Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Sword Art Online, Vol. 01: Aincrad (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #1)
This topic is about Sword Art Online, Vol. 01
Recommendations > Lissa's Favorite Light Novel

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments So my favorite light novel that is currently available in the USA are the Sword Art Online novels. I didn't even start watching the anime until I read the novels. I've read the first two, but I need to start on Fairy Dance, but I can vouch that they are amazing and everyone should give them a read. Perhaps we can read SAO or Fairy Dance as a group?

message 2: by Selena (new) - added it

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1521 comments Mod
Well, SAO is currently a suggestion for a group read. :)

We normally read just the first volume as a group, but you are always welcome to start up buddy reads for later books in the series as well.

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Ah I didn't even see it. But that's a good idea! When I start Fairy Dance I'll probably see if someone wants to read it along with me. Thanks ^_^

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments Have you tried reading Accel World yet? It's the authors next series that takes place in the same world later in the future, it's better then SAO at least until the underworld arc where SAO catches up in quality.

Also do not get burned out on Fairy Dance it's by far the low point of the series, and after you finish it it's a straight line up in quality.

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Aaron wrote: "Have you tried reading Accel World yet? It's the authors next series that takes place in the same world later in the future, it's better then SAO at least until the underworld arc where SAO catche..."

I thought about reading Accel World, but it's not on my list. Perhaps I'll give it a shot, but my list of manga is massive and I decided against adding Accel World onto it. Eventually I'll get to it, but I doubt anytime soon.

Also I've already seen Fairy Dance in the anime. I enjoyed it so I'm sure I'll enjoy the Fairy Dance novels. SAO and Phantom Bullet are indeed better, but Fairy Dance isn't terrible. At least not to me, everyone else seems to hate it haha.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Fair Dance was actually the arch that made a lot of my friends stop watching SAO. I continued through it, but I'll admit that my enjoyment of the anime waned a good deal during it. I don't mind the light novels, though.

Is SAO the only LN that you've read?

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Brandon wrote: "Fair Dance was actually the arch that made a lot of my friends stop watching SAO. I continued through it, but I'll admit that my enjoyment of the anime waned a good deal during it. I don't mind the..."

Haha! I hear that a lot. Honestly, it takes a whoooole lot for me to dislike something. I suppose my biggest issue with Fairy Dance was Asuna. I hated seeing her as this strong, powerful woman and then suddenly she's a helpless fairy princess. Other than that... I can't say I hated it, but I have a very high tolerance level XD

I read the xxxHolic novel xxxHOLiC AnotherHOLiC by CLAMP a long long time ago. It's been a while, but I remember not liking it too much. While I was reading SAO I noticed that the writing in SAO was so much better than the writing in xxxHolic. I can't help but wonder if it was just because of the writers or if times have changed when it's come to light novels haha.

But that's the only other light novel I've read. My sister has two Death Note novels so I might give those a try. If you have any suggestions I'm open for listening. ^_^

message 8: by Selena (new) - added it

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1521 comments Mod
ah, if you don't like Fairy Dance Asuna, avoid SAO Progressive. The manga version took awesome SAO Asuna and ret conned her into this wimpy sex object who barely knows how to play the game without Kirito's help. I would assume the source material's not much better.

It could even be translators with the xxxHolic LN vs the SAO LN. Though, xxxHolic's LN was strange in format compared to other LNs I've read, so it's not for everyone. Also, if you haven't read the rest of the series, the novel can throw you for a loop.

Let's see... good LNs... My personal favorite is the Book Girl series, but I've also really enjoyed Kieli and Spice & Wolf. You might like Log Horizon if you like the trapped in a video game scenario of SAO. I don't know about the LN (yet), but I know I preferred the Log Horizon anime to SAO. Log Horizon's probably the best "trapped in a video game" series I've ever seen, and I was a HUGE .hack// fan back in the day (still am).

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Lissa wrote: "But that's the only other light novel I've read. My sister has two Death Note novels so I might give those a try. If you have any suggestions I'm open for listening. ^_^ "

I think the problem with xxxHolic might have been the translators, though having never read it before, I can't say for sure.

For other light novels, I can recommend my current favorites. A Certain Magical Index is definitely one of my favorites right now. It's a magic versus science story and is really good if you're into intense sci-fi/magical battles. I also like Spice and Wolf, which is about a merchant traveling with a wolf deity named Holo. Um, let's see, I also like Vampire Hunter D and Slayers, which are really old light novels. I'd also recommend Tokyo Ravens, though I don't know if it's been officially translated. It's probably one of the more unique takes of the Magical High School trope.

Other than that, I'd recommend Accel World, which is set in the same world as SAO, but in the future.

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Selena wrote: "ah, if you don't like Fairy Dance Asuna, avoid SAO Progressive. The manga version took awesome SAO Asuna and ret conned her into this wimpy sex object who barely knows how to play the game without ..."

Ahhh really? :( I bought Progressive recently, but I don't plan to start it until I finish Fairy Dance. That's a shame to hear that though.

And xxxHolic happens to be my favorite anime/manga series XD I was excited to read the novel way back when, but when I read it I felt like the characters weren't accurate. They over-exaggerated them far too much.

I'll look into Log Horizon! I've seen it at the bookstore often and never picked it up. I'll give it a shot. ^_^

Brandon wrote: "For other light novels, I can recommend my current favorites. A Certain Magical Index is definitely one of my favorites right now."

Ohhhh I wanted to watch A Certain Magical Index! I forgot there was a light novel to it! I'll definitely look into that one. Actually I remember that I had read one of the Vampire Hunter D novels a long time ago. I recently saw it at a used bookstore so maybe now's a good time to pick it back up. I remember enjoying it ^_^

Is Accel World a light novel? Someone else suggested it, but I wasn't sure if it was a manga or a light novel. Or both haha.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Lissa wrote: "Is Accel World a light novel? Someone else suggested it, but I wasn't sure if it was a manga or a light novel. Or both haha. "

A Certain Magical Index is probably my current favorite light novel series being translated. The anime is pretty good, too, but it doesn't really have the same impact as the LNs.

Accel World is a light novel. It's written by the same person who wrote SAO, Reki Kawahara. It takes place in the same world as SAO, but several decades or so in the future. If you love SAO, then you'll probably enjoy the Accel World LNs as well.

message 12: by Aaron (last edited Apr 28, 2015 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments I havn't read the manga at all, but Progressive book 1 is fine it's mostly just the additional side material(which was all in the anime except for 1 story I believe). If that does happen in the 2nd progressive book I will be pretty mad. Asuna had an aggressive high risk/high reward fighting style heck the books make a big point of pointing out holy crap another person who isn't running a tanky build. Her skills were also reaffirmed in Mother's Rosario to be quite good.

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Brandon wrote: "A Certain Magical Index is probably my current favorite light novel series being translated. The anime is pretty good, too, but it doesn't really have the same impact as the LNs.

Accel World is a light novel."

I'm definitely going to check out A Certain Magical Index. It's been on my list to watch, but I think I would rather read the light novel. I'm excited about it! I can't wait to find it at the store XD I'll look into Accel World as well. I might as well since I like SAO so much.

Also, a long time ago I had read the novel for Final Fantasy XIII. It's on of my favorite games in the series, but only one light novel was released here in USA. I want them all XD

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Lissa wrote: "Also, a long time ago I had read the novel for Final Fantasy XIII. It's on of my favorite games in the series, but only one light novel was released here in USA. I want them all XD "

I didn't know FF had any novels for their series. O_O I feel like I just missed something important.

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Brandon wrote: "Lissa wrote: "Also, a long time ago I had read the novel for Final Fantasy XIII. It's on of my favorite games in the series, but only one light novel was released here in USA. I want them all XD "
..."

Yep! The one that was released here in USA only came with the Best Buy edition of FFXIII-2.

Final Fantasy XIII -Episode i- by Jun Eishima

And there's another one:

Final Fantasy XIII Episode Null - Versprechen by Jun Eishima

This site I believe has the translations of Episode Null and a few other translations as well: Dilly Dally, Shilly Shally

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments I didn't know that. I wonder if I can find this at a local bookstore...

Lissa Valle (lissavalle) | 9 comments Brandon wrote: "I didn't know that. I wonder if I can find this at a local bookstore..."

Maybe! It would probably be a used bookstore. If not I'm sure you can find it somewhere online.

message 18: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker (insectie) | 117 comments I second the recommendation for A Certain Magical Index, my favorite LN.

I've only read volume 1 of Accel World but based on that and the anime it's worth reading.

I haven't actually read SAO, I need to. I watched both seasons of the anime. I wish they spent more time in GGO after they resolved the whole "desu-gun" thing instead of going back to "lets have all Norse mythology, except with excalibur." I wonder if that's in the books or was anime original.

Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Lissa wrote: "Brandon wrote: "I didn't know that. I wonder if I can find this at a local bookstore..."

Maybe! It would probably be a used bookstore. If not I'm sure you can find it somewhere online."

Maybe I'll find it at Bookman's, then... hmm....