2017 Reading Challenge discussion

15/A nonfiction book > Dr. Mutter's Marvels

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (ajmkendrick) | 13 comments Comparative to human history, it was not long ago that doctors performed surgery without anesthesia, that they thought women were considered less intelligent because their heads (and thus brains) were smaller than a mans', and that cleaning themselves and surgical tools seemed unnecessary.

As much as I dislike doctors for the exorbitant prices they charge just to see me for ten minutes and prescribe a drug, reading Dr. Mutter's Marvels still reminds me that I am so fortunate to be living at a time where we have made many medical advances. While diagnosing problems still seems to be a slow and expensive game of elimination, it could be worse, I could be awake as the doctor cuts off my arm or even while a dentist pulls my tooth.

In addition to the profound gratitude I have discovered, I also learned about a fantastic doctor who challenged the normally held fallacies of the day. A doctor who wasn't afraid to try new things even though the medical community as a whole scoffed at them. Dr. Thomas Mutter proved that it doesn't take a god-like ego to make medical advances, but rather it took a man with deep curiosity, humility, and compassion for others suffering. In his case it took someone who understood suffering personally.

Dr. Mutter's Marvels was a fascinating read. I recommend it for those who enjoy 19th century history, medical history, biographies, and for anyone just looking for something different.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) I read a book not too long ago that said Oliver Wendell Holmes was one of the first American doctors to say that doctors were partially responsible for the spreading of disease from patient to patient. He was one of the early promoters of hand-washing for healthcare workers.

message 3: by Page (new)

Page (victriviaqueen) | 47 comments ooH! That looks like it is a book I'd enjoy! Thanks for sharing :)

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (ajmkendrick) | 13 comments You're welcome! I really enjoyed it. To think about how medicine and surgery used to be can make you cringe a little (or a lot) but it was a fascinating book.