Bookish Brits Book Club discussion

UKYA with LGBT characters and story lines

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) Can you help me by compiling a comprehensive list about UKYA/UKMG books that deal predominantly with LGBT characters?

I'm really looking for books with main characters but any story line with a significant side characters etc will be interesting as well.

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) Some of the titles I could think of:

Pantomime and Shadowplay by Laura Lam
Read Me Like A Book by Liz Kessler
This Is Not A Love Story by Keren David
Unspeakable by Abbie Rushton
Starring Kitty by Keris Stainton
Love Hurts edited by Malorie Blackman
Falling by Cat Clarke
A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke
What's Up With Jody Barton? by Hayley Long
Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman (side character)

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) Mentioned on twitter:

Hollow Pike by James Dawson
Cruel Summer by James Dawson
All of the Above by James Dawson

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) The Traitor Game by BR Collins
Love In Revolution by BR Collins

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) More Than This by Patrick Ness

message 6: by Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (last edited Apr 28, 2015 04:18AM) (new)

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies) (cloveryness) Sugar Rush and Sweet by Julie Birchill
Wildthorn by Jane Eagland
Losing It edited by Keith Gray

Secondary LGBT characters:

Undone by Cat Clarke
The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke
Pea's series by Susie Day
The Adventures of Sam and Sam by Susie Day
Hate by Alan Gibbons
Twice Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones by Susie Day

message 7: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog) (georgiathebibliomaniac) | 4 comments you've named everything I thought of but Liz de Jager's BANISHED and VOWED feature a supporting character that's bisexual. It isn't a pivotal thing to the plot though! If I can think of any more I'll let you know :D

message 8: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog) (georgiathebibliomaniac) | 4 comments Just stalked my GR list for anything more - the only other UK work I could find w/ LGBT characters was THE WICKED + THE DIVINE by Kieron Gillen but that is a graphic novel so not sure if you'd count that... :)

message 9: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog) (georgiathebibliomaniac) | 4 comments Ooh I forgot! The Big Lie by Julie Mayhew (non-explicitly-stated lesbian navigating her life under a contemporary Nazi rule - if ww2 had ended differently). Really interesting & out in august :)

message 10: by Alexia (new)

Alexia Casale | 1 comments Sally Green has released a spoiler that shows the Half Bad series will definitely be worth adding to the list! In Alice Oseman's Solitaire, Tori's brother and his boyfriend are very important characters. Two key characters in Night School are almost certainly gay. Adorkable. Um...

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (solittletimeforbooks) | 1 comments Pretty Things by Sarra Manning.