Children of the Exalted Secret (A Fantasy Roleplay) discussion

Delen > Tavern

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GC (new)

GC (greycacophony) | 535 comments Mod

A warm tavern full of loud, drunken farmers.

message 2: by GC (new)

Embryl loitered around the tavern in Delen, trying to get information on his target, charming as much as he could get out of the patrons. He was looking for a landlord, the owner of one of the fields who supposedly was dabbling in blood magic. He looked around, tankard of mead in his hand, trying to spot anyone who might know something about this Emmett Gifford he was looking for.

message 3: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin was sitting at a table with Yun, and the two were eating deer meat, and Severin had noticed a man that had been simply standing around for awhile without doing anything. He found it oddly suspicious.

message 4: by GC (new)

Embryl moved closer to the tables, speaking to a man about how Gifford treated his workers, trying to find a motive, or at least where he lived. When he got the information he needed, he stood outside of the tavern for a while, formulating a plan.

message 5: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun's ears had picked up different voices, but the one that had stood out was Embryl's, and how he was talking about someone. After Embryl left, Severin and Yun talked for a moment before walking out and after him.

message 6: by GC (new)

((I'm not going to make an entirely different setting for one minor character, so we can do this in this thread anyways))

Embryl was headed towards the house that the drunken tavern-goers had said was Gifford's, staff at the ready and magic already tingling on his finger tips. Hopefully this wouldn't be difficult, just an easy kill with no interruptions. After all, he was getting a pretty nice fee from the man's tenants. He whistled a jaunty tune to himself as he walked.

message 7: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments ((Alright.))

Severin had been following behind with Yun nearby on top of a roof. The two were able to communicate through signals, and hand signs. It was like they had their own language. Yun had stealthily jumped from roof to roof after Embryl, and Severin kept the hood of his cloak up so his face was unable to be fully seen.

message 8: by GC (new)

Embryl knew that he was being tailed. He wasn't entirely stupid. He stilled, his footsteps slowly stopping as he listened, hearing the sound of feet on roof tiles and the swish of fabric. He himself drew up his hood, a hand reaching for his staff, anticipating a fight. He whistled as he waited for the attack.

message 9: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin and Yun had stopped intheur tracks once Embryl did, and Severin made a signal for Yun to be careful in his next movements. As Severin moved again, he walked passed Embryl as if he was a simple passerby, and glanced up at the roof Yun was on, hoping the boy realized what he was doing. Yun was a natural fighter, after all. Just not very good with magic.

message 10: by GC (new)

Embryl kept his eye on the passerby, twirling his staff with a flourish and a trill in his whistle. The end lit up with the sickly green glow of fade magic, and mist began to surround him, obscuring everything around them as whispers from another dimension began to hiss in the air.

message 11: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin had stopped, his eyes widening a bit as the mist began to enshroud them. He immediately let out a whistle, and Yun was beside him once he jumped down from the roof. Severin had a hand on the boy's shoulder, and he pulled him back against his body. "Show yourself!" Severin called to Embryl, listening for any footsteps. The whispers were harsh and raspy in his ears, and he clenched his teeth.

message 12: by GC (new)

Embryl grinned, still spinning his his staff. "I might, if you tell me what you two want." He called, his voice tinged with laughter. The voices of the Fade often inspired fear in his enemies. He was impressed with this one's strength. "Why have you been tailing me since the tavern?"

message 13: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin let out a growl, and he narrowed his eyes, "We heard your little conversations about Emmett Gifford. So you're planning on killing the guy, huh? Well around here, we don't take kindly to assassins," he said, a smirk forming on his face. "If you think you can get passed us, you've got another thing coming, pal." He let go of Yun's shoulder, and grinned as the boy immediately unsheathed his shortsword, then spread out his arms, "Go ahead, I'll let you attack first."

message 14: by GC (new)

Embryl sneered. "And I don't take kindly to blood mages, so we're even." He felt through the Fade, seeing what spirits would help him, talking idly to give himself more time. "And I suppose he's got you under his control." He looked from the hooded man to the child, feeling his stomach sink. "I never agreed to killing a child, or a mind-controlled lackey. Just get out of my way and no one gets hurt." The whispers grew louder as the veil between reality and dreams blurred further.

message 15: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin continued to hold his arms out, not moving. "Mind-controlled lackey? As if. I just don't appreciate it when people kill others, no matter what the target has done." He then sighed, putting his arms and closing his eyes. "Yun." He said in a dark tone, and when he reopened his eyes, they glowed red. He flicked his wrist, and spikes of ice jutted out of the ground towards Embryl. Yun came running up from behind them, jumping up into the air before bringing his shortsword down towards Embryl to strike. Sure, two against one didn't seem fair, but Severin and Yun were a team.

message 16: by GC (new)

Embryl quickly spun his staff, knocking away the ice before rolling to dodge Yun's attack. "So blood magic is fine with you? Killing people for the sake of gaining power is alright? But me taking out someone who endangers so many lives dabbling in something he can't control is wrong?" He rolled away once more, calling forth a spirit of valor to to fight with him. "You need to sort out your priorities." The spirit lunged at Yun, sword raised. In that moment, Embryl threw a plume of the disorienting mist at Severin, moving in with his staff.

message 17: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun's sword immediately clashed with the spirit's, and he went back and forth as they both slashed at each other.

Severin coughed, watching his vision double and blur. He rubbed at his eyes and clenched his teeth, "Yun! Be careful!" He yelled, then clapped his hands together as he murmured a few words, and the ground began to shake. Suddenly, corpses were coming out of the dirt and Severin moved his hands in a swift motion, and the corpses began to move towards Embryl quickly.

message 18: by GC (new)

Embryl felt a hand clawing at his leg, and he let out a surprised cry, shaking the corpse's hand off before sprinting back away before casting a barrier back at them, giving himself time to momentarily try to open a rift behind them to pull them in. He only managed to nab a few, corpse reanimation not being of the fade. He cast more mist at Severin, Opening another momentary rift above him from out of which a few hail sized balls of fire fell. Meanwhile, the spirit he had summoned was also drawn back to the fade with the few corpses.

message 19: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin coughed, closing his eyes before he simply began to listen to hus surroundings. He continued to raise corpses, and listened for Yun's footsteps.

Yun had jumped back when the spirit went into the rift, then slashed at Embryl's barrier. He tried to break through by summoning fox fires, and let them hit and explode against it.

message 20: by GC (new)

Embryl was sent back by the explosion, falling and then quickly scurrying to his feet. The corpses were closing in on him, and the boy was past his barriers. "I am not afraid to summon a demon, cruadhálaidhe!" He intoned, arms already raised to call from the fade as he danced away from the revenants. In all honesty, he might not have enough manna to do so, nor enough to fight off a potential possession. It would be risky.

((I decided Myri elvish is just Irish gaelic because a.) I know a lot of gaelic curse words and b.) I get tired of having to translate things into roaming elvish, so this is a thing. ))

message 21: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun didn't seem fazed by Embryl's threat, charging at him and raising his sword.

Severin, meanwhile, was wiping at his eyes before he raised his arm. Ice spikes surrounded Embryl, and Severin rubbed his eyes again, "Go Yun!" He yelled to the boy.

message 22: by GC (new)

Embryl was trapped. His eyes were wide and all of a sudden he felt like a caged animal. The kitsune was lunging towards him with his sword drawn and he just... reacted. He closed his eyes and threw his arms back, power surging as a new rift opened, bright green mist and green light pouring out of it as a demon entered from across the veil. When he opened his eyes he recognized just what it was. "Fear." Fear demons are rarer than most, but Embryl's distress must have rang clearly through the fade. The creature laughed, it's appearance specific to him looking like a void, empty blackness against the world as it walked towards his enemies, allowing Embryl a moment to run away before its aura began to affect him.

message 23: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin signalled for Yun to follow after Embryl, and he could hear the fear demon screaming in his head. He winced, opening his eyes only for his vision to become blurry once again. He let out a growl, freezing the ground before letting the ice crack and break the ground below so that it was uneven and rocks were sticking out of the dirt.

Yun had followed after Embryl at Severin's command, and was chasing after him quickly.

message 24: by GC (new)

Embryl quickly turned, exhausted and out of manna, throwing down his hood and making eye contact. "Why do you want to stop me so badly?!?! That man is a blood mage! He has been killing people! He will keep killing people! He needs to be stopped, and your people asked me to do it! Do you really disagree with them?" He asked, voice a bit frantic.

message 25: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun's eyes widened at the words "blood mage," and he ran faster, grabbing Embryl by his cloak and throwing him to the ground. "Blood mage?" He asked, "I was not informed of this," he said, his voice soft, yet harsh.

Severin, having defeated the demon, was now leaning against a wall as he tried to regain his vision.

message 26: by GC (new)

Embryl was breathing heavy, limbs tingling and heavy as lead. "Yes. Why else would I be here? I was hired by the men working his land, a blood plot. People have said that he's evil. They promised me gold to kill an evil blood mage, so here I am." He looked into the boy's eyes, hand still clinging to his staff. "So why are you stopping me?"

message 27: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments "Brother and I don't like assassins. They kill people for money. Even if a person has done something bad, they don't deserve to be murdered." Yun explained, then held his sword to Embryl's throat, "So why should I let you go?"

message 28: by GC (new)

Embryl sighed, moving his head away from the blade as much as he could. "Because this man is killing innocent people who don't deserve to be murdered. Sometimes death is necessary to prevent death with no purpose. I want to help people! Please."

message 29: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun's eyes narrowed, and he pulled his sword away from Embryl's neck. He got to his feet before sheathing his sword and looking back as he heard footsteps, only to see Severin there.

Severin rubbed his eyes again as he began to regain his sight. "Yun! Are you alright?" He asked, putting a hand on the boy's shoulder.

message 30: by GC (new)

Embryl quickly got to his feet, blinking at the two. "So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you two aren't going to try to stop me now, correct?" He paused, groaning in realization. "Not that it matters because I'm out of manna and will have to wait till tomorrow to kill this son of a bitch."

message 31: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun nodded, then hit Severin in the arm only to have him flinch and look at Yun. This caused Yun to give him a scolding look.

"What?" Severin asked, frowning a bit.

"This man is saying Gifford is a blood mage. Did you know anything about that?" Yun asked as his two tails swayed.

Severin shook his head, looking at Embryl in slight surprise, "Are you absolutely sure that Gifford is a blood mage? Who did you hear that from?"

message 32: by GC (new)

Embryl shrugged. "I got a letter from some of the workers here in Delen reporting the disappearances of Gifford's workers, reporting suspicions of murder and blood magic. In turn, I was offered a hefty sum of money for his death. I came here. The people I talked to here in the tavern answered when I asked. A few said that it made sense that he was a blood mage, others tossed around rumors. I was on my way to investigate and, if I found any evidence, take him out." He scowled, crossing his arms. "That is, until you two started tailing me and drained all of my manna."

message 33: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin shrugged, "Hey, not our fault you look naturally suspicious," he said, earning a punch in the arm from Yun. "Ow!" He said, frowning a bit.

"Anyways," Yun started, "As an apology for the trouble we've caused you, you may rest at our home if you'd like." He said in a bit of a cold tone.

message 34: by GC (new)

Embryl hesitated not really sure that he should trust the people that had just tried to kill him mere minutes ago. However, he didn't have anywhere to go, and he had been banking on being able to cash in on that job to afford a room for the night, so that was out. His hands were tied. "I'll take you up on that offer, but if there's any more problems caused by my 'naturally suspicious' looks, then there will be trouble."

message 35: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun nodded, but Severin opened his mouth to protest, earning a punch in the arm again.

Severin simply sighed, and he gestured for Embryl to follow them, "Our home is this way..." He mumbled in a pouty tone.

message 36: by GC (new)

Embryl didn't move, an eyebrow raised. "If you don't want me to stay there, then I won't. Also, knowing each others' names first would be something that I would suggest." They were an odd pair, and it was clear that the little one was definitely in charge here, which amused Embryl to no end. The other, obviously older, one still had yet to take his hood off, which made Embryl a bit wary, but anyone who took orders from a child couldn't be that bad... right?

message 37: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Severin shrugged, pulling down his hood to reveal his face. "My name is Severin Vivac, and this here is my younger brother Yun." He said, gesturing to the smaller boy.

Yun nodded in greeting, then turned to walk towards their home. "Severin! Let's hurry up so we can make dinner!"

message 38: by GC (new)

If Embryl was going to be honest with himself, he was a sucker for a pretty face, and boy was this a pretty face. He cleared his throat, following behind Yun. "I'm Embryl Mistwalker. I'd say it's a pleasure, but we did just try to kill each other."

((Do you want me to make them a house???))

message 39: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments "Likewise, I would say so, but as you said, it is no pleasure at all." Yun said, then waited for Severin to catch up.

Severin ruffled Yun's hair, grinning down at him and earning a small giggle from the boy. It made his heart flutter with joy. He looked at Embryl, shrugging, "I'm gonna have to agree with Yun on that."

((Sure.))

message 40: by GC (new)

Embryl grinned, putting a hand over his heart. "Oh! You wound me." He replied, enjoying watching the two of them. Together they were a strange pair, and it was clear that Severin was wrapped around Yun's finger.

message 41: by GC (new)

Embryl was absolutely flutered, angrily downing tankard after tankard of disgustingly cheap Delen beer, racking up a tab. He also had a new black eye and puffy red knuckles from a bar fight earlier in the evening. Every time someone came near him to try and talk he would either brush them off in Myri or pick a fight. Either way, he was a mess.

message 42: by Izzy (last edited May 14, 2015 07:07PM) (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun walked into the tavern, asking one of the bartenders to get him some cooked deer meat, one medium-rare and the other well-done. He looked over, his eyes widening when he saw Embryl. He rushed over, gently pulling on Embryl's shirt, "Embryl! Embryl! There you are! I was wondering why you didn't come back with Severin!" He said, a wide smile on his face.

message 43: by GC (new)

Embryl whirled around, eyes wide and defensive. When he saw that it was Yun, his back clenched and he hunched over, face half hidden behind his tankard. "Yun. Just leave me be. I need to be alone for a while." He said stormily, grip on the handle tight.

message 44: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun frowned, gently grabbing onto his shirt, "Why? Did you and Brother get in a fight? Is that why he's so depressed?" He asked, "He hasn't come out of his room for hours, ever since he got home..." Yun pulled on Embryl's shirt again, "Whatever you two fought about, I'm sure you two can forgive each other! After all, you two are friends!"

message 45: by GC (new)

Embryl shook his head gravely, his gaze far away. "I messed up, Yun. And this is bigger than we thought. I just... There are things you're too young to know about, terrible things that were done to elves, and that the elves did to humans." He scrubbed a hand over his face. "And it's happening again. I did something... Something awful, and it scared Severin. I don't think he'll trust me after this."

message 46: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments "Well then you don't know him very well." Yun said, "Brother isn't the type of person to just give up a friend, no matter what they've done. He usually tells me, 'I've learned to forgive people for the things they've done, no matter what it is,' so I'm sure he'll do the same for you." Yun grabbed Embryl's hand, "And no matter what elves and humans did to each other, that's in the past. So why don't you move on?"

message 47: by GC (new)

Embryl shook his head once more. "Yun. You don't get it. This is bigger than all of that." He sighed. "We went after Gifford. H-he called me a knife ear and I... I killed him, but there's more to it than that. He was working under orders, something about the Inner God, and the Circle, and their master. I'm not sure about their master, but the Circle is... dangerous." He took a deep breath, preparing to tell the tale.

"Back in the day, before there was any semblance of peace, there was a war between the elven race and the humans. Elves were nothing but slaves back then, more so than today. There was an uprising, a revolution in the name of freedom. But there was a force, a group of mages, hell bent on stopping them. They called themselves the Circle of the Inner God, a group of people who believed in the undeniable truth that humans were the dominant race. They completely destroyed the original Myrium before it was rebuilt in a different location. Elves won their freedom, but only barely, and the Circle disappeared." He sighed. "It looks like they're back, and have a new leader."

message 48: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun frowned, looking down before back up at Embryl, "Well, if you need help in any way, I can try to do at least something. But you need to come talk to Severin, he won't leave his bedroom...I'm really worried about him, Embryl!" He said, and he began to shake as tears came to his eyes, "I don't want him to be so sad..."

message 49: by GC (new)

Embryl couldn't handle little kid tears sober, let alone when he was smashed. He sighed. "Okay, but I'm warning you now, I've very little control over my tongue at the moment. I might... I might make it worse. I didn't mean to scare him. I just, I was angry. Angrier than I've ever been before." No one had called him an elf in years, let alone a knife ear. He had almost... forgotten. After all, he did leave Myrium for a reason.

message 50: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (goodreadscomizzy) | 480 comments Yun sniffled, nodding a bit. "O-Okay...just...just try not to say anything mean..." He gently held out a hand, hoping to help the drunk male back to his home. He hoped whatever Embryl said to Severin would make him feel better.

« previous 1