A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

What to expect from this series?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Latham (MarkLatham778) | 5 comments I just purchesed the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire series. I have yet to begin reading it, but I want to know what I should expect from this series. I've heard it is good and I've only seen a few episodes from the HBO series Game of Thrones.

This will be my first read of George R. R. Tolkins novel!

message 2: by C (new)

C (fightingfromafar) | 69 comments Here are a few things you can expect:
1. Well-written characters. You may love them, hate them or love to hate them, either way they are some of the most fleshed-out and interesting characters in modern fantasy.
2. Realistic worldbuilding. Lots of worldbuilding, actually.
3. Politics. Scheming and plotting on a "House of Cards" level.
4. People die, just like they do in real life.
5. Some boring chapters. Yes, there will likely be parts of the story you have to struggle through, but just keep going, it's worth your while.
6. A good story. As simple as that.

Happy reading :)

message 3: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments ^ that

and...

7. Extremely detailed descriptions of the most exotic foods imaginable.
8. Some of the biggest plot twist and surprises in literary history that may leave you with your mouth open in disbelief in front of an open book for several minutes.

P.S.: I slightly disagree about point 6. Good is just a word too small for it.
P.P.S.: I remember reading somewhere that George R.R. Martin said that he aims to make his readers feel not like they just read a story, but lived an experience, and I think it's safe to say, he really fucking manages to do it.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Burns (saussage1994) | 1 comments I just bought the series on Friday. Heard so many good things about the show (I've not seen it) so thought I'd give the books a try. I'm anxious to try them.

I just worry they will be a heavy read. And they're super long. I normally like to read books in a series all in a row and I'm thinking it will probably be best to read other books between each one. And advise on that front?

& Sorry for hijacking your post!

message 5: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Lauren wrote: "I just bought the series on Friday. Heard so many good things about the show (I've not seen it) so thought I'd give the books a try. I'm anxious to try them.

I just worry they will be a heavy rea..."

I've read other books between them. It helped me not get overwhelmed by the story, taking breaks from it and reading something from some other genre. But each time I started one of these, I was full of excitement and not even once I thought about opening another book before finishing the one I was reading. I was completely immersed in the story.

And yes, unless you're a really fast reader with a lot of free time, it'll probably take you a long time to read all of them. But it's totally worth it. It's time well spent.

You should probably read A Game of Thrones and see how you feel when you finish it. If you can't wait to see how it continues, move on to the next one, and if you feel like reading something else, take a break with another book. But if you do take a break, don't wait too long before reading the next one. It's better if your memory of what happened so far is fresh, so you don't miss anything.

The good thing is, since it'll probably take a while reading them all, you won't have to suffer the wait for the sixth book as much as those of us that have finished the last one so far already.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Latham (MarkLatham778) | 5 comments Well by the sounds of those few points that you two made, its safe to say that I'm going to enjoy this!

I'm just trying to move on fron young-adult books to more of a mature read. I've only read books by people like Garth Nix. But lately I've been reading books by Tom Clancy, Stephen King, Truman Capote, and now George R. R. Tolkin. Just recently I've finished reading Chris Kyle's American Sniper.

Can't wait to start reading it, might start it today!

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Latham (MarkLatham778) | 5 comments Shit! I just realised I've been saying Tolkin instead of Martin! I feel so ashamed right now.

message 8: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Yeah XD

It's more of a compliment than an insult, though.

Anyway, since we're at it, it's actually "Tolkien", not Tolkin. John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, and George Raymond Richard Martin.

I guess having two Rs between one's first and last name seems to be the key to being a spectacular fantasy writer.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Latham (MarkLatham778) | 5 comments Well good. :')

Haha yeah you're probably right there. I might get my name changed to have two R's between my name haha.

Anyway, I just read the prologue and I'm already hooked!