Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > The campaign to find the world's favo(u)rite Agatha Christie novel!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just found this article on the Guardian website: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

According to the article, David Suchet is plumping for The ABC Murders. Author Val McDermid is rooting for Murder at the Vicarage. Sophie Hannah is rooting for After the Funeral. Kate Mosse chose Sleeping Murder. David Baddiel is rooting for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Christopher Biggins chose Death on the Nile. Agatha Christie herself, in a letter to a Japanese fan in 1972, had said that Endless Night was “my own favourite at present”.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4565 comments Mod
I think according to what people in our group have said And Then There Were None: A Mystery Play in Three Acts is the favorite or at least the most read.

message 3: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Endless Night & Crooked House I heard are among the books Agatha Christie was most proud of and were her favourites.

Fascinating article, love it! I read that one of the favourites is "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." (Speaking generally)

I myself couldn't pick a favourite. They're all my favourites *sighs*

message 4: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Though in saying that I did vote for Murder on The Orient Express. It was one of the first Poirot novels I read and it moved me so much. The little grey cells :(

message 5: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments I'd love to hear about all your favourites:)

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Brooklyn wrote: "Endless Night & Crooked House I heard are among the books Agatha Christie was most proud of and were her favourites.

Fascinating article, love it! I read that one of the favourites is "The Murder..."

Personally, I can't stand Roger Ackroyd. (view spoiler)

I'd probably pick The Secret Adversary

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2782 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I think according to what people in our group have said And Then There Were None: A Mystery Play in Three Acts is the favorite or at least the most read."

And Then There Were None is definitely my favorite.

message 8: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Awesome :) I'm so excited to read it, it's up next in my Agatha Christie book pile. My mum read it recently, she loved it :)

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments This is a hard choice. "And Then There were None" was the first Christie I ever read and the one I have probably re-read the most often...but I also love "Funerals are Fatal." I agree, I was never all that fond of Roger Ackroyd, and for some reason I didn't like "Murder is Easy" either.

message 10: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Hoping to add these titles to my collection, while they aren't in the preferred cover artwork, they're still old fashioned paper backs which I love:

- ABC Murders
- Mysterious Affair at Styles
- Elephants Can Remember
- 4:50 From Paddington

Here's hoping my favourite book store still has them :)

message 11: by LobsterQuadrille (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 668 comments It's hard to choose, but two of my favorites are "N & M" and "And Then There Were None".

message 12: by Omar (new)

Omar (syntech) | 10 comments Mostly Nemeses and the Big Four

message 13: by Pankaj (new)

Pankaj Goyal (pgalmora) | 10 comments For me, it will always be 'And Then There Were None'

message 14: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments That's definitely in my favourite list too :)

Gone With The Wind  (brave811) Croocked House

Ordeal By Innocence

And Then There Were None

message 16: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Crooked House is one of my favourites too! It's an amazing book that I look forward to re reading many times :D

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 129 comments Hercule Poirot's Christmas is probably my favourite poirot, closely followed by Mrs McGinty's Dead, and Cards on the Table.

A Murder Is announced is my favourite Miss Marple, closely followed by The Moving Finger

Toeards Zero is another favourite.

message 18: by Kazi (new)

Kazi Raquibul Islam (raquib) | 1 comments My top 3:

1. Murder On The Orient Express.
2. And Then There Were None.
3. The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd.

message 19: by Mildred (new)

Mildred | 5 comments My favourite books written by Agatha Christie are Five little pigs and Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

message 20: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments My favourite novels featuring Poirot are Curtain, Murder on The Orient Express, Death on The Nile, Elephants Can Remember & The Mysterious Affair at Styles. Oh, and Halloween Party, which I'm going to re read soon :) I love them all though, especially looking forward to re reading Hercule Poirot's Christmas at Christmas time :)

message 21: by MCT (new)

MCT (mctb) | 3 comments I love Cards on the Table. It is a deeply psychological and intellectual mystery.

message 22: by MCT (last edited Dec 07, 2015 11:22AM) (new)

MCT (mctb) | 3 comments Brooklyn wrote: "Endless Night & Crooked House I heard are among the books Agatha Christie was most proud of and were her favourites.

Fascinating article, love it! I read that one of the favourites is "The Murder..."

Crooked House left me thinking that perhaps the real murderer got away by putting the blame on the (view spoiler)

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin Green | 45 comments My favourites are:

1: And then there were none
2: After the funeral (funerals are fatal)
3: Dumb witness

message 24: by Jayden (new)

Jayden | 2 comments my fav christie is five little pigs.Defining poirot moment.

message 25: by Edward (new)

Edward Turbeville (edward_turbeville) | 17 comments I've always found And Then There Were None very depressing. It's incredibly clever, but doesn't leave me feeling very uplifted.

In terms of enjoyment and re-reading factor, I've always found the "mystery adventure" novels most entertaining, specifically The Man in the Brown Suit and They Came to Baghdad. And to a slightly lesser extent, Destination Unknown.

Of the more conventional murder mysteries, I love Nemesis and Sleeping Murder. I suppose both of those are rather "murder-in-the-past" in theme, which Christie does a lot of.

Of the "murder-in-the-present" ones, I particularly like 4.50 From Paddington, The Pale Horse and Cat Among the Pigeons.

I also have a fondness for the Tommy & Tuppence ones, particularly the later ones, though Christie deserved more editorial support with the last couple.

message 26: by Nouf (new)

Nouf (noufis) | 71 comments ABC Murders is definitely my favorite so far, I also liked Sad Cypress & The Thirteen Problems a lot.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Edward wrote: "I've always found And Then There Were None very depressing. It's incredibly clever, but doesn't leave me feeling very uplifted.

In terms of enjoyment and re-reading factor, I've always found the ..."

Edward, I totally agree with you regarding And Then There Were None. I know it's a favourite of a lot of Agatha Christie fans, and it is very clever, but I just don't like it. I too found it very depressing, and it is one Christie I have no plans to reread!

Our tastes must be similar. I love The Man in the Brown Suit--it's in my top five--and Cat Among the Pigeons and have reread both of those many times.

message 28: by Candy (new)

Candy | 11 comments I have always loved And Then There Were None. It was the first book I read for fun; not a book report (around 13). My other favorites are Murder On The Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, 4:50 to Paddington, A Murder is Announced, The A.B.C. Murders and The Murder at the Vicarage.

message 29: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 38 comments My favourite used to be and probably still is Cards on the Table, it's got the classic Cluedo vibe to it, not to mention the introduction of the irrepressible Mrs Oliver.

Five Little Pigs has also always been impactful to me, especially with the excellent TV adaptation.

message 30: by Edward (new)

Edward Turbeville (edward_turbeville) | 17 comments Sarah wrote: "Our tastes must be similar. I love The Man in the Brown Suit--it's in my top five--and Cat Among the Pigeons and have reread both of those many times. "

Sarah - have you seen the film of The Man in the Brown Suit? While they changed quite a few details and I don't find Stephanie Zimbalist quite young enough for Anne (she looks older than The Man in the Brown Suit/Simon Dutton, though perhaps that shouldn't matter) it has very much of the spirit of Christie's novel.

Best of all: the wonderful Rue McClanahan (Blanche from The Golden Girls) as Mrs Blair. She is quite perfect. For a TV movie, there's also some decent money been spent, in terms of filming locations. While the start has been considerably abridged - we don't get Anne's early days in England and London, instead she starts on an overseas holiday - the filming locations are varied and well chosen. Apparently they are all in Spain, but they feel convincingly like Egypt and various other places in the novel/script.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Edward wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Our tastes must be similar. I love The Man in the Brown Suit--it's in my top five--and Cat Among the Pigeons and have reread both of those many times. "

Sarah - have you seen the fil..."

No, I haven't seen it but a young friend of mine who is a non-reader has seen it a few times and loved it. I'll have to watch it now that I've had your recommendation as well.

I persuaded my friend to borrow the book The Man in the Brown Suit from the library, and I'll be interested to hear if she likes the book version. (She reads 1 or 2 books per year, at the most.)