2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
This topic is about Breaking Silence
Breaking Silence > Question #13

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments What did you think of Kate's confrontation with Salome at the end of the book? Was the resolution satisfying?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I was astonished at Kate's grit and determination to conduct the interview professionally (meaning she really wanted to get at the truth and to protect the two little brothers). Salome's hubris had to be demonstrated before several witnesses to get to any form of justice in place. It was a well-written confrontation, IMHO.

Kate's determination and commitment to justice, with her personal sympathy for the Amish people, comes through even when she is completely wrung out. She pulls this up from deep within herself.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments It was a very satisfying confrontation. I did worry that Salome would be able to see through Kate's plan, but as a sociopath, she didn't realize that someone else could be smarter than her.

I was amazed at the violence of Salome's reaction though. She was brutal and if Kate had been alone with her things might have gone really badly.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7626 comments Mod
It was a gripping scene. Kate knew that Salome had fooled everyone in that room with the possible exception of Tomasetti. I admired her fortitude in being able to block out everything but her connection to Salome. She was thinking on her feet, using her training and staying focused. I agree, Charlene, that the idea of those two boys going home with this murderous psychopath spurred her on.

There was a point where a sense of calm and resolve took over and she wasn't leaving that room until Salome broke character, or rather showing her true face. Tomasetti felt it, too.

It was a wonderful scene. Loved it.

Lauren, I couldn't understand why all of those men couldn't subdue her! She wasn't that big.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Lauren, I couldn't understand why all of those men couldn't subdue her! She wasn't that big. "

Good question, Jonetta. I think that extreme rage as the effect of giving someone a great deal of strength. Also, the men might have been holding back not wanting to hurt a young girl even though she was going berserk.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I think you must be right about that, Lauren, on both counts.

I think so, too. They probably had a serious delayed reaction, not believing what they were seeing...this angelic child transforming to something else in a nanosecond.

message 8: by Charlene (last edited Jun 13, 2015 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Good imagery, Jonetta.

That angelic child persona must have been cultivated since she was a little girl; perhaps this is the most disturbing thing in hindsight. How young must she have been when she became a true sociopath?

As mother of four and grandmother of five, this gives me the creeps.

message 9: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 25, 2015 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was wondering, too, just when did she begin being so calculating and manipulative. Maybe being the only girl had something to do with it. I regret the author didn't explore this more.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Many psychiatrists believe that sociopaths are born that way. They simply do not have the psychological makeup to empathize with others. It is very creepy *shudder*

Okay, now I'm with both of you....very creepy.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
After hearing the boys talking about her and as the truth came out that girl just creeped me out. Salome is a good candidate for psych evaluations.