What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Historical Fiction/murder about a victorian scandal in a boy's boarding school set in England

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoebe (last edited Apr 28, 2015 12:05AM) (new)

Phoebe Tran | 3 comments WHEN you read the book-I think I read the book in the past five years. I'm pretty sure it was published after 2010 or in the early 200s at the earliest.

What reading level it is aimed at-This is at the adult reading level.

What the story is about-I think the story was some sort of murder or historical fiction about a scandal in a boy's boarding school in Victorian England. I think there was something to do with homosexuality as well.

Other Info-I think the cover was a darkish blue and there might have been the word white in the title. I remember there was either a Greek head like on a bust on the cover or a feather. I remember it being on some best of list a couple years ago. I am also pretty sure the author is a woman.

What the genre is-Historical Fiction or Mystery

What format is the book in-I believe it is in book and kindle form.

message 2: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 60 comments Possibly Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris?

message 3: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Tran | 3 comments I'm not sure this is it but this one does look interesting and I'll probably check it out. Thanks anyway!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
The White Devil?

The White Devil by Justin Evans

Readers of this thoroughly upsetting horror-mystery hybrid will find their nightmares imprinted with several unshakable images, the worst of which is that of a withered child hunched over a bed, vomiting bile into the mouth of a sleeping girl. The child—known as “the Lot Ghost” by students of England’s esteemed Harrow School—is revealed to be an early gay lover of Lord Byron, brought back to bloodthirsty life by the arrival of 17-year-old Andrew Taylor, who has fled his American school following a disastrous drug incident. Andrew is the spitting image of Byron, which gets him cast as the lusty poet in a school production written by housemaster Piers Fawkes, ex-genius and current alcoholic. Two boys who befriend Andrew are abruptly taken with a horrific respiratory illness, the details of which dovetail with the play’s foremost concern: Who was Byron’s greatest love? Evans’ crackling literary mystery is resolutely academic; part of the climax actually involves the writing of an essay. If that sounds dry, fear not: the scourge of tuberculosis provides visceral, icky counterpoints, while Harrow itself contains Shirley Jackson levels of gloomy passages and dark secrets.

message 5: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Tran | 3 comments Hmm, I don't think it's this one. I don't think there are any ghosts in the story. Thanks though!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Phoebe, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by David (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments Phoebe, is it A Dangerous Fortune?

Here is the blurb from my local library.

In 1866 tragedy strikes at the exclusive Windfield School when a mysterious accident takes the life of a student. Among the student's circle of friends are Hugh Pilaster; Hugh's older cousin Edward, dissolute heir to the Pilaster banking fortune; and Micky Miranda, the handsome son of a brutal South American oligarchy. The death and its aftermath begin the spiraling circle of treachery that will span three decades and entwine many lives.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Phoebe, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.