The Not a Book Club Club discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
Malazan > HoC: General Discussion (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 134 comments Alex wrote: "

I can't wait to read about one of my favourite characters in the series.
"

You like Karsa Orlong? Heh I didn't like that part much, it was more of a separate short story or novella IMHO and didn't fit well with the rest.
That's great with Erikson: so many characters to choose from. To each their own.

Peter | 153 comments Woot! Excited! (:

Dara (cmdrdara) Witness.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This book has the best opening of the series. Which is good, because the next book has the worst opening of the series. IMHO of course..

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Ah yeah!

Excited to get started with this bad boy. Was having some Malazan withdrawals.

Gonna miss my boy Quick Ben, though. Hopefully we get some Fiddler and Kalam at some point

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments I'm in.

message 7: by Teanka (last edited Apr 28, 2015 12:23AM) (new)

Teanka | 134 comments Alex wrote: "Teanka, how far into the series have you read? He re-appears and only solidifies himself as one of my favs each time."

I read only half of it, the first five, plus the prequel, Forge of Darkness.
But I prefer Gardens of the Moon/ Memories of Ice setting and The Deadhouse Gates is for me more irritating than fun (I can't stand Felisin, she's so boring / irritating :) ). Not even Coltaine and the chain of dogs could change that. House of chains was better for me, because there were additional characters and Fiddler.

message 8: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments me me me me. I will probably start tomorrow.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah I'm either starting today or tomorrow depending on when I finish my current read.

Might have to take a break when Apex releases depending on where I am. Find sometimes it's good to break up these Malazan books with something lighter or faster moving

message 10: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Scott wrote: "Yeah I'm either starting today or tomorrow depending on when I finish my current read.

Might have to take a break when Apex releases depending on where I am. Find sometimes it's good to break up ..."

yeah I am still reading through crux but i'll prolly do both in audio while doing HoC in print...assuming Apex audio comes out the same time :|

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

It should mean less reading..or you're doing it wrong..

Not saying that reading while camping is bad..but it should be reserved for downtime between outdoors stuff..

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Most of the camping I've done in the few years (which sadly isn't much anymore) is drink by the fire camping, or what I like call "car camping".

You drive in a few cars full of food, beer and tents and you park them about 15 feet from where you pitch your tent.

But we'd go hiking or swimming or whatever in between meals.

message 13: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Personally I prefer glamping :)

message 14: by Dara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I prefer not camping so I don't have to pee in the woods. :-)

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments West coast camping is basically drinking, surfing, and laughing about how east coasters are all still cold right now. :)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Camping is gross, I never liked it.

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments I have some friends who move out of their house for the whole of May to September every year and rent out their place to vacationers while they stay in their RV at local camping grounds with their 5 kids...not sure I could do that (the long term campground even in an RV or the 5 kids). They end up making about $10 000 every summer though, which they put toward other vacations.

message 18: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I camped in the winter when I was younger. Maybe you west coasters should learn about dressing in layers. :P

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments We do...but usually it is raincoat layer, and sunshirt layer. :)

message 20: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Do we want to start thinking about a start date for Midnight Tides?

message 22: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments :) 3rd week of June? I'll be busy with Liars Key and Nemesis Games starting June 2, then don't have anything till Queen of Fire July 7.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I was thinking of mid June as well with how the group's schedule looked.

message 24: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments cool - mid june, 3rd week, all work for me. Looks like July is going to be busy - Queen of Fire, our next Dagger + Coin, Armada, and Half a War. (And Price of Valour if any of you are doing TSC)...So best gets to it soon!