Book Club discussion

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
This topic is about Heaven is for Real
Reading Assignment Discussions > Heaven is for Real - April 27 to May 3

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikael, Lowly Founder of Book Club (new) - rated it 1 star

Mikael | 47 comments Mod
Post your thoughts on "Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back" by Todd Burpo here.

message 2: by Amber (last edited Apr 29, 2015 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amber It's interesting to think that there is some sort of afterlife, and this is likely a comforting thought to some as well. Still, I didn't like how Colton turned on his heels and went back to playing each time he delivered some revelation to his dad asking him about heaven, or how the parents seemed incredulous with each new bit of information. I started to feel annoyed with that approach after a while, as though I was being told an endless line of seemingly new knock-knock jokes when in fact I had already been given the punch line.

message 3: by Mikael, Lowly Founder of Book Club (new) - rated it 1 star

Mikael | 47 comments Mod
Amber wrote: "It's interesting to think that there is some sort of afterlife, and this is likely a comforting thought to some as well. Still, I didn't like how Colton turned on his heels and went back to playing..."

Yeah I hated that too. It gets more and more unbelievable how much the parents buy into Colton's talk about heaven. Near the end, every time he says something about it, the dad rips into some ancient bible quotation that is BARELY related to what Colton says. It felt like when kids tell their parents that there's monsters in their closet: most parents will try to sooth their kid and help them build up some resistance to this fear. The parents in this book would call the police and launch a massive investigation into who and what these monsters are up to. Shocking revelation: kids make stuff up.

message 4: by Grant, Usurper of Book Club (last edited Apr 30, 2015 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Grant Crawford | 107 comments Mod
You think the kid made it up? I think the parents made it up. There's that old story about Clever Hans, the horse who could understand and answer questions. The truth was that the horse was just responding to cues from the asker.
To run with the analogy, Mr. Burpo was already predisposed to believing in talking horses, and had taught Burpo jr. all about them. When Mr. Burpo had a nervous breakdown after a bad year he found his talking horse. And kids love rainbows. Burpo.

message 5: by Mikael, Lowly Founder of Book Club (new) - rated it 1 star

Mikael | 47 comments Mod
Grantcrawford wrote: "You think the kid made it up? I think the parents made it up. There's that old story about Clever Hans, the horse who could understand and answer questions. The truth was that the horse was just re..."

I think it's more like both what I said and what you said. I think the kid was saying some vague shit about heaven (cause it seems like that's what this family is all about anyways) and the dad jumped on it cause he was starving for meaning after going through all that crappy stuff with the injuries and bills. I mean, I UNDERSTAND where the dad is coming from, I just think he's trying to sell it a bit too hard. To be clear, I don't think the kid was flat-out making it up/lying, I just think he's a kid and their imaginations run pretty wild sometimes.