A Good Thriller discussion

Book Pals - Archive > May Book Pals ~ Post Your Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Autumn (last edited Apr 28, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Once you and your Book Pal have selected and read your book, post what you thought of the book on this thread. Partners are listed in this thread below. Can't wait to hear about your book choices!

You can go to the original thread Book Pals and click on your partner to see their books and friend them.

** Just a Tip - I like to give my partner at least three books to choose from with one being my top choice. That way they have some freedom as well.

★ ★ IF you have made an attempt to contact your partner with no response, please private message me letting me know so I can work on getting you a new partner for the month. Please give it at least 7 days before posting a comment as not all of our members log in every day. THANK YOU!

So happy to see so many new faces this go round!

Message 25 - Kelly & Message 3 - Mallory Heart
Message 39 - Denise & Message 24 - Sonya
Message 30 - Allison & Message 20 - Daisy
Message 40 - Patricia & Message 18 - Kristen
Message 13 - Faouzia & Message 43 - Lisa
Message 4 - Lisa & Message 37 - Olivia
Message 5 - Anne Booklady & Message 21 - Susan
Message 16 - Cameron & Message 36 - Gerard
Message 35 - Maryann & Message 32 - Shruthi
Message 18 - Autumn 51 & Message 48 - Marty
Message 44 - Vasudha & Message 29 - Luffy
Message 28 - Tracy & Message 49 - Pankaj
Message 17 - Juliana & Message - Jill
Message 7 - Freda & Message 42 - Claire
Message 22 - Danielle & Message 14 - Brenda
Message 27 - Brianna & Message 10 - Laura
Message 41 - Tim & Message 23 - Devi
Message 15 - Hannah & Message 2 - Ray
Message 9 - E. & Message 12 - Bill
Message 11 - Sean & Message 47 - Holly
Message 8 - Sophie & Message 26 - Patricia
Message 6 - Gopal & Message 19 - Perri

message 2: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Marty, the bloke, will be reading The Husband's Secret, and I will be reading the great classic And Then There Were None!

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments E. & i shall read The Nearest Thing to Crazy, by Elizabeth Forbes.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments I am waiting to hear from Olivia. Her profile is set to private so I sent her a small note and a friend request.

message 5: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I've sent a friend invite to Vasudha.

message 6: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9510 comments Mod
Yes Iam the same waiting to here from Holly.

Sent a friend request and message.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) I have sent a message to Pankaj.

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Danielle and I will be reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.

message 9: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Brenda wrote: "Danielle and I will be reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty."

That is in my audible list, and I cannot wait to read it! Let us know if it is great!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments Faouzia will be reading The Surgeon and I will be reading The Bone Collector.

message 11: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 421 comments Claire and I are going to read Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. Yippie!! I've read all the Will Trent Series and starting the Grant County Series. So excited!

message 12: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Myself and Holly will be reading

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

message 13: by Patricia (last edited May 02, 2015 08:55AM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments My pal is Sophie who recommended The Chronicles of Narnia. I am so pleased that she suggested this series since I haven't read it. I remember a statement, that I will paraphrase, by Shel Silverstein, "one should read a good children's book once as a child and once more as an adult." I am sure children's literature takes on a whole new meaning when one is an adult.

message 14: by O (new)

O (asphaltmonkey) Lisa and I will be reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Quite excited to finally get to this one!

message 15: by Gopal (new)

Gopal (gopaliyer) | 521 comments Perri and I are reading The Girl on the Train.

Some great reads courtesy book pals...

message 16: by E. (new)

E. | 693 comments Autumn you're going to love Big Little Lies as audiobook. The narrator is Australian and she totally puts you there.
Everyone is reading such good books.
Bill and I will read either Nearest Thing To Crazy or The Stranger You Seek, or both!

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Since Sophie has read Narnia, I am reading it for our discussion, and we both will be reading "All The Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Epperson | 10 comments Message 17 - Juliana & Message - Jill

Juliana will be reading Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey and I will be reading The Stranger by Harlan Coben

message 19: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Lisa wrote: "Faouzia will be reading The Surgeon and I will be reading The Bone Collector."

Both wonderful choices! I especially love The Surgeon!

message 20: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Freda wrote: "Claire and I are going to read Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. Yippie!! I've read all the Will Trent Series and starting the Grant County Series. So excited!"

I am so jealous you are getting to read Blindsighted for the first time!

message 21: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Thanks to Marty I am reading, And Then There Were None and I just cannot put it down! I have my suspicions, and I told my sister. She said, interesting choices... It is just so good! I cannot believe I waited so long to read this book!

message 22: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Autumn wrote: "Thanks to Marty I am reading, And Then There Were None and I just cannot put it down! I have my suspicions, and I told my sister. She said, interesting choices... It is just so good! I..."

It is a great book!

message 23: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 288 comments Autumn wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Faouzia will be reading The Surgeon and I will be reading The Bone Collector."

Both wonderful choices! I especially love The Surgeon!"

Yes Autumn; i read a lot of good reviews about it and the story seems intriguing!! I think i'll enjoy it :)

message 24: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 288 comments Autumn wrote: "Thanks to Marty I am reading, And Then There Were None and I just cannot put it down! I have my suspicions, and I told my sister. She said, interesting choices... It is just so good! I..."

I read it a couple of months before, and it's the best Agatha Christie!! And it keeps getting better Autumn ;)

message 25: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) My Book Pal, Vasudha, has accepted my friend request and it'll take a couple more days to sort out what book to read. If she tarries a bit, I'll probably pick a thin book for her to read easily.

message 26: by Vasudha (new)

Vasudha (vasudhaka) Autumn wrote: "Thanks to Marty I am reading, And Then There Were None and I just cannot put it down! I have my suspicions, and I told my sister. She said, interesting choices... It is just so good! I..."

Loved And Then There Were None! Read it last month and finished it in 2 days!

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8103 comments Vasudha wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Thanks to Marty I am reading, And Then There Were None and I just cannot put it down! I have my suspicions, and I told my sister. She said, interesting choices... It is ..."

One of Agatha's best, IMHO!

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 41 comments I read mine Nay 1-2: quite good, and I definitely will be continuing the series.
Under a Silent Moon

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Vasudha's choice is to read Little Women and mine, Divergent.

message 30: by Autumn (last edited May 05, 2015 06:00AM) (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Oh, my. Goodness, guys! And Then There Were None! Amazing! I cannot say enough great things about it! You all know because apparently I was the last to read it! It was a nail-biter, without the usual blood, guts and gore. There were a couple of scenes, but they were not graphic. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I am so excited I can hardly type this right now! I recommend this to everyone! I may have found a new favorite author! Thank you, Marty, for the excellent pick!!! Now I will move on to his second choice for me, The Silkworm.

message 31: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Kirsten wrote: "One of Agatha's best, IMHO!"

It will not be my last, I will tell you that!

message 32: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Pankaj and I will be reading Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride.

Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1) by Stuart MacBride

message 33: by Vasudha (new)

Vasudha (vasudhaka) Just started Little Women

message 34: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm going to begin reading Divergent tomorrow. I'm going in with expectations so low that I expect to come across James Cameron any time now.

Question - What's the link between books and Cameron?

(view spoiler)

Badum tish.

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments I finished my Book Pal book this morning, Big Little Lies, and I loved it. Danielle is reading the same book, but in audio format. I'm not sure where she stands right now, but we were at one time on the same chapter!

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Epperson | 10 comments I finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben and really enjoyed it. Basically a happily married man is approached by a stranger who reveals a rather shocking secret about the man's wife which then starts a cascade of events. I won't reveal any more, but it makes you re-think what you consider privacy on the internet and whether we have a right to keep things secret.

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (new)

US Marshal Teddy Daniels has come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to find an escaped murderer named Rachel Solando.

As a killer hurricane bears down on the island, the investigation deepens and the questions mount. How has a barefoot woman escaped from a locked room? Who is leaving them clues in the form of cryptic codes? And what really goes on in Ward C?

The closer Teddy gets to the truth, the more elusive it becomes. And the more he begins to believe that he may never leave Shutter Island. Because someone is trying to drive him insane...

Cold War America in 1954 and Shutter Island, off the coast of New England, is the location of a high security sanatorium that houses some of America's most violent and disturbed criminals. Teddy Daniels and his new partner Chuck Aule are two U.S Federal Marshals sent to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of Rachel Solando, a delusional child killer.

You Think You've Figured It Out and....then

Apparently, Solando has done the impossible and managed to escape from of a locked cell, slip unseen past a group of orderlies playing cards, and get beyond two other guarded checkpoints. It would be an impossible swim from the island back to land, so Solando must still be somewhere on the island. But where? Perhaps the secret coded message she left behind will be just the clue the marshals need to help solve the unexplainable disappearance.

Teddy Daniels jumped at the assignment when it came up. He is concerned about finding the missing patient, but he is also full of ulterior motives. When his wife died in an apartment fire, the fire-starter was sentenced to spend the rest of his life at Aschecliffe. Part of him wants to confront the man responsible for his wife's death. Part of him wants to kill the guy.

Shutter Island is a wild ride, an impressive mystery, and an intense psychological thriller. Dennis Lehane is a talented writer, one who understands what readers want and expect in a suspense novel, and he gives it to them in a massive dosage !

A great choice for my book pal for May. 4.5 stars for me

message 38: by Vasudha (new)

Vasudha (vasudhaka) Finished my Book Pals book Little Women(vol.1). Loved it!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments I will be starting The Bone Collector later today.

message 40: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments Nearest Thing to Crazy by Elizabeth Forbes I'm so bored with this book & then suddenly I think I've sussed it out & if so, it's brillant & one of my favourite themes in psychologic thrillers. Wish I could stay home today to find out if I'm right. About 90 pages yet to go.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments Nearest Thing to Crazy by Elizabeth Forbes When your friends begin to think you’re going round the bend, you may start behaving in ways that confirm their suspicions & I was very caught up in (the most appropriately named) Cassandra’s predicament. Cassie is a middle-aged homebody whose principal occupations are gardening & breeding hens (perhaps her sole resemblance to the Duchess of Devonshire). She fears husband Dan & daughter Laura are being stolen from her by Ellie, a glamorous sophisticated newcomer to the village, whilst Cassie is accused of slipping into alcoholism & paranoia. But whilst parts of The Nearest Thing to Crazy are quite suspenseful, I’m not sure it’s really a work of crime fiction or simply a story about family relationships, some of which I found a little squalid, esp. Cassie’s with her nasty mother in a care home. But just as you can learn a lot about military tactics by studying lost battles, not-very-good books can help you enjoy the better ones. This one reminded me a lot of Helen Fitzgerald without her artistry & Cassie has all the inadequacies of Fitzgerald’s characters without their off-the-wall delicious dottiness. If one of Fitzgerald’s characters found a favourite chicken dead, it would have been hilarious. But I was pleased that I sussed out the villain’s scheme even before the author gave us a clue impossible to miss. But as we approach the finish Elizabeth Forbes loses concentration & force. The characters end up sitting around sharing things that had they not been hidden all along, there’d been nothing to fear. So tho’ I’d really been expecting a four star, this one faltered @ the end. I apologise to my partner E. for the choice. It’s not a dead loss but we could have done better. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 288 comments i finished my Book pal choice The Surgeon, i really liked it :) A great fast paced thriller that caught me from the first page :)

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8103 comments Luffy wrote: "I'm going to begin reading Divergent tomorrow. I'm going in with expectations so low that I expect to come across James Cameron any time now.

Question - What's the link between boo..."

I liked Divergent.

message 44: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8103 comments I'm reading the infamous Gone Girl. It's really not as good as it's made out to be. Thrillers that I've read this year that are much, much better reads:

The Girl on the Train
Imperfect Strangers
Before I Go To Sleep
The Magpies
A Tap on the Window

Also, I'm partway through The Bishop’s Wife and it's also better than GG. Really, what is the deal with the hype on this book?

message 45: by Sean, Moderator (new)

I hated Gone Girl !

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8103 comments I'm not quite up to hate, Sean. But it's definitely overhyped.

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8103 comments Just finished reading (unfortunately) Gone Girl Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn by Gillian Flynn

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 421 comments Claire and I both read Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. The first in the Grant County Series. I had already read all of the Will Trent Series and I think I've got another Karin Slaughter reader hooked!

I think Claire liked Blindsighted better than I did, but I think it is because I've read all the books in the Trent Series. I just like Will Trent as a character more than all the other characters. Who knows, I might get Claire hooked on Will Trent as well! This was her first Karin Slaughter book.

Thanks for being my book pal this month, Claire! It was fun to read your reaction to a popular author. Keep in touch!

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 501 comments I read The Bone Collector and loved it. I will be reading more on the series now:)

message 50: by Juliana (new)

Juliana | 340 comments I finished my book pal book Elizabeth is Missing I found it hard yet I wanted to find out what happen to Maud's sister (2 mysteries to solve in one book).
Maud has dementia so can't remember things I did enjoy this and can relate to this as my gran had stage 3 dementia (terrible illness)

« previous 1