2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > Books and Music

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) So while you all are reading, do you like to have anything going in the background like music or the tv or do you have to have it super quiet?? I like to have music playing in the background personally. Usually I'll pull up my pandora and put it either on my relaxation station or something classical like two cellos or beethoven.

message 2: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I pop in my earphones and listen to babbling brooks and symphonies mixed together on Spotify. It's so relaxing that I sometimes fall asleep (if I'm on my bed).

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Hmm, I've never heard of babbling brooks, maybe I'll check them out this afternoon. I agree about listening to certain music while reading being so relaxing that you fall asleep. This is how I spend some of my nights now, instead of going out drinking like other people my age I stay in and try to read some :)

message 4: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Hahahaha! That's been my ideal Saturday night throughout my history.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie I like it either super quiet at home or the bustle of a busy coffee shop.

message 6: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Usually, I prefer reading without music. However, for some books, I need a musical background, so I listen movie soundtracks I like.

message 7: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I agree, Zaz, when I was reading the Hunger Games series I listened to The Hanging Tree (sung by Jennifer Lawrence) on repeat the whole way through.

message 8: by Kirin (new)

Kirin I usual like to read in silence, but if a book mentions a song playing during a scene, I'll look it up with my Streamus extension and play it while reading the scene.

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) The Lit Lover wrote: "Hahahaha! That's been my ideal Saturday night throughout my history."

I'd suggest keeping it that way Lit Lover, it's much cheaper and way more relaxing in the long run!

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I don't like quiet. It always drove my mom crazy when I was in school because I did homework with the tv on and couldn't go to sleep without music or tv. I'm still the same way. I usually have the tv on low while reading otherwise my mind wanders to other things.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments I like to have music on in the background when I read, I find it relaxing. I use to have the TV on, but I found when it was on I would start to pay more attention to the shows than the book I was reading, lol.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Charity wrote: "I don't like quiet. It always drove my mom crazy when I was in school because I did homework with the tv on and couldn't go to sleep without music or tv. I'm still the same way. I usually have the ..."

I fall asleep with the tv on too Charity, usually I set it up on a documentary on netflix like ancient aliens :)

Sarah wrote: "I like to have music on in the background when I read, I find it relaxing. I use to have the TV on, but I found when it was on I would start to pay more attention to the shows than the book I was r..."

haha Sarah I do the same thing! I have to be careful with music too because I've noticed that I'll start to sing certain songs too haha.

message 13: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments For a great book with music, read Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover and the accompanying album by Griffin Peterson

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I have a tendency to listen to the Lord of the Rings film soundtracks when I read The Lord of the Rings and I suspect that I'll add The Hobbit soundtracks to that when I reread The Hobbit.

I like instrumentals or gentle, easy-listening type songs (like Norah Jones) which doesn't distract me from what I'm reading.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) I've never actually thought about listening to the soundtracks while I read the books that already have movies...I might have to start doing that!

As for Norah Jones, I love her music but that is more like my bath music because it is SO mellow I often drift away and forget what I'm doing haha

message 16: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (last edited May 06, 2015 07:05AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
I don't usually read and listen to music simultaneously, but I like to come up with soundtracks for my books as if they were movies. Just cause.

message 17: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I sometimes listen to music while I read but it's a bad idea if I do, I always end up daydreaming and going off into my own world when I'm supposed to be reading the book! So I mostly prefer it to be quiet when I'm reading. It doesn't have to be silent, like I'm fine with the noise of other people or if I'm on the bus I can deal with that kind of noise because I find it easier to block out but music I just end up getting carried away listening to it rather than reading.

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Emm wrote: "I dont usually read and listen to music simultaneously, but I like to come up with soundtracks for my books as if they were movies. Just cause."

That sounds awesome Emm! what is the most EPIC soundtrack you've ever made for a book???

message 19: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
Goodness, I'm not sure what the most epic one was. But I was thinking, just for fun, that I might make a soundtrack for the challenge. A song for each book I read that sort of symbolizes my feelings about the book. Maybe I will post it and see if anyone else wants to play along.

message 20: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Emm wrote: "Goodness, I'm not sure what the most epic one was. But I was thinking, just for fun, that I might make a soundtrack for the challenge. A song for each book I read that sort of symbolizes my feeling..."

That's sounds like a great and really fun idea! Maybe you could start a thread on it and people could add to it with songs for the books they've read? Or something like that. It could be a fun side activity for the reading challenge!

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Emm wrote: "Goodness, I'm not sure what the most epic one was. But I was thinking, just for fun, that I might make a soundtrack for the challenge. A song for each book I read that sort of symbolizes my feeling..."

I definitely agree with Francesca! I think it would be a lot of fun.

message 22: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Emm wrote: "I don't usually read and listen to music simultaneously, but I like to come up with soundtracks for my books as if they were movies. Just cause."

I like doing that too! I think it's because it combines my love of books, movies and soundtracks! I find sometimes when I'm listening to music and I listen to a song, in my mind I think 'oh this would go really well with this sort of scene, or that sort of scene'!

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) Emm and Francesca, it is a fabulous idea!

Since I mostly read in public transport, I always listen to music to block out surrounding noises and conversations. I agree with Francesca, sometimes I pay more intention to the music than to the book, but it is better than to listen to girls talking about their boyfriends or what they were wearing last weekend ;)

message 24: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Sophie wrote: "Emm and Francesca, it is a fabulous idea!

Since I mostly read in public transport, I always listen to music to block out surrounding noises and conversations. I agree with Francesca, sometimes I p..."

That's very true! Although sometimes other people's conversations can be pretty entertaining!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) I like to listen to music all of the time even when I read. I do have to be careful sometimes though because if I put on a good old song that I love to sing, I'll catch myself getting distracted by the lyrics

message 26: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Agreed, Lisa. Don't start playing Roar while I'm reading Gone With the Wind, or Scarlett O'Hara will be forgotten under the awesomeness of Katy Perry. :D LOL