Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > 2015 Book #4 - BSDS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hi,

Following up the greatest negotiation process in history, here come the 3 (not one) topics for the next book :

Bastard / Scoundrel + Drugs + Silence

The rules state that the book must be conform with all three topics! (the book cover is not an argument)

PS I wonder is BSDS means something :)

Всем удачи! / Good luck to all !

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Okay, I'm gonna be lazy and pluck for Naked Lunch by Mr William S. Burroughs.

It has drugs and definitely some bastards-cum-scoundrels and I'm pretty sure there's silence in there (the synopsis says there's a 'limbo' and there must surely be some sort of lack of sound in a place like that...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Lunch

message 3: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
Google'd BSDS and was not disappointed:

- British Society of Dermatological Surgery
- Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale

message 4: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments From my side, i couldnt find a way to link BSDS to the "Idiot" so I suggest "Killing Pablo" the book which even got filmed in Breaking bad :)

It is a non fiction about catching the head of Colombia cocaine cartel - Pablo Escobar.
There are drugs, like lots of drugs, silence since he made on of his servant drown in front of his guests as a lesson ... and this intelligent bastard mastermind was really clever! it took them 16 months to catch him!

Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw

message 5: by Mimi (last edited Apr 28, 2015 05:27AM) (new)

Mimi | 126 comments my suggestion is wilkie collins' classic Wilkie Collins HIDE AND SEEK - a mysterious deaf-mute being mistreated by scoundrels in a travelling circus, and then being saved/locked away by what i'm assuming are also scoundrels. as for drugs, it turns out wilkie's writing was largely 'inspired' by the prevalent drug-induced hallucinations he enjoyed/suffered from due to his laudanum habit. hopefully that qualifies...

message 6: by René (new)

I'm going to go with Trainspotting. It's got drugs, lots of 'em, it's got scoundrels (because drugs). As for silence, well, I'm pretty sure there's an overdose scene from having watched the film.

I like the idea of this book because it's written in phonetic Scottish, a reminder that there are still native English writers outside of England, North America, India and Nigeria.

Ariane-Matthieue (Armatthy) | 4 comments Hi guys,
I've just joined the group, I have no idea of a book that could fit in the given conditions (Scoundrel + Drugs + Silence) anyway I would be pleased to participate to the reading with you :-)

message 8: by René (new)

Welcome @Ariane-Matthieue! Soon we'll have a vote on the book, then we all read it and meet up to discuss it at a future date.

message 9: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments i gotta say, i'm amazed at everyones restraint in not stealing renes initial suggestion of sherlock holmes.

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hi Ariane-Matthieue! welcome to the club! Ill be openning up the book vote on Sunday. If you find something till then dont hesitate to post it.

I can add Sherlock though :)

message 11: by Ariane-Matthieue (new)

Ariane-Matthieue (Armatthy) | 4 comments thanks Katerina, i'l check this out ;-)

message 12: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hello Hello,

Hope that everyone survived this rainy weekend.
So as promised here are our BSDS nominees:
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Killing Pablo The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw by Mark Bowden
classic Wilkie Collins HIDE AND SEEK (illustrated, complete, and unabridged) by Wilkie Collins
Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
and
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) by Arthur Conan Doyle

So let the battle begin:

http://doodle.com/qdx7vi9uz3fdce35

PS. If everyone could vote before Thursday 7th 24:00 that would be great.

message 13: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments You just have to admire the restraint René's showed by not nominating his cousin Amitav's Sea of poppies and River of smoke.

message 14: by René (new)

Obviously, that guy is trying to steal my thunder.

message 15: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Hi everyone, I joined the group and hope to participate in your next meeting if you still welcome newbies (unless you submit them to a endurance/reading test, in this case I prefer to admit right away that I seldom read in the evenings because I doze off too quickly... There, I said it).
bye for now!

message 16: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hi Lara!

You are welcome! Dont hesitate to join our next meeting.
We are still voting for the next book (in the doodle above), so you can just go there and vote.

Its a good idea for the newbies test though :) we would test it right on our next meeting ! ;)

message 17: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Hi Katerina, thanks for the welcome! Quite a promising list of nominees you got there.

message 18: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Actually during our vote I feel as if I had bet money on a book and i want it to win so much : )

message 19: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hello,

Just a small reminder that ill be closing the votes tomorrow evening. Those who didn't vote yet are very welcome, as we seem to need to do a second round for now ...

message 20: by René (new)

Well, in the interest of breaking the tie, I am going to change my vote!

message 21: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments its still a tie between Pablo ans H&S. m'y Sherlock doesnt change anything.
Anybody else want to vote ? or for a change we read both of them :)

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments It's just too close! It's just like the General Election in the UK tomorrow! But which book is the Right and which is the Left?!

message 23: by René (new)

Well obviously Killing Pablo is on the right, because war on drugs.

If anyone isn't sure of coming to the meet, please remove your vote.

message 24: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments this month has really descended into total mayhem pretty quickly. maybe our theme should have been slippery slopes

message 25: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments OMG i just found that there is a Trainspotting movie (1996) with young Evan Mc Gregor (he was just 25) !!! if nothing changes till tomorrow evening ill give my voice to Evan - i dont care for some old Pablo ...

message 26: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments ok - now i feel sooo old. and just to dig myself further into the hole, there's also a classic hiphop track from 1996 based on naked lunch (bug powder dust).

message 27: by René (new)

It seems like just yesterday Trainspotting came out. And the Iggy Pop joke is still relevant today!

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Katerina, you've made us all feel like grandparents! The film came out while I was at uni and seemingly everyone had the poster of it on their bedroom walls... and it's why we all fell in love with Ewan - that and his previous film with that director (Boyle), Shallow Grave. We all went to the film multiple times, all played the soundtrack to death... I'll get my coat.

René, what's the joke?

message 29: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments wait is this way better : hey remember there was this movie ) not so long ago )

message 30: by Justin (last edited May 07, 2015 12:39AM) (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Yes! Or: "there was this movie a long time ago in a gala–"

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Happy birthday, René!

message 32: by René (new)

From the movie:

Diane: You can't stay in here all day dreaming about heroin and Ziggy Pop.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: It's Iggy Pop.

Diane: Whatever. I mean, the guy's dead anyway.

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: Iggy Pop's not dead. He toured last year!

message 33: by René (new)

Thank you @Justin!

message 34: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments @René:

In da book club

Go, go, go, go go, go, go, shawty
It's your birthday
We gon' party like it's yo birthday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday

message 35: by René (new)

Thank yo @Nabil! That is a nice thought

message 36: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments I prefer Martini :)

Course of Russian:

С ДНЕМ РОЖДЕНИЯ :) !!!!

message 37: by René (new)

Благодарю вас так много!

message 38: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments :)

message 39: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments happy birthday - i will drink a pina colada in your honour

message 40: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Since nothing happened, i changed my vote to avoid the eternal tie.

So the winner is : Trainspotting !

Happy reading - and dont get too much into drugs!

Its like 450 pages - so I say see you all in summer ? :)

message 41: by Ariane-Matthieue (new)

Ariane-Matthieue (Armatthy) | 4 comments I'm so late in the comments by the way happy birthday René !!

message 42: by René (new)

This is hard to read. I don't recognize any of the words, but if I read them out loud it's like there's a Scotsman in my head.

message 43: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
I am available for translation if anyone wants!

message 44: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Alan, I didn't understand a word you just said...

message 45: by René (new)

Ay cannae oonerstan' a woord, Alan, yoo got to trae harder noo!

message 46: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Away an beil yer, hied, ya glakit sassenach !

message 47: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments i think im going to search for a Russian version ..

message 48: by René (last edited May 13, 2015 12:51AM) (new)

The Scottish terms are starting to fall into place for me. I still hear the voice but it makes sense now. I think I'll soon be ready to receive my honorary Scotsman degree.

Alan will bestow the degrees at the next meetup. There will be a short ceremony followed by shortbread cookies.

message 49: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments How do you guys decide on a date for the skag meet?

message 50: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments @Lara: we either have a poll or we sacrifice a virgin to the bookclub god. But mostly through a poll on doodle.

« previous 1 3