Tyngsboro Book & Food Club discussion

16 views
What would we like to read next? Suggestions please.

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marylene (last edited Apr 27, 2015 07:30PM) (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
I spoke with Mara. She asked if would like to take over the club for a bit to get us back on track as she has had her son and is a bit busy right now. I'm not too sure how to do this, so I'm going to start by asking for suggestions for the next book and the I will set up a poll. I'm thinking we meet in June sometime?

Let me know your thoughts on this thread or an inbox message.

I would like to start by suggesting The Girl on the Train The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins . I've heard great things about this book and the reviews seem very positive. I just started it and think it's very interesting so far.

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you.


message 2: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
Hi Marylene. That book looks great! :)


message 3: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
The Good Girl The Good Girl by Mary Kubica This one also sounds good to me. Helen I see it's on your to be read list too.


message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments the Girl on the Train sounds good to me. if we're going to meet at the Barnes & Noble in Nashua, weekends are best for me.


message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments The girl on the train...been wanting to read. :)


message 6: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Its sounding like we might not need a poll. everyone seems interested in The Girl on the Train so far. I was thinking the Barnes and Nobles most likely. The cafe is nice and big there. Maybe a Sunday in June?


message 7: by Eva (new)

Eva | 7 comments Congratulations Mara!


message 8: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments "The Girl on the Train" is on-sale at Target this week for $15 if anyone wants to get their copy.


message 9: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
Thanks, Eva! My son, Steven, is doing really well. I have tons of pictures posted if you'd like to see: https://instagram.com/marajlyons/

I'll try to make it to the next book club meeting. Thanks for organizing, Marylene! Hope you all are doing well!


message 10: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: ""The Girl on the Train" is on-sale at Target this week for $15 if anyone wants to get their copy."

Thanks Sheri. Thats awesome. I have mine, but I really appreciate the info for anyone else.


message 11: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "Thanks, Eva! My son, Steven, is doing really well. I have tons of pictures posted if you'd like to see: https://instagram.com/marajlyons/

I'll try to make it to the next book club meeting. Tha..."


Thanks Mara. I'm happy to help. I hope some of us do make it. We still have to come up with a date though. Should I do a Poll with a couple of Sundays in June?


message 12: by Coreen (new)

Coreen (coreen123) | 4 comments Hi book club! I'm a newbie, but I love reading and want to meet people in the area (just moved to Tewskbury). Just to throw some June dates out there, I could do 6/6 or 6/20, you know how fast summer fills up!

Coreen


message 13: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Hi Coreen! Welcome to the area. I believe some of the girls mentioned Sundays have worked best in the past, but why dont i put up a poll with a few dates and see what we get.


message 14: by Eva (new)

Eva | 7 comments Seriously cute baby, Mara!!! Now that Saoirse's turning 3, I really miss those baby days, but I also remember how much work it was too. :-)

I just finished the girl on the train. Good book!


message 15: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
I agree with Eva. So adorable! It goes by so fast, so cherish it all now.

I'm glad you liked the book Eva. I'm just about done with it.

I put up a poll for dates. Please let me know whats best for evryone.


message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen Kelly | 1 comments hi guys! I can't find the poll because I'm on my phone but I would love to come to the bookclub. I read The Girl on the Train and lived it! June 7th or 14th works for me!


message 17: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "hi guys! I can't find the poll because I'm on my phone but I would love to come to the bookclub. I read The Girl on the Train and lived it! June 7th or 14th works for me!"

Helen. I believe you should have an email with an invite too cuz i sent it out to everyone in the group. At least I think thats how it works.


message 18: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments Just realized that the poll only allows you to choose one date, therefore, here are all of the dates I'm available. Definitely June 7 and 14. Possibly June 20 and 27.


message 19: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: "Just realized that the poll only allows you to choose one date, therefore, here are all of the dates I'm available. Definitely June 7 and 14. Possibly June 20 and 27."

Thanks Sheri.


message 20: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
From the dates listed on the poll, I just realized I now cant do the 14th. The live in boyfriends daughters graduation is that afternoon. are there enough of us that can do a different date? seems like a few of us were aiming for that date or maybe this month?


message 21: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments Checking in to see if we picked a date yet. I have an opportunity to make other plans on June 7 and don't want to confirm those plans since I originally said I was available on June 7 for book club. If you can let me know, I'd appreciate it.


message 22: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Green | 1 comments Morning of June 7 works for me! Just finished Girl on a train. Interesting read!


message 23: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: "Checking in to see if we picked a date yet. I have an opportunity to make other plans on June 7 and don't want to confirm those plans since I originally said I was available on June 7 for book clu..."

what about June 6th? Can you do that date? Thats the other date with a few votes now. i dont think i can make June 7th. I have another party.


message 24: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Carrie wrote: "Morning of June 7 works for me! Just finished Girl on a train. Interesting read!"

What bout June 6th? We have 3 votes for the 6th. i have a party early afternoon on the 7th.


message 25: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments I already have plans for June 6 but if it works for everyone else the rest of you should meet then and I'll try and catch up with the group at the next meeting.


message 26: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: "I already have plans for June 6 but if it works for everyone else the rest of you should meet then and I'll try and catch up with the group at the next meeting."

oh. I feel bad. We havent finalized yet. I will keep you posted if we end up with another day.


message 27: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "Thanks, Eva! My son, Steven, is doing really well. I have tons of pictures posted if you'd like to see: https://instagram.com/marajlyons/

I'll try to make it to the next book club meeting. Tha..."


Hey Mara. Can you make any of the other dates other than the 14th or 28th?


message 28: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
How many of us can make the 20th? ive had a couple of requests...


message 29: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
I think I can make the 20th. I will be out of town June 14th.


message 30: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments Unfortunately, I already have plans for June 20.


message 31: by Coreen (new)

Coreen (coreen123) | 4 comments I can make the 6th, finished the book last week!


message 32: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "I think I can make the 20th. I will be out of town June 14th."

what about the 6th? looks like we might be sticking to that date cuz we have at least 4 available for that date. i was just trying to see if we had a date that everyone can do but it doesnt look like it.


message 33: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Coreen wrote: "I can make the 6th, finished the book last week!"

great. i think we may stick to that date.


message 34: by Coreen (new)

Coreen (coreen123) | 4 comments Ugh I hate to do this, but I can't make it on the 6th. If that date works for everyone else, I think we should continue and I'll catch the next one.


message 35: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Coreen wrote: "Ugh I hate to do this, but I can't make it on the 6th. If that date works for everyone else, I think we should continue and I'll catch the next one."

Im not really sure anymore. that was just the date that more of us could make. there were four replies for that date. i will have to see how it goes now when i hear back from everyone. what dates can you make...just in case we end up having to choose a different date?


message 36: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
I think I can attend on June 6th. I just started the book so I'm hoping I can finish it by Saturday! Seems pretty good so far though. :)


message 37: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "I think I can attend on June 6th. I just started the book so I'm hoping I can finish it by Saturday! Seems pretty good so far though. :)"

Do you know Kathy? She voted for June 6th along with Coreen but now Coreen cant make that date either, so i wasnt sure if we should be back to the 20th? i know Helen said she could do the 6th and I believe the 20th. but unless Kathy could amke it still, it night just be us 3 on that date.

this is not easy to get a date that works for most. what do you think? Stick with the 6th or attempt for the 20th?


message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments I'm pretty flexible so whatever works for the group should b fine with my schedule. I work days but not weekends so any evening or weekend is ok with me. Kathy


message 39: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
I think I can do both dates. I will probably have to bring the baby with me if we do this Saturday, but that should be fine if you all are okay with it. When we go out, he's usually pretty content to sleep in his car seat or to watch people.


message 40: by Coreen (new)

Coreen (coreen123) | 4 comments I can do the 20th if we end up switching


message 41: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
Marylene, what date were you leaning towards for the book club meeting?

(I'm loving the book and flying through it!)


message 42: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "Marylene, what date were you leaning towards for the book club meeting?

(I'm loving the book and flying through it!)"


Im thinking maybe the 20th might be better since Coreen can also make it on that date and so can Helen, Kathy, me and you. Is that ok and yes we would be more than fine with a cutelittle baby. :-)


message 43: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Next meeting will be Sat, June 20th at noon at the Barnes and Nobles in Nashua, NH.


message 44: by Mara (new)

Mara (marajl) | 35 comments Mod
Sounds great! Thank you so much for organizing, Marylene! I will plan to attend but keep you informed if I can't make it. :)


message 45: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 12 comments If my plans change for June 20, I'll join you.


message 46: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: "If my plans change for June 20, I'll join you."

ok. sounds good.


message 47: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 43 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "Sounds great! Thank you so much for organizing, Marylene! I will plan to attend but keep you informed if I can't make it. :)"

ok. great.


back to top