Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > Detectives & Mysteries on the Radio! (Sorry, not Film or TV)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments BBC Radio 4 Extra started a new Dixon of Dock Green series this week: "Little Boy Blue".

Description: Dixon and Crawford investigate a break-in at the local pin-ball palace. Is one-time bad boy Geoff back to his old ways?

Radio revival of TV's famous copper starring David Calder as PC George Dixon, Hamish Clark as Andy Crawford and Tom Lawrence as Geoff.

Written by Ted Willis. Dramatised for radio by Sue Rodwell

Producer/Director: Viv Beeby.

Available for streaming here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0169l6n

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Apr 28, 2015 09:02AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I'm a fan. I listen to a lot of radio as I've long ago ceased watching any kind of television (I despise television with a passion). But radio lets me multi-task and the narrative structure is great for creativity. Plus: no commercial breaks.

Besides, when one explores this medium, one finds (as usual) that there's nothing new under the sun. Detective stories rely on the same 'set traditions' and long-established tropes, whether audio or visual.

p.s. But I love not knowing who 'Dixon' and 'Crawford' are. They're not famous to me, thank heavens. After a while, one simply gets tired of constant introductions to people & characters who don't matter to your actual life. That's all

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I love BBC Radio because they do books, dramas, comedies, documentaries, things that are rare on US radio (even NPR!)

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Apr 28, 2015 09:04AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Bravo! Comedy, drama, documentary..aye

Meanwhile, here in the USA, we have the totally childish and silly 'superhero' mania. Its embarrassing!

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 12, 2015 04:12AM) (new)

Elizabeth Even though I'm only 37 years old I love to go to The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio ,the website is http://www.greatdetectives.net/detect... and listen to the Sherlock Holmes they have

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Jun 04, 2015 06:18PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Nothing to be embarrassed about. They were America's nightly entertainment for fifty years. One of the highest standards of quality--maintained consistently for the longest stretch of time--ever, in terms of scripts, production, and performers. A rewarding alternative to television, any day. 'Taking a shine' to these programs shows excellent taste on your part.

For example, I don't give a damn how many people like 'Breaking Bad' or 'Boardwalk Empire'. I don't trust their judgment. Me, I'm tired of shows about drugs and slaughter. Tired of Calvin Klein jeans models posing as actors. Tired of commercials and tie-ins. Give me Sir Arthur Conan Doyle over that tripe.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Feliks wrote: "Nothing to be embarrassed about. They were America's nightly entertainment for fifty years. One of the highest standards of quality--maintained consistently for the longest stretch of time--ever, i..."

I know but some people that I know think I'm crazy for love those types of shows that are grandparents and parents grow up listening to as well as watch, since I also love watch the really old black and white classical syfi movies from the 20s,30s, 40s,50s and 60s ,some of are even early than that. they just can't understand that there's some thing about there's movies or old radio shows that are so much different then what we have to day. the same with the books that I read, I love finding new authors, and reading my all time favorites authors James Rollins and Clive Cussler, but I love on the raining and storming days to read classics like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, like just the other day I download the app that lets you read books from Bookshout , on that app I got a lest 50 books three are authors that are Kurt Vonnegut,Orson Scott Card,J.A. Jance that write novies now days but the rest are 100 % classics which means I either rereads and I've seen the movies and loved them or that I haven't read the books but seen the movies and I heated them so I'm giving the books ago.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I love Clive Cussler, Elizabeth!

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Never worry about the opinions of imbeciles. Not a bad motto.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I never do. For the longest time, my tastes have run counter to the crowd. (After all, look at all the people that liked Gone Girl. Ugh!)

I used to go to a book club and, if I loved the book, the rest of them hated it and vice versa.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I love Clive Cussler, Elizabeth!"

what's your favorite,i would say that my all time favorite is isaac bell by clive cussler

message 12: by Glen (new)

Glen Donaldson (gdona29) | 2 comments Second everything you said brother!

message 13: by Feliks (last edited Jun 11, 2015 08:18PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Seriously. I am beyond over being tired of boors with colossal bad taste all shaking-their-heads-at-me for not keeping in step with them when they purchase their neon day-glo sneakers and their glowing skateboards and their 'Keep Calm' t-shirts and their Marvel comic book movies.

It doesn't matter what the date on the calendar is. Bad taste products scream to be avoided, to those who can hear. Trashiness is always ready to claim another victim. Don't try to enlist me in the ranks of the undead.

message 14: by Glen (new)

Glen Donaldson (gdona29) | 2 comments Spoken like a true sage! Spewed forth like a fire hose! Played like a mahogony cello! To hell with the Angelina's of this world! Amirite?