You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Preparation > May 2015 - Books Announced

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments The two books chosen for the May Group Read are The Martian and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The Martian was an outright winner but Hitchiker drew with Ancillary Justice so I had to consult the fruit machine for the second book.

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I would really like to read Ancillary Justice so I was thinking of setting up a buddy read for that if anyone wants to join me.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Just received an email from the library saying The Martian is ready for pick up. I'm not a science fiction lover, but I really want to try this one.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I read The Martian earlier this year and loved it so I'm looking forward to talking about that, and I haven't re-read The hitchhiker's Guide in a couple of years so I'll be re-reading it.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments Sarah,
Count me in for the buddy read . I have read the 2 books that were selected.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I would also be interested in the buddy read for Ancillary Justice.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments OK cool. I'll set up a thread in the buddy reads section for Ancillary Justice when I get home.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13600 comments I've read The Martian. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it. I will probably read either The Darwin Elevator or one of the Scalzi books.

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments I consumed The Darwin Elevator trilogy last year, Kristie. I really liked it. I hope you like the first book!

I have read the other two books, so, I will be reading Redshirts for my group read. I have been saving it for months and can finally get it off of my list. I will be checking in on the topics for all.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13600 comments Good to hear, Cherie!

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments Are you listening or reading? Just curious and, if listening to audio narrated by Simon Vance, he is great but there are so many characters in the first part of book one that they are hard to keep seperate and one of the female voices leaves a little to be desired. Not bad, but not especially good. I wish I had had a printed version, but after paying 20 dollard per audio book, I didn't want to spend any more. Just my fyi.

message 12: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I've read and loved Hitchhiker's Guide. Might give it a re-read but The Martian will be my main read this month. A reading buddy-friend highly recommended it : )

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments Both 5 stars for me, TJ. I hope you like TM!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13600 comments I have both, Cherie. I was reading it and lost interest, because I had to keep putting it down. Then I got the audio, but was getting confused by it, so I didn't make it very far. I'm planning to read the paper copy.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments The audio is worth the listen, but you really have to pay attention. Not so much after the middle part of the 1st book. Will await your response, Kristie

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I voted for Redshirts. It's reserved and ready for pick up at my library so I'm going to read that one for sure. I also reserved The Martian once the final votes were cast and the books announced. It looks interesting so once it comes in I'll join the group read for that.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments Susan wrote: "I voted for Redshirts. It's reserved and ready for pick up at my library so I'm going to read that one for sure. I also reserved The Martian once the final votes wer..."

I cannot wait to start on Redshirts. It is much shorter than I thought, so I may re-listen to The Martian, just for fun.

Berit Talks Books (berittalksbooks) | 339 comments I love The Martian, and I am not a space kind of girl. I guess I will try The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, why not?

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments I tried to start listening to Redshirts early this morning. I set the timer for 30 minutes and didn't make it before I fell asleep. Wil Wheaton is the narrator. I really liked him in Ready Player One!

message 20: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Cherie, maybe you started a little too early in the morning.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments @Cherie - I'm picking up Redshirts at the library tomorrow and should be able to get started reading this weekend. I am wishing I had the audio version though, I think Wil Wheaton narrating would be highly entertaining.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I will set the book threads up in a couple hours when I get home. totally lost track of what day it was. my apologies.

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments All good. I did that yesterday. Went to write 31 April at work and went "Hang on, that's not right... Oh Bugger! The Reporting Thread!!"

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Don't worry, you moderators do a great job. Moderate such an active group is certainly a lot of work. Thank you!

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments Susan wrote: "@Cherie - I'm picking up Redshirts at the library tomorrow and should be able to get started reading this weekend. I am wishing I had the audio version though, I think Wil Wheato..."

I finished yesterday, Susan. Wil Weaton was GREAT!!!

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Cherie wrote: "Susan wrote: "@Cherie - I'm picking up Redshirts at the library tomorrow and should be able to get started reading this weekend. I am wishing I had the audio version though, I th..."

Cherie, I'm about 10 chapters into Redshirts and I'm loving it so far! I've already informed my husband that he absolutely has to read this when I'm done.