CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2015 Weekly Threads > Week 17: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Just a quick check in this week. Share what you're reading, and if there's anything in particular you're loving right now!

Here's mine:
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker Marvel Masterworks Daredevil Volume 8 by Marvel Comics

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments I finished listening to The Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. I finished Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman, and loved it. I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and just checked out Fragile Things to listen to, also by Neil Gaiman (read by the author).
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman Fragile Things Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) I'm going to brag for a second, but Neil Gaiman answered my question during #askneil on Twitter today! https://twitter.com/neilhimself/statu...

message 4: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
Finishing up Alienated by Melissa Landers... working on The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly and The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly Alienated (Alienated, #1) by Melissa Landers The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

So many more on Mt. Toberead...
Dissonance (Dissonance, #1) by Erica O'Rourke The Walled City by Ryan Graudin Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #2) by Anne Blankman

message 5: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha The Troop by Nick Cutter The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly Just finished The Great Zoo of China and now starting The Troop by Nick Cutter!

message 6: by J (new)

I'm having such a hard time getting into the Great Zoo of China Jodie - does it pick up and get better anytime soon?

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Liz wrote: "I'm going to brag for a second, but Neil Gaiman answered my question during #askneil on Twitter today! https://twitter.com/neilhimself/statu..."

That is absolutely brag worthy, so cool!

message 8: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha Jennifer wrote: "I'm having such a hard time getting into the Great Zoo of China Jodie - does it pick up and get better anytime soon?"

Are they in the zoo yet? If not, read on! If so, keep reading! Once they get in the zoo, something happens--and the action doesn't stop until the end!

message 9: by J (last edited Apr 29, 2015 12:14PM) (new)

Jodie wrote: "Are they in the zoo yet? If not, read on! If so, keep reading..."

They are in the revolving restaurant...CJ just asked them her one question... I will keep reading... Thanks Jodie!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane (dilarm) | 7 comments Julie
That is so very exciting! I remember when Augusten Burroughs replied via email to a compliment I gave him!!! I felt so honored. Plus realized authors are real people too.
Great for you!

message 11: by J (new)

JODIE! - I'm so glad I kept reading.... can you believe I was only like 10-20 pages away from something happening... YAY I'm so excited now.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Diane it was actually Liz who got her question answered (see further up) but i think it's really fun that she did!

message 13: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I've been behind on my reading due to helping get ready for teacher appreciation week. Gotta get back on the horse!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments That is really cool. I think I'm going to have to join Twitter (not for that, lots of my friends are on Twitter and I seem to be missing a lot of interesting conversations.
I'm still listening to Fragile Things, but I might have to go back and read it when I finish American Gods. I've been listening to it during my whirlwind move, and while his voice is very nice to listen to, I found myself missing sections of the stories, and not always knowing when one story ended and the next began. My favorite is the poem "When the Saucers Came".

message 15: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha Jennifer wrote: "JODIE! - I'm so glad I kept reading.... can you believe I was only like 10-20 pages away from something happening... YAY I'm so excited now."

I told you! :) Once it starts, it keeps on going!! I think it would make a good movie!

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Glad to see so much discussion this week! Sorry to have been so absent at the end of the week. I got a bit of a cold and then slept a lot to recover.

I, too, have been wanting to read The Great Zoo of China. More for the to-be-read list!