Great Expectations Great Expectations question

How do you read this book?
Danielle Danielle (last edited Apr 27, 2015 07:01AM ) Apr 27, 2015 07:01AM
Hi all - I was curious - how did you read this book? Hard copy? Free e-book? Audiobook? You can find Great Expectations and other 700,000 other free classic e-books on the Gutebooks app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

I own a hardback copy which I bought about two years ago, absolutely love this novel (however it's noteworthy to mention the beginning was quite hard to get through)

I read the hardback copy back in 1999 (Freshman year in high school summer read). I think I was the only person in my class who enjoyed it, heck the only one who actually finished it.

deleted member May 05, 2015 10:49PM   0 votes
I listened to the audio book and read along, at times, with a free e-book. I also watched a DVD a few years before which spark my interest to read it. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased a paperback copy to re-read it someday.

I read it in 1996. Hardcopy. Dickens to me uses the same theme over and over - the class separation and the struggle of the lower class. I enjoy his prose, once I get used to it, but I'm not sure how the class dichotomy translates to society today.

A. Umaz Personally, I believe class dichotomy is alive and doing quite well in our society.
May 09, 2015 10:58AM · flag

I read the book in hard copy in 1959 (I was in the 4th grade). The book had a profound effect on me - I became so anxious as I neared the end of the book I began to read it only a few paragraphs at a time. (At that age it took me a great while to read it, so that it actually became a major part of my life's experience at the time. I did not want it to end!) I comforted myself by telling myself I could just read it again. Of course, I tried, but the second time around all the sweetness and anticipation was gone. To this day Estella remains the epitome of the unattainable woman.

I read the paperback version in the 70s and loved it. Charles Dickens was a favourite author in those days. I reread it last year and struggled with it. I now prefer the D.V.D. of it.

Sue Frances I seem to struggle with most classics now, could be my age I suppose. When I was young I studied English Lit. now I like Stephen King. Ha Ha .
May 09, 2015 06:57AM · flag