this thread and noticed you talking about the reviewer icon that shows next to the review that have been published on the books page... is this icon the pencil ..."

It's whatever that little orange thing is meant to be. I thought it was a paperclip, but now I agree that it might be a pencil. It's on the left side of a cover on your Feedback shelf.

They do warn you that if you try to edit your Feedback, you may lose your place as a featured review. I figure if they don't want to know if I posted a review on Amazon or tweeted (after publication), I guess that's their choice!

message 23: by Barbee (new)

Barbee | 28 comments I have 80% badge and 83 % feedback plus I am a book promoter for historical romance mostly Scottish historicals. I attend author events like BEA and RWA and have had several books dedicated to me by my author friends. I try not to have more than a dozen books as I get sent books not on netgalley too. I actually have all the badges from NetGalley which is awesome!

message 24: by SAI (new)

SAI (-sai-) | 6 comments I just became a top reviewer.
I guess, it is because I reviewed books for new authors.

message 25: by Penmouse (new)

Penmouse | 32 comments Diane wrote: "I don't know exactly how it works, I thought it said 3 reviews that were published on NetGalley, but I didn't get a top reviewer badge until I had about 9 published."

Here is what NetGalley says about how to attain Top Reviewer status. There is nothing magical about it.

"Members receive this badge when 3 or more of their reviews have been added to any NetGalley title details page by a publisher."

Hope that clarifies the issue.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue (readalongwithsue) | 17 comments I've got badges, but then, I've been reviewing a long time. It does come as you become more and more trustworthy for feedback.

If you read a book very early and give them feedback via NG they like this as they can ratio the book reviews. Then when the books published I go back and edit my NG feedback linking my review that I've spread around cyber space lol

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthasreviewer) | 2 comments I've just seen this thread and didn't know there was such a thing. Nor how it worked.

I've checked my badges on netgalley before and listed them as images on here. Today when I have checked I have a top reviewer one now-super pleased!

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 32 comments Samantha wrote: "I've just seen this thread and didn't know there was such a thing. Nor how it worked.

I've checked my badges on netgalley before and listed them as images on here. Today when I have checked I hav..."

Congrats! =)

message 29: by Boz (new)

Boz (bozreads) | 2 comments It helps to review books from smaller, independent publishers. Make sure it's well written

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments My Top Reviewer badge says:

"Members receive this badge when 3 or more of their reviews have been added to any NetGalley title details page by a publisher."

Like Boz says, reviewing indie books will get you this badge much faster than the big books.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna Davis (seattlebookmama) | 67 comments Boz wrote: "It helps to review books from smaller, independent publishers. Make sure it's well written"

This is the truth. Publicists notice well written reviews. If all a person says is, "Great book," or "It didn't interest me so I didn't finish it," the numbers will still climb on your percentage, but a well written review with specific references that (among other things) demonstrate that you read the whole thing and have considered its strengths and weaknesses, a review written in paragraphs, is the best way to draw positive attention.

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments Donna wrote: "Boz wrote: "It helps to review books from smaller, independent publishers. Make sure it's well written"

This is the truth. Publicists notice well written reviews. If all a person says is, "Great b..."

Agreed, Donna. It must rather be comprehensive,

message 33: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 11 comments I have recently received my Top Reviewer badge after just 12-13 reviews. It was a pleasant surprise ☺️.

message 34: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Congrats Tahera!

message 35: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments I got my top reviewer badge quickly but I think I was just lucky to have reviewed books where the publisher noticed and liked my review. I agree it's probably easier to get noticed by a small publisher or on books where there aren't a lot of reviews. Also, some publishers don't seem to put anyone as featured reviews.

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 9 comments I just got my top reviewer badge, but I can't display it in my profile at the moment since Goodreads has disabled the url feature.

message 37: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Way to go Amanda!

message 38: by Ankit (new)

Garg Ankit (graciousgarg) Amanda wrote: "I just got my top reviewer badge, but I can't display it in my profile at the moment since Goodreads has disabled the url feature."

Same here Amanda. Congrats anyway :)

message 39: by Yogaa (last edited Apr 10, 2020 12:17AM) (new)

Yogaa Lakshmi | 15 comments I got the Top Reviewer badge even before I got the 10 reviews badge (I got it after I wrote my 7th review). I am so grateful for those publishers. Try reviewing for small publishers if you don't have that badge. They recognize the value of your review better. Once, the author himself thanked me personally through my email address. 6 out of 22 of my reviews have been featured so far.

message 40: by Jonna Feliz (new)

Jonna Feliz (jonnaandherwails) | 1 comments Yogaa wrote: "I got the Top Reviewer badge even before I got the 10 reviews badge (I got it after I wrote my 7th review). I am so grateful for those publishers. Try reviewing for small publishers if you don't ha..."

Hi, how are you able to identify which of your feedbacks were published? I received the badge, but I can't figure our which of my feedbacks were chosen to be published.

message 41: by Yogaa (new)

Yogaa Lakshmi | 15 comments Jonna wrote: "Yogaa wrote: "I got the Top Reviewer badge even before I got the 10 reviews badge (I got it after I wrote my 7th review). I am so grateful for those publishers. Try reviewing for small publishers i..."

Well, just go to the feedback sent section. You would be able to find a tiny orange pencil sign on top-left corner of the book cover(s). That would mean that your review of that particular book has been featured.