What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Old School Romantic Suspense. Heroine has prosthetic foot. Hero is sculptor.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Crawford (nickic23) | 17 comments I've also posted this here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I read this book 1980-82 and it was fairly new paperback at the time. Might be classed more as gothic or old school romantic suspense ( think Mary Stewart ish) No explicit sex. Heroine lost part of her foot in car wreck that killed the rest of her family. I believe she was most of the way thru college studying art or art history at the time of the wreck and hasn't been back to school. Seems like an art professor helps her get a job as a nanny/tutor to the young son (8-10ish) of a rich, reclusive artist (Jonathon?). The boy Reminds her of her dead younger brother and he is behind in school due to sickness (appendicitis or mono) Job is on a remote estate of course. The boy's mother is the artist's younger second (or third?) wife. The mother is murdered and the artist father disappears. Mother was very much a trophy wife who didn't have time for her son. She was cheating on the artist with an assistant (Eric?) either hers or the artists. Everyone thinks the artist killed the mom but the heroine doesn't. Hero is the oldest son of the artist by his first wife. He is a sculptor that lives on the estate part of the time in a lake cabin. He doesn't come in until after the murder and they try to clear the artist. I think? The assistant did it or he ended up dead after they thought he did.
One other point I remember is the hero exams her prosthetic foot and tells her he can design one better than the one she has.
Thanks for the help. I haven't been on goodreads in years but ran across this group on Amazon and thought you might be able to help. The book was loaned to me by my college roomate's mom along with Paula Gosling's "Solo Blues" after a discussion of Mary Stewart's books. Mrs. Becker was killed in a plane wreck in early 1983. It took me years but I tracked down Solo Blues but have had no luck with this one.

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Crawford (nickic23) | 17 comments Bump

message 3: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Could it be a book, possibly a re-release, by Laura Kinsale? She has some books that sound along these lines.

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Crawford (nickic23) | 17 comments Thanks but none of hers are early enough. It would have to be written before 1983.

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Crawford (nickic23) | 17 comments Bump

message 6: by Ayshe (last edited Feb 21, 2017 05:51AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4230 comments Lucky to Be Alive by Alice Cromie? Here's the Kirkus review (for plot details, no one has reviewed here on GR): https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39360 comments Mod
Nicki, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lucky to Be Alive (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Kinsale (other topics)
Alice Cromie (other topics)