The Not a Book Club Club discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
Malazan > HoC: Book Three - Something Breathes

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Fid... I mean Strings is definitely up there in top 5 characters for me. Love his consistency. Shook me up, the scene when he finds out about Whiskeyjack

Peter | 153 comments Reliving the death of Whiskeyjack through Fiddler was almost as bad as reading it in MoI for me. ):

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Peter wrote: "Reliving the death of Whiskeyjack through Fiddler was almost as bad as reading it in MoI for me. ):"

God I thought you were smiling at first..damn you backwards emoticons!

I was about to decry you as a monster with no heart!

Yeah, that part was pretty terrible. Poor Fiddler.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Holy shit! Karsa Orlong is one BAMF! Told those T'lan Imass to shove it where the sun don't shine. Maybe the best scene of the book so far

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Remember what an asshole he used to be? Well I guess he's still an asshole. Just a lot more likeable now.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Haha, totally. I really didn't think I would grow to like him but I definitely have. Almost seems like he will become a wild card in this rebellion. Could totally see him either abandoning Sha'ik or flipping sides

message 7: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 72 comments I am very ambivalent about Karsa. He is badass alright but something hasn't clicked yet..

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments It took a bit but it's definitely clicked for me. I now anticipate his POVs almost as much as anyone in the series. This journey he's on is excellent

That first part was just so damn cool. And I never once realized he was a character we already met. Just more proof, to me, of Erikson's brilliance

message 9: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 72 comments The one BAMF character that really grew on me by the end of this book was Cotillion.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I've loved his scenes so far, very intriguing.

Peter | 153 comments I agree with TS, Cotillion becomes a lot more likable in this book.

Geoff (geoffgreer) Cotillion is pretty awesome.

Also, even if you think Karsa is still an asshole. At least, so far, he seems to be directing his anger in a fun and exciting manner.

Geoff (geoffgreer) Alex wrote: "Not gonna lie, all the stuff with Trull Sengar and Onrack in this section confused me. I think we get into it later, but the war/history with the warrens of Light, Dark, Shadow and the poisoning an..."

Agreed. My main problem is that I think this is a poor intro to the Tiste liosans. They just show up. As they represent light in this threesome. Im sure theres more to come from them

message 14: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Done with this section - did most of it in audio so no notes :|

I liked Kasra from the start, but more so now that he is an intelligent/wise asshole than a clueless asshole :)

It was cool to see Lostara and Pearl come across Kulp and Baudin (poor Kulp!). Wonder if we will see any of Baudin in this book in his new role as Hood's knight?

Wow - Heboric is now the destriant of Treach. Hope he can start kicking some ass now that he is cured of his blindness and rheumatoid arthritis. His henbane trip was pretty far-out, man. With the giant jade statues filled with screaming souls going into the huge world swallowing gash. Almost gave me flashbacks :P I wonder what that gash is? I had suspected that the statues came from the same place as the CG - but seems more evidence of it now.

We finally learn who the Teblor gods are - not gods afterall, T'lan Imass - in service to the CG.

Can't wait to see Kasra use that badass new sword.

What's up with the dead Azath House?

Looks like everyone is converging on the whirlwind now...Ready for a kickass finish!

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Erikson's writing in that trip scene really shone. I really did get that feeling of being spaced out, like watching a good representation of a trip on film

Seems he's setting up those statues to play a big role in volumes to come.