Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

An Old-Fashioned Love Song (Woodshed, #1)
This topic is about An Old-Fashioned Love Song
Archive (Buddy Reads) > May Buddy Read- An Old-Fashioned Love Song

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2015 09:15AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments For our May m/m buddy read we will be reading An Old-Fashioned Love Song by Michelle K. Grant.

This ebook is free and can be found in the Love's Landscapes Anthology Volume 11.

You can pick this Anthology up for free from Allromance.com -

https://www.allromanceebooks.com/prod...

Please join us!!

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments Looking forward to May - as long as I finish up my books for April!!

message 3: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments I finished this one today and overall enjoyed it. I really liked the parts that dealt with the family and neighbor. And the parts that were more about the relationship, not just the BDSM. (view spoiler)

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments And on that note, since the M&G has sign ups open, do we want to start thinking about our June and July books? =D

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments I'll download this one today :)

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments MountainKat wrote: "And on that note, since the M&G has sign ups open, do we want to start thinking about our June and July books? =D"

Good idea - I just need to sort out my pick list ;)

message 7: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments MountainKat wrote: "I finished this one today and overall enjoyed it. I really liked the parts that dealt with the family and neighbor. And the parts that were more about the relationship, not just the BDSM. [spoil..."

Once again I forgot to come here when I finished a few days ago...

I agree with you, Kat (big surprise), especially your spoiler comment - that's exactly how I felt about it. I loved the family, they were great, and I loved the relationship between the MCs for the most part. I've never been a huge fan of BDSM, I've read some that I really enjoyed, but for the most part it's just not my thing, especially when it gets into the more extreme end of the spectrum. I'll be glad when the BDSM craze fades a bit and the next new "taboo" grabs people's interest!

I hope now that I've been done with the book for a few days, Three Dog Night will finally vacate my brain! As much as I love the song, it's getting old! =P

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments I am usually ok with BDSM, but occasionally it pushes me too far. I can understand some of it, but not so much the pain part of it. Perhaps because I deal with chronic pain - who knows.

But I really don't understand the Three Dog Night comment... I have a vague recollection of you mentioning something, but I'm stumped!

message 9: by Breann (last edited May 07, 2015 08:13PM) (new)

Breann | 0 comments OMG, where have I been? I totally forgot last month :/ But I want to get to this one, I think I'll like it. Bring on the PAIN.

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments I'm not sure if I will be able to get to this one this month :(

I'm going to try, but real life is getting in my way.

Any ideas for the next few months?

message 11: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments MountainKat wrote: "But I really don't understand the Three Dog Night comment... I have a vague recollection of you mentioning something, but I'm stumped!"

Sorry, I missed your comment completely earlier. One of my favorite Three Dog Night songs back in the day was Old Fashioned Love Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7zb...

(this isn't as good as the version that was released as a single, but I'm guessing you'll recognize it...)

message 12: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments As soon as you said it that way - I recognized it Karen! for some reason in the other context it just didn't click... Seriously wonder how my brain works sometimes!!

And sorry about real life Fran, I hope things are well and just busy!

I would love to get some books selected for the next couple of months! I don't really have anything on my radar, so I am open to suggestions if some of you do.

message 13: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments I don't really have anything suitable on my radar (as usual) but just to get things rolling, there were a few suggestions back in March that we didn't pick and I don't think any of us have read yet:

The Lonely Drop
Treasure
The Court of Lightning

I'd be ok reading any of those, although none of them really reached out and grabbed me so if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be happy with more choices!

message 14: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments Out of those, the only one that caught my eye was The Lonely Drop.

I just did a pass through some of the tweet away books I have and these all looked OK to me too:

Catch My Breath by M.J. O'Shea
The Gig by Kim Fielding
Frankie & Al by Sue Brown
Hot Mess by Rowan McAllister
Beggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick
His Soul to Take by C.M. Torrens
Going Up by Amy Lane
The Buyout by Bru Baker
Slide by Garrett Leigh
Something in the Way He Needs by Cardeno C.
A Still, Small Voice by D.W. March well
When One Door Opens by J.D. Ruskin
Wood, Screws, & Nails by Piper Vaugh and Kade Boehme
Indie Radio 113.9 by Saura Underscore
The Isle of... Where? by Sue Brown
Masters & Boyd by S.J.D. Perterson
The Once and Future Love by Ari McCay
Patient Privilege by Allison Cassatta

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments I've read a few of those Kat - but I know I haven't read:

The Lonely Drop
Frankie & Al
Hot Mess
Beggars & Choosers
The Buyout
Slide - missed that one
Something in the Way He Needs
A Still Small Voice
When One Door Opens - not sure I picked up this one
Woods Screws & Nails - nor this one
Indie Radio
The Isle of Where
Masters & Boyd - don't have this one
The Once & Future Love
Patient Privilege

I think the ones I am missing were when I missed the code...

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments I've read Indie Radio, but other than that I'm ok with any of them.

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 18, 2015 08:12AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments I've read Wood, Screw & Nails.

I'd be interested in-

The Lonely Drop
Frankie & Al
The Once and Future Love
Masters & Boyd

But fine with others on the list if you guys want to choose something else :)

message 18: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments Fran wrote: "I've read Wood, Screw & Nails.

I'd be interested in-

The Lonely Drop
Frankie & Al
The Once and Future Love
Masters & Boyd

But fine..."

Jane doesn't have Masters & Boyd, so let's take that one out of the running. Of the other three, I don't really have any preference so unless someone else does, do we want to just go with the two highest ratings? That would be The Lonely Drop and The Once and Future Love...also coincidentally the two shortest! :D

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments I'm good with those two :)

message 20: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments For future reference (and future months), Master's & Boyd is available as part of this downloadable anthology: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments Karen, thanks for that! I actually have that anthology in my Allromance library. It's free if anyone wants to pick it up.

Here's the list of stories in it....we have some more ideas for future months :)

A SHINY NEW TOY by M.J. O'Shea
THICK AS THIEVES by Brian Jackson
LEAKING PIPES by Deanna Wadsworth
CHRISTMAS IN THE SANDBOX by Missy Welsh
CRYING WOLF by Jade Archer
THE NEW MAN'S ARMY by Michael S.
ROMMY AND JULES by Xara X. Xanakas
THE CONQUERORS by Mark Alders
A WISH FOR JAMIE by Em Woods
PONY UP by Rachel Haimowitz
MASTERS AND BOYD by SJD Peterson
YOU MELTED ME by Kari Gregg
A BUGGER TO PACK by Kim Dare
JUNIPER’S CHRISTMAS STOCKING by A.J. Llewellyn
BOBBY'S CHRISTMAS GIFT by Serena Yates
LAS POSADAS by Ocotillo
LOVE BOUND by Jessica Freely
IN THE CITY OF NEVERLOVE by Heinrich Xin
CHRISTMAS GIFTS by William Cooper
IN THE WIND by Wren Boudreau
THE GUTTERSNIPE’S GIFT by Selah March
A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE by Sarah Madison
HOLIDAY BONUS by Stephani Hecht
COCKLEBUR’S CHRISTMAS by Amy Lane
THE GIFT by Angela Benedetti

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Thanks Fran and Karen :)

I'm happy to go with two next month given they are short...

Hmmm - I've just realised that I don't have The Lonely Drop. Is that All Romance or Dreamspinner?

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Duh! Freebie! Forget about me :)

message 24: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments I think we will be reading those two over the next two months. One each month. Is that right?

message 25: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments Sounds good to me! Yay, we have books so I can add them to the M&G shelf!

message 26: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments OK, do we know which one is for June so I can put it on the PIFM shelf too? =D

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 20, 2015 11:19AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11051 comments How about one thread for both months and both books?

Or we could put them in alphabetical order and The Lonely Drop can be June and The Once and Future Love can be July.

message 28: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

MountainKat | 20295 comments I think alphabetical works easier. For me anyway!

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Thanks Fran :)