Reading List Completists discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
Group Reads > The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1736 comments Mod
Discuss the Reading List Completist May/June book selection The Princess Bride by William Goldman here.

Kirstin | 92 comments I'm going to go buy this tomorrow. I love the movie and I hope I love the book.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Apparently, if you get an older version it may say that it is abridged - but what I found out is that all versions are the same, it is just a joke that Goldman abridged the ancient text - and called it the "Good Parts" version.

Kirstin | 92 comments Matthew wrote: "Apparently, if you get an older version it may say that it is abridged - but what I found out is that all versions are the same, it is just a joke that Goldman abridged the ancient text - and calle..."

Thanks! That's good to know! :-)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I read the book several years ago and then watched the movie. You will not be disappointed.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Looks like I will be starting this one up tomorrow!

message 7: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited May 21, 2015 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished the intro . . . I am not sure if it is for the purposes of the story, or if he is really telling the truth (since the intro is written as non-fiction), but the author's relationship with his wife and son is a bit messed up. That is why I am thinking it may just be done for humorous effect - or perhaps it was a bit more normal of a family relationship in the seventies!

Fernando | 2 comments I just started reading it yesterday. I'm still in the intro and will admit that I was confused reading it at first. I wasn't sure if it was part of the book or Goodman's true story.

Kirstin | 92 comments I am very pleasantly surprised! This book is great and nothing like I thought it would be. I'm on page 40. I love the set up! The two! introductions were strange and funny. I love that Stephen King is mentioned. I thought I was getting a straightforward story, the movie in print form, but it's much more than that. This has favourite written all over it!

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't think my copy mentions Stephen King. It is the original hardcover - 73 or 74, so pre-King. What year was the version you are reading published?

Kirstin | 92 comments It's so cool that you have the original hardcover! I bought the latest paperback, 2007. It has the 25th anniversary introduction and the 30th anniversary as well. In one he's sitting, in Florin, with Andre the Giant, then he's at The Morgenstern Museum with his son. It comes out that Stephen King is "a famous descendent" of Florin and helps Goldman get behind the scenes.

Kirstin | 92 comments I'm already 200 pages in. How did I not know about this book? I can't believe it's not more popular. I wasn't even aware it was a book until I joined GR. Inconceivable! ;)

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Went to the Indy 500 today so I missed my reading time, but I am hoping to have some dedicated reading time tomorrow as I have Memorial Day off. Since I read this last on Friday I have been eager to continue - I am coming up on the Cliffs . . .

message 14: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished up - this was good. Maybe I am skewed by almost three decades of loving the movie, but I think the movie is better than the book. The film definitely cleans up the story line a lot, but a lot of the dialogue is the same in the movie as it is in the book.

Fernando | 2 comments I just finished the book as well. I really enjoyed it! I think the movie did a great job of following the book. I also think the book was written in a way where it wasn't too hard to make a movie that followed the book very closely.

Janina (sylarana) Just read this. I've never seen the movie and I liked the way the book was set up .. being the abridged version of a novel that doesn't exist. I found many of the "editor's" remarks in brackets quite funny. However, the story itself did not appeal to me at all. I'm just not a fan of that kind of romance (without any depth of development) or sword fights or pirates and so on. I had to force myself to finish it and I have rarely met a more annoying character than buttercup. I'm not sure if the novel is just meant as a way too long joke or if it is actuality trying to be a satire on your typical princess fairy tale. Either way, it's not working out for me. I'm baffled that it is so highly rated tbh.

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janina - I think it is mainly the movie and it's cult status that give this one such high marks. Not that it is not a good book as well, but it is understandable that if it is not your cup of tea it wouldn't appeal to you.

Kirstin | 92 comments Janina wrote: "Just read this. I've never seen the movie and I liked the way the book was set up .. being the abridged version of a novel that doesn't exist. I found many of the "editor's" remarks in brackets qui..."

That's too bad, Janina. I agree with Matthew. I think having loved and watched the movie so many times made the book that much more enjoyable. I also found Wesley and Buttercup more sympathetic in the movie version. For me, Inigo Montoya is the best character in both. You're right, in the book, Buttercup was lame.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Princess Bride (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Goldman (other topics)