Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading April 27?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2090 comments Mod
GM! I'm starting this week with a two NA's- Fall With Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout and For The Win by Amber Garza.

message 2: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments I am still reading Confessions of an Improper Bride by Jennifer Haymore, but should finish it this week,

Has any one read Eloisa James novel 'Duchess by Night'...what are your thoughts? Any good?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I really liked Duchess by Night.
About to read the new Sherry Thomas.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
John wrote: "I am still reading Confessions of an Improper Bride by Jennifer Haymore, but should finish it this week,

Has any one read Eloisa James novel 'Duchess by Night'...what are your thoughts? Any good?..."

Duchess by Night is great! It's one of my favorites in the Duchess series.

message 5: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments I'm back on the Historical bandwagon this week with The Devilish Mr. Danvers by Vivienne Lorret & All's Fair In Love and Scandal by Caroline Linden.

message 6: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Manda wrote: "John wrote: "I am still reading Confessions of an Improper Bride by Jennifer Haymore, but should finish it this week,

Has any one read Eloisa James novel 'Duchess by Night'...what are your though..."

Cheers Manda - it came up as 'related' after I looked at The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer.

message 7: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Dls wrote: "I really liked Duchess by Night.
About to read the new Sherry Thomas."

Thanks Dls...can I be a bit dense...what's the new ST novel called?

message 8: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Phoenix77 wrote: "I'm back on the Historical bandwagon this week with The Devilish Mr. Danvers by Vivienne Lorret & All's Fair In Love and Scandal by Caroline Linden."

Phoenix77 - I like the look of the Caroline Linden book!

message 9: by Manda (new)

Probably has The Masqueraders link because the heroine is dressing like a man.

message 10: by Manda (new)

I finished Simone St. James' The Other Side of Midnight and really enjoyed it. Maybe more mystery than romance, but that was okay for me.

Then I breezed through a mystery I'd had on my Kindle for a few months, Fear the Dark. A couple of years ago I'd glommed Chris Mooney's Darby McCormick series and loved it. There waseven a budding romance that ended on a cliffhanger. Then...he didn't release another book in the series for two and a half YEARS!!! Needless to say I was annoyed. So when this new one came out I was psyched. Good mystery but there was no resolution to the romance and the description of the cliffhanger was quite different than I remembered it. Sigh.

So, I went back to my Kindle stash and picked The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen. What a wonderful book. The heroine was a star hockey player in high school before she suffered a spinal cord injury that left her with no feeling in one foot and her entire left leg. She and the hero are both in the "gimp" dorm at their northeast ivy leaguish college. He's there because of a broken leg that has him off the hockey team temporarily. It's a wonderful, sensitive portrayal of life as a disabled student--and it doesn't shy away from sex or questions of mechanics. And despite all that it's not a sad book. The opposite in fact.

Then I had to continue the series and read The Year We Hid Away, which WAS sad. But so, so good. I can't say too much about the plot because of spoilers but again it's a thoughtful, and ultimately uplifting story. Maybe its a little bit optimistic given the challenges the hero and heroine face, but that's okay with me.

message 11: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I got caught up with Meg Benjamin's Konigsburg series. I was flipping through my TBR books on my Nook and realized I hadn't read the last 3 books in the series. I really enjoyed them. Now I want more! LOL I love MB! Has anyone read her other series - the Ramos Family trilogy?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Manda, I love Chris Mooney especially his Malcolm Fletcher character.

message 13: by Manda (new)

Marnie wrote: "Manda, I love Chris Mooney especially his Malcolm Fletcher character."

Yay, Marnie! You're the first person I know to have also read Chris Mooney! I haven't read the Malcolm Fletcher books yet. I was kind of annoyed that he seemed to be taking time away from Darby for them, to be honest. Which is dumb but I REALLY wanted that romantic arc resolved. But I'll stop being a baby and try the Fletcher books:) Thanks for the rec!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Manda, Fletcher appears in several Darby stories. I can find out the titles if you like.

message 15: by Manda (new)

I remember him, Marnie. But I'll definitely find his solo books now, too!

message 16: by Romanticbookworm (new)

Romanticbookworm | 77 comments I finished up Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi which I loved.

I then read Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi which is the novella between books one and two. I loved this just as much as Shatter Me.

I am now reading Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey. A retelling of Sleeping Beauty.

message 17: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
The new ST is her first contemporary "the one in my heart"

message 18: by Janga (last edited Apr 27, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Irisheyes wrote: "I got caught up with Meg Benjamin's Konigsburg series. I was flipping through my TBR books on my Nook and realized I hadn't read the last 3 books in the series. I really enjoyed them. Now I want..."

Irish, Meg Benjamin's Konigsburg series is one of my all-time favorite contemporary series, and I thought it was marvelously consistent. Hungry Heart, Book 8, got top marks from me. Although I thought the multi-author series she did was uneven, I did like her contribution, Bolted. And I have pre-ordered her June release Finding Mr. Right Now, but I can't get into the Medium books. But then paranormal generally has little appeal for me.

I'm another who really liked Duchess by Night. BTW, I read another chicks-in-pants book last week, Ridiculousand thought it was delightful. For those who like that trope, I recommend it.

I finished Jodi Thomas's One True Heart earlier today and liked it a great deal, particularly Beau Yates's story line. I tried Sherry Thomas's The One In My Heart, but I gave up on it--at least for now. I love her historical romances, but I could not get into this one. Instead, I'm rereading Rose Lerner's In For a Penny, which Samhain is reissuing in June.

message 19: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Janga who wrote Ridiculous ?

message 20: by Manda (new)

In For a Penny is such a charming book. I'm glad it's bein re-released. Hope that gives it some fanfare.

message 21: by Janga (new)

Dls wrote: "Janga who wrote Ridiculous ?"

D. L. Carter, Deb--not a writer with whom I was familiar, but someone recommended it in Anne Gracie's first post about chicks-in-pants books at Word Wenches.

message 22: by Janga (new)

Manda wrote: "In For a Penny is such a charming book. I'm glad it's bein re-released. Hope that gives it some fanfare."

I hope so too, Manda. She is such a terrific writer. Her last couple of books have garnered more attention than her early books, so I think more people will be looking for this release. You were the one who recommended her to me shortly after In for a Penny was released the first time.

message 23: by Manda (new)

I hadn't realized that, Janga. I just remember reading In for a Penny for the first time and falling in love with her voice. If there is a line of succession from Mary Balogh, Rose Lerner is on it.

message 24: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I loved In for a Penny too and agree it was very Balogh. Not all her books are quite so much like that but I love her writing.

I finished The One In My Heart. This is one where I didn't like the story line that much but loved the dialogue.