YA Fanatics discussion

over or under rated books

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

comment some books you think are too hyped up, or ones that you think need more attention.

Alexandra Beatriz (ummduhitsme) | 45 comments there's the fault in our stars

message 3: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle King | 23 comments Shiver, Linger and Forever are too hyped up

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Annabelle wrote: "Shiver, Linger and Forever are too hyped up"

definitely. I couldn't get past shiver.

message 5: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle King | 23 comments Lily wrote: "Annabelle wrote: "Shiver, Linger and Forever are too hyped up"

definitely. I couldn't get past shiver."

I finished the series but they were very slow.

message 6: by Lucinda (last edited Apr 28, 2015 03:25AM) (new)

Lucinda | 45 comments Mod
I agree with Alex, 'The Fault in our Stars' was way too hyped up!!!

message 7: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Paslidis | 30 comments Mod
Yeah 'The fault in Our Stars' wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I personally think 'Looking for Alaska' was way better and should have been made into a movie instead.

Alexandra Beatriz (ummduhitsme) | 45 comments I second Ruby!

message 9: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle King | 23 comments I loved the fault in our stars!!!!!!! I didn't like looking for Alaska.

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie I take it people either didn't like or loved one or the other - Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars.
I haven't read either yet.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

looking for Alaska was much, in my eyes, better. the characters were perfectly flawed which made for an interesting read. I loved the mysteries of Alaska and enjoyed reading it more although I did like TFIOS. I think when the movie came out it did become cliché - I would see girls carrying it around everywhere, just to show it off- I think that its a shame that it became like.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

*that

message 13: by Lucinda (new)

Yeah, I would see girls carrying TFIOS around everywhere for half the year just to show it off.

message 14: by Lucinda (last edited Apr 28, 2015 07:04PM) (new)

Looking for Alaska was definitely my favourite John Green book, it was much better than TFIOS.

message 15: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle King | 23 comments Lily wrote: "looking for Alaska was much, in my eyes, better. the characters were perfectly flawed which made for an interesting read. I loved the mysteries of Alaska and enjoyed reading it more although I did ..."
I agree I liked the book before the movie came out. Movie fans annoy me.

Alexandra Beatriz (ummduhitsme) | 45 comments movie fans annoy me, too. -_- Like TFIOS, I've seen a lot of people having "okay? okay" signs everywhere. ugh

Alexandra Beatriz (ummduhitsme) | 45 comments also, I asked them if they've read the book or watched the movie. Almost all of them said no. :|

message 18: by Lucinda (new)

I really don't get why people could ever use something as beautiful as a book just to look 'cool'. It really just annoys me. Books should never be treated that way because they are far to amazing!

Alexandra Beatriz (ummduhitsme) | 45 comments I agree with you, Lucinda! Books are precious and shouldn't be treated that way.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

agreed

Just Another Bookish Blog (justanotherbookishblog) | 81 comments Lucinda wrote: "I really don't get why people could ever use something as beautiful as a book just to look 'cool'. It really just annoys me. Books should never be treated that way because they are far to amazing!"

My thoughts exactly! Its like when people have really good books on their shelves to make it seem like they've read them, and you try to start a conversation but you can't because they haven't picked it up yet.

Or people with bookish symbols (Deathly Hallows, the Okay, Okay, the Angelic Rune etc) without knowing where they actually come from.

:|

message 22: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) I totally agree with you!

message 23: by Rabecka (new)

Rabecka (mrtickles) I think that all the John Green books are too hyped up. I only read TFIOS because I needed to know what my friends were talking about. I tried An Abundance of Katherins and hated it. I am now reading Paper Towns but only because the movie is coming out and I want to see the movie.

message 24: by Phoenix2 (new)

Phoenix2 People think that John Green is the new Nickolas Sparks or something. But I agree that the books aren't that good. For over rated books I must say that the Beautiful creatures series were not as good as their ratings suggest. Maybe the first book was good, but the rest were too tiring to keep up with wherever Lena will turn bad or not.

message 25: by Lucinda (new)

Yeah I agree with you on Beautiful Creatures, it definitely didn't live up to its ratings and I also found that it dragged on and on.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not love those either

message 27: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Zavala (Brandizavala3) | 98 comments Caroline (JustAnotherBookishBlog) wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "I really don't get why people could ever use something as beautiful as a book just to look 'cool'. It really just annoys me. Books should never be treated that way because they are ..."
agreed

message 28: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Zavala (Brandizavala3) | 98 comments Caroline (JustAnotherBookishBlog) wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "I really don't get why people could ever use something as beautiful as a book just to look 'cool'. It really just annoys me. Books should never be treated that way because they are ..."
argeed