UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > SpaSpa Awards 2014 - The Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments It's almost time for the 2014 SpaSpa (Self-Published and Small Press authors) awards.

First, I need a definitive list of decent indie titles published in 2014.

Please take a look at the list below and:
a) check all your favourite indie titles of 2014 are on there
b) tell me if any of the items listed do not qualify
c) confirm eligibility of books you know
d) show love for books you've read and enjoyed

http://bookhippo.uk/awards/list2014.php

Many thanks. And many thanks to UKAKF for allowing me to post this. Would you like a complementary banner?

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments I added one to the list that wasn't mine!

Can I have a complementary banner?

message 3: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Ha ha! No, but if you ask nicely, perhaps Patti will let you have a pixel of theirs?

message 4: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments I've just joined Bookhippo as an author and given up on it already. It keeps losing my books; attributing books to me that don't remotely have the same author name, my photo keeps disappearing from my profile. My profile says I haven't listed any books, yet search for me by name and the books links are all there!

Is it just me, or is this site in serious need of a more efficient interface?

message 5: by Rosen (last edited Apr 27, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Hi Pete,

Perhaps if you address your issues in a private email to crew@bookHippo.uk, we'll be able to help you, and in turn you will be able to help us improve our interface.

Rosen

message 6: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Rosen wrote: "Hi Pete,

Perhaps if you address your issues in a private email to crew@bookHippo.uk, we'll be able to help you, and in turn you will be able to help us improve our interface.

Rosen"

Okay - I'll let them know.
However, a red warning under the 'Editor' profile said that if I haven't got a professional editor in tow, I won't get a look-in anyway. How many indies can afford to employ PROFESSIONAL editors, as opposed to a group of very critical friends? (see my Review on a Clive Cussler novel to see what I think of professional editors! www.goodreads.com/book/show/10783577-...)

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments A fellow indie and I edit for one another and that's accepted. I've also found any issues I email about (very few) are sorted straight away.

message 8: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Kath wrote: "A fellow indie and I edit for one another and that's accepted. I've also found any issues I email about (very few) are sorted straight away."

Thanks Kath - I've emailed my problems to the crew. I have two more or less permanent editors for my books, both friends - so if I put them down, that should be ok? Or is it because they know and trust you?

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Haha! Anyone who knows me doesn't trust me! Ask the Hippo.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Just a question, I assume a small publisher like Safkhet rules out a book being indie?

message 11: by Rosen (last edited Apr 27, 2015 01:44PM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Kath is quite correct. There are many ways to get a professional quality edit without paying through the nose. I am happy to accept edit-swaps between reputable authors.

Whether or not to pay for a professional edit (or solicit an edit swap) is the choice of the individual. However, it is not fair on those authors who get their work edited, if those who don't, expect the same opportunities.

Groups of critical friends can provide superb feedback, but when I compile the newsletter every morning, I have no idea who has talented, helpful friends, and who doesn't.

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Rosen wrote: "Whether or not to pay for a professional edit (or solicit an edit swap) is the choice of the individual. However, it is not fair on those authors who get their work edited, if those who don't, expect the same opportunities."

Having given up on a few 'unedited' indie books, I can understand and endorse that. Perhaps the website could contain a little bit of advice on the matter - I found the blunt statement off-putting.

message 13: by Rosen (last edited Apr 27, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Pete wrote: "Rosen wrote: "Whether or not to pay for a professional edit (or solicit an edit swap) is the choice of the individual. However, it is not fair on those authors who get their work edited, if those w..."

It's supposed to be off putting. But I'm happy for it to be circulated among this forum that the editor requirement is not a hard and fast rule. The support authors get on here tends to raise the quality compared to books written by authors who work alone.

message 14: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Gone through the list and clicked all the ones I know.

message 15: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Thank you.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Jim wrote: "Just a question, I assume a small publisher like Safkhet rules out a book being indie?"

There's a 20 author limit on publisher size, so if your publisher fits in with that, you're good to go. :)

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It's a job to know, isn't it? I tried to see how many Black Dot Publishing has but I've no idea how to tell from their website.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I just looked on the Safkhet site under "our Authors", and they list 13.

message 19: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Defining a cut-off point for small publishers is really difficult, isn't it?

The trad/indie distinction has become blurred.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Ah well, I'll go with it then :-)

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments When I got there I discovered several other people already agreed with me :-)

message 22: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Later today, I shall be removing from consideration the books with the least reviews from each category. Books that have been confirmed by UKAKF members will be immune to the sweep.

Many thanks for your help.

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments That's a relief - the few reviews that I do get, Amazon seems to delete :(

(and yet, something objectionable turns up and they refuse to do anything about it!)

message 24: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I've now created relegation zones.

If a book is in the relegation zone for its category when I do my next sweep, it will be removed.

You can save a book by either confirming its details or expressing love for it (the heart button).

Thank you for all your help.

message 25: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Sorry Roz, I've just entered Broken Truce under Sci-fi before noticing that someone (THANK YOU!!!!) had already entered it under Action/Adventure! :/

Sorry about that.

Also for some reason it's telling me that the Severance's ASIN doesn't exist. I've made sure it matches the one on its Amazon page but it just doesn't like it. What have I done wrong??? Sorry to be a pest! :/

message 26: by Rosen (last edited May 02, 2015 05:17AM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Which category should Broken Truce and Severance be in?

I've added Severance.

message 27: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Action adventure is right for Broken Truce, Severance should be in Sci-Fi.

Thank you!!! ;-)

message 28: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Sorted.

message 29: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Rosen wrote: "Sorted."

Thank you!!!

message 30: by D.D. Chant (last edited May 04, 2015 09:19AM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Hi Roz, when is the submission deadline??? Just wondering how long I have to submit The Vow.

*Edited

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It was published in 2012 so it's not eligible, D D. They have to be 2014 publications, I believe.

message 32: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Sorry, wrong book!!! I meant The Vow, next book in the series!

My brain seems to be fried!!!

message 33: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Sorry but I can't take any more submissions now.

message 34: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments After many days of work, I've cut the data down again.

Because there were thousands of books, I've had to use bots to apply exclusion criteria.

I'm afraid that making decisions based on statistics such as ratings, is bound to result in some truly wonderful books getting dropped, but there really was no fairer, efficient way to do it.

The updated list can be found here.

However, it still needs work. Please continue to confirm/report/love.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Thanks for the reminder

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Well, that was nice to look through with a lazy cup of coffee.

I don't envy you all this work, Rosen. You deserve a huge reward for your tireless efforts in helping the indie community.

I do hope the thanks you receive far outweigh the complaints.

I'll just pop a link in the morning thread.

message 37: by Rosen (last edited May 10, 2015 05:04AM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Thanks Patti. The long lists are beginning to take shape.

Perhaps UKAKF members who are still on the lists would like to save me some work by (double) checking the others in their categories?

e.g. David Leadbeater (Action & Adventure), Will Macmillan Jones and Carl Ashmore (Children's Fiction), Rachel Abbott, John A. A. Logan and Lynda Wilcox (Crime, Thrillers & Mystery | Stand Alone), B.A. Morton (Crime, Thrillers & Mystery | Books From a Series), David Staniforth and Nav Logan (Fantasy), Darren Humphries (Historical), David Haynes (Horror), Matthew Drzymala and Jonathan Hill (Humour), Matt, Jonathan and David S (Psychological), Anna Faversham and Julie McLaren (Romance), Robert Bryndza (Romantic Comedy), Jim Webster and Michael Brookes (Science Fiction), Tim Arnot (Young Adult).

(Kath, Joo and David W have put in a ton of work already.)

Also, at some point, authors with more than one book in a single category, will need to choose their champion.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah, noticed a lot of repeat authors in some categories. Some prolific authors out there!

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I've offered to help out for compiling 12 drabbles from 2014 for a drabbles section. If you'd like to help compile the short list then review the drabbles here:

http://bookhippo.uk/drabbles_2014.php

Then send me your favourite 12 (or fewer if you wish) via private message.

A big thanks to Rosen for putting this together!

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Rosen wrote: "Thanks Patti. The long lists are beginning to take shape.

Perhaps UKAKF members who are still on the lists would like to save me some work by (double) checking the others in their categories?

e.g..."

I've copied a list of the books, but I've been on the road and will be again, so I'll not have access to a computer much until the weekend

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Done - and thanks for taking on the task of collating these lists. I hope people find the time to do this.

message 42: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Thank you all for your help.

message 43: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Here is the provisional longlist (drabbles on the way).

http://bookhippo.uk/awards/longList20...

Please don't promote it just yet. But do let me know if you find any errors, and click the 'heart' next to any that you think deserve to win.

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Sorry I never got a chance to go through the SF, it's been a bit manic here :-(

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Rosen wrote: "Here is the provisional longlist (drabbles on the way).

Please don't promote it just yet. But do let me know if you find any errors, and click the 'hea..."

I get a bunch of SQL errors when I load the page:

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /web/bookhippo/webroot/awards/longList2014.php on line 154

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Michael wrote: "Rosen wrote: "Here is the provisional longlist (drabbles on the way).

Please don't promote it just yet. But do let me know if you find any errors, and ..."

And they went away when I logged in.

message 47: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Thanks for letting me know Michael. It would have been embarrassing if I'd sent out all the notifications with it broken!

message 48: by Rosen (new)

message 49: by M.T. (last edited May 19, 2015 05:08AM) (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7778 comments Wow, well done and apologies for my complete lack of input this year. I have been living under a rock. ;-)

Cheers

MTM

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Woo hoo - I have a book listed :-)

« previous 1 3