Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > Looking to promote your work for free?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 3 comments Kindle Owl is an email newsletter service which sends subscribers daily emails with eBook deals tailored to their personal reading tastes. We are currently selecting authors to promote via the newsletter. To promote your book in the coming week, please visit http://www.kindleowl.com

Thanks!

message 2: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments I've moved this to the marketing folder. For those who haven't checked the link, the newsletter advertises free and discounted titles, so it's aimed at readers who don't like paying for books. Whether that's good for authors is another matter...

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 3 comments Hi Steph,

"Whether that's good for authors is another matter..."

Could you explain more about that comment?

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Alex wrote: "Hi Steph,

"Whether that's good for authors is another matter..."

Could you explain more about that comment?"

Free books don't tend to result in actual sales these days, like they used to. And in terms of getting your name out there, a lot of people just grab up all the free books they can see and don't get around to reading them. I think the days of free books helping an author's other sales and his/her name are gone.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Spot on, Ross and Steph! ;) I might use it when I do a temporary discount, though - in fact I've bookmarked it for when I have a sale... (note: sale, not free books!)

message 6: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Alex wrote: "...Could you explain more about that comment?"

It's as Ross and Barbara say above. Also, with websites / newsletters that only feature free or discounted books, it's hard to see how that can translate into more full-price sales. But I'm happy to read any counter-arguments!