Time Travel discussion

The Time Traveler's Almanac > Forty, Counting Down -Harry Turtledove (4-26-2015)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Available online here:

http://will.tip.dhappy.org/blog/Compr...

message 2: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
I only got partway through this this week but it is an interesting concept. Hope to finish it while getting up to speed on this week's read.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 872 comments Well, I was surprised that he didn't simply give advice to his younger self. That, I think, would probably have been more effective to the original goal. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Cheryl wrote: "Well, I was surprised that he didn't simply give advice to his younger self. That, I think, would probably have been more effective to the original goal. [spoilers removed]"

I liked this one. Cheryl. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 872 comments Oh, I agree, Glynn. It's just that the gimmick, that he would be reckless (?) enough to pinch hit for his younger self, instead of just coaching him, doesn't seem plausible to me. Unless the idea of hooking up with his ex made him throw common sense out the window... which is entirely believable!

My question re' Is he truly happier now? is more, well, (view spoiler)

Still, good story. All you slackers out there, you don't wanna skip this one... ;)

message 6: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oh, I agree, Glynn. It's just that the gimmick, that he would be reckless (?) enough to pinch hit for his younger self, instead of just coaching him, doesn't seem plausible to me. Unless the idea..."

Hi Cheryl. I agree. Didn't seem plausible to me either but I guess there wouldn't be a story otherwise. As to your other question ("is he truly happier..."), I was curious about that too. I cheated and read the other story in this anthology ("Twenty One, Counting Up") and I think it answers that question! :)

message 7: by Samantha (last edited Jul 07, 2015 07:12PM) (new)

Samantha Glasser | 208 comments The amount of bandname-dropping felt kind of contrived and excessive. It reminds me of some of the stuff my friends and I would write in high school, assuming that the reader would have the same emotional connections to the music as we did.

In spite of that I liked the story. The idea of going back and reliving a wonderful part of your life is intriguing and something I think about occasionally. What would I do differently or savor over again about my own relationship? In what waye would my husband and I not gel if my 28 year old self went back to interact with his 18 year old self? The bits about the Rolling Stones still touring and the South Park reference made me laugh. I know that now If get annoyed at my husband's constant quoting of Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.