Here Is Our Education discussion

General > Disturbing Article

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 76 comments Mod
Here's a pretty disturbing article. I can't really agree, of course. Somehow or other, the Modern Orthodox have managed to allow secular knowledge into their lives while remaining frum.

http://forward.com/culture/306399/uns...

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka | 17 comments Kressel, like you, I disagree with the article. And I find this claim upsetting -- and to the degree that it is true, horrifying:
Most Hasidic or Orthodox people who were confronted with questions would have run from them, or at least asked their rabbi, accept what they were told, and moved on.
Jews are SUPPOSED to ask questions! And there are plenty of chassidish stories about rebbes and others who argued with Hashem, or questioned Him often.

How sad that this gentleman got such a warped view of what Yiddishkeit is and what it should be. But I'm pretty sure it's not because his parents took him to history museums or listened to Danny Kaye. Mine did both of those, and look at me!

Ok, bad example. ;)

message 3: by Kressel (new)

His parents sound a lot like me. I think I even know his mother and younger brothers. And the last thing I need is more guilt for driving my son off the derech. I thought the exposure I gave him was one of the few things I've done *right.*

message 4: by rivka (new)

rivka | 17 comments From where I sit, insulating kids completely from the outside world is something like to drive kids OTD, not keep them on it. Not long-term.

Chochmah ba'goyim ta'amin!

message 5: by Raphael (new)

Raphael Sender | 31 comments Modern Orthodoxy is still in its infancy to really make a judgement about their future. In my opinion the modern orthodox are simply the revival of conservative Judaism. Conservative Judaism Part 2!

I agree with Rivka that Jews are supposed to ask questions.
However I think it is a careful balance of what to expose and when. Of course one needs a good teacher with much wisdom to really explain the entire truth to the children when they come with their questions.
Not everybody has access to these teachers and if these questions go unanswered or ignored that can be the end for that potential soul Chas Vshalom.
I have always believed that there is no one movement within Judaism that has gotten it right. There are elements we can learn from all.
I am increasingly becoming more inclined towards the Haredi mindset. There are things out there, that if one is exposed to them, really is very addicting. some things are more dangerous than others. I have had experience with some of these forces personally. I also see the other people around me. Without going into details I went into a deep depression in no small part due to these addictions. Many others are literally hanging on the balance between healthy life and full depression.
Another point if I may. our minds are very weak today. The level of this generation is much lower than my parents generation. I see it in the book we read. I see it in the things I learn in high school/college compared to my parents. Why is this? materialism. quite simply. i find practically no one that knows how to read a map! they ask their phones for the answer. no one knows how to do simple math because everyone uses calculators that do things now that I would have thought impossible when i was in high school. The deterioration of understanding across so many disciplines including our traditions is staggering.

message 6: by Kressel (new)

Raphael wrote: "i find practically no one that knows how to read a map! they ask their phones for the answer. no one knows how to do simple math because everyone uses calculators that do things now that I would have thought impossible when i was in high school. The deterioration of understanding across so many disciplines including our traditions is staggering."

There's no denying your final point, but Modern Orthodoxy is older than Conservative Judaism. You can date it back to Rav Hirsch and/or Rabbi Reines, at least ideologically, if not in name.

message 7: by Raphael (last edited Apr 28, 2015 04:22PM) (new)

Raphael Sender | 31 comments thats true i stand corrected. you are absolutely right. perhaps i misspoke because the movement is growing more today. also i know many conservative Jews that flocked to modern orthodoxy in the past decade or so due to conservative Judaisms deterioration.
also it seems like modern orthodoxy has broadened its definitions quite a bit since Rav Hirsch. (for one the formation of Yeshivat Chovevei Torah)

message 8: by rivka (new)

rivka | 17 comments "Modern Orthodox" is a really, really broad umbrella.

message 9: by Raphael (new)

Raphael Sender | 31 comments right. it wasnt always this way which is why i said what i did previously.