Children's Books discussion

National Velvet
This topic is about National Velvet

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Is this book really a must read for horse lovers? Is it worth the read? Did you like it better than Black Beauty or similar books?

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Hollingworth (annhollingworth) | 21 comments I loved National Velvet even more than Black Beauty. My parents read Black Beauty to me, but I read National Velvet to myself when I was older. It's about a race horse (steeplechase), so a more mature horse topic. More about the relationship between the horse and rider, as I recall. The word passion comes to mind, but then I was a horse nut.

message 3: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6175 comments Mod
I never read National Velvet, but I loved, and still enjoy and appreciate, all the horsey historical fiction by Marguerite Henry. Especially King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian and Justin Morgan Had a Horse... I learned so much by making friends with her characters and getting lost in the worlds she wrote about.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Hollingworth (annhollingworth) | 21 comments Cheryl wrote: "I never read National Velvet, but I loved, and still enjoy and appreciate, all the horsey historical fiction by Marguerite Henry. Especially King of the Wind: Th..."</i>

Oh, yes, and [book:Misty of Chincoteague
! Loved those books, too!

message 5: by Babette (new)

Babette | 5 comments The Fetlocks Hall Series , 4 Harry Potter like pony books won Blue Peter Book of the month and are published by Bloomsbury. There are four novels in the series . Must haves for 8-10 year olds and good reading for anyone who loves horses

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily I am fond of the Flambards series by K.M. Peyton. As a child, I greatly enjoyed pony books by Jean Slaughter Doty, but they haven't stood up well to adult rereadings.

message 7: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 7025 comments Mod
I love the Misty of Chincoteague series by Marguerite Henry, that is to say that I loved the first three books, Misty of Chincoteague, Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague and Stormy, Misty's Foal, I really did not enjoy the forth book Misty's Twilight at all (does not capture the magic of the previous three books, and the family portrayed is annoying and makes some rather boneheaded decisions with regard to Twilight).

And I agree with Cheryl, King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian is superb, as is White Stallion of Lipizza.

I have not read National Velvet, but since I did not like the movie all that much, I probably would not enjoy the book either.

Black Beauty is excellent, but also in many ways troubling and devastating (but for all the horror Beauty experiences, not only is there a rather happy end for him, but also and perhaps even more importantly is the historical significance of this book, the fact that Black Beauty, that Anna Sewell's passionate plea against especially the mistreatment and often downright torture of cart horses in particular, had a real and lasting effect on the way horses were approached and treated).

message 8: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 7025 comments Mod
This book I think won the Carnegie Medal in 1941, the British equivalent of the Newbery Award, We Couldn't Leave Dinah (about WWII and the fact that the Channel Islands were being invaded by the Germans). I have not had the chance to read this, but it looks appealing.

Chris Meads | 94 comments I read War Horse by Michael Morpurgo when the movie came out. The book had sad parts especially when the horse was hurt.

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Emily wrote: "I am fond of the Flambards series by K.M. Peyton."

Have you read the fourth book Flambards Divided? I remember being upset at the time when I read it in my early twenties as I felt it spoiled the ending of the original trilogy but I'd be interested to read them all again now and see if I felt the same.

message 11: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2275 comments Mod
I read National Velvet many years ago when I was a teen or young adult. So I only remember that I liked the book while I was reading it; unfortunately, I remember the movie and TV show better than the book now.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Sorry, Ruth, didn't see your question until now. I read Flambards Divided when it first came out, and found it quite disillusioning, although I can see that in many ways it's a more realistic finish to the series (view spoiler). I've never reread it.