Reading List Completists discussion

Group Reads > Deliverance by James Dickey

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1682 comments Mod
Discuss the Reading List Completist May selection Deliverance by James Dickey here.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'm back. I'm in for this one. Getting it from the library today. Can't wait. Short sentences.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Hey! Welcome back! Missed you around here!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Great book so far. Love the way it's written. Nice character development early on. Seems like an innocent canoe trip us about to take place, but I've heard references to this movie before, and I think more stuff happens outside of the said innocent canoe trip.

message 5: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments LOL, the movie. That really changed my view on men going out on trips in very rural areas.

I soooooo want to say it...

I wonder if the book is going to be more graphic about the umm, incident. I can't wait to start it.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) No spoilers!

message 7: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Cool your jets Justin. :P

There isn't any spoilers.

Watch the movie after reading the book.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Are pigs involved? Don't answer that. Rhetorical.

message 9: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Guinea Pigs? Yes, oops was that a spoiler?

message 10: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments The entire book is about these cute little guys.

description

- Just as a caution, don't google image guinea pigs. There are lots of dishes of them. :(

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) What would serve it with? I'd play it safe and go with barbeque sauce.

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I remember that when I finally saw the movie the shock factor had been built up for me so much I ended up not quite as shocked as I expected to be.

Of course, I think I watched The House of 1000 Corpses around the same time, so probably nothing else would be all that shocking.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Through the first day and guinea pigs have not made an appearance yet.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) So the shock comes early... I thought there would be something shocking toward the end. Maybe there is, but I think I've read through the scene. Yeah, that one if you've seen the movie.

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I will be joining once my hold comes in at the library. I suppose this one would be weird to say I am looking forward to (especially after Justin's last comment)

message 16: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments I finally have my copy. Looking forward to this. Yay!

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Haha, I think it may be more disturbing in the movie.

message 18: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Justin wrote: "So the shock comes early... I thought there would be something shocking toward the end. Maybe there is, but I think I've read through the scene. Yeah, that one if you've seen the movie."

:O They serve guinea pig at the beginning of the book! Oh come on! You have to build to that.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) It's just so random. Things are going adding just fine and......

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Going along

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Yeah man there really was no build at all to the guinea pigs. They're all canoeing down the river and its all peaceful and beautiful and then these wild rabid guinea pigs come out of nowhere so of course they have to kill them or else die. It was crazy. Sorry if I ruined anything.

message 22: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments I read Edward Lee's Header. Nothing is really surprising after that and few other very mean rural southern backwoods people towards guinea pigs books.

message 23: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Justin wrote: "Yeah man there really was no build at all to the guinea pigs. They're all canoeing down the river and its all peaceful and beautiful and then these wild rabid guinea pigs come out of nowhere so of..."

Umm didn't you say no spoilers. Lol

What! Mean guinea pigs! You mean the guinea pigs aren't in the canoe? I think we are talking about two very different type of guinea pigs.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Maybe we are. I think it's called Deliverance because the guinea pigs are trying to deliver a deadly virus to these guys on a canoe trip.

message 25: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Oh you are talking about backwoods mutant guinea pigs.

I was talking about there were these sweet little guinea pigs minding their own business then bam meanies come and try to bunt kick them away.

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'll wait to you all get going before I discuss more of the book. I don't want to sway you either direction.

message 27: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Lol okay. I am working now but it's pretty light. We were just playing Skyrim. I will read some tonight.

message 28: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I am pretty sure this conversation will prove to be better than the book.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Haha. this has derailed quickly hasn't it?

message 30: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Lol, doesn't it normally.

message 31: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited May 04, 2015 02:00PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 14th.

September 14th.

SPOILER:
The story Lewis is telling Ed about how he and Shad went off on a canoe trip without his bow or anything really. How Shad went off and the man and his boy found Lewis and told him how harsh it was out there, worst than prison (a little foreshadowing there). The boy went off to find Shad and did find him with a broken leg. That is scary. Good thing they found a nicer set of locals.

When they kept asking the locals about canoeing there and they are warned over and over not to go. Why must they keep going? Haven't they watched horror movies before? I know this was published in 1970 before all those backwoods slasher films like Last House on the Left, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes but sheesh, we know from these movies, don't go in the deep rural woods, bad things will happen. Still, they did have a few stories and movies to say not to do so.

The is the movie that has made me fear the banjo. Lonnie is innocent and even in the movie it was a neat scene but because of this story, if I hear the banjo like that. My mind goes to the worst. It screams get away! Run!
END OF SPOILER

message 32: by Ketan (new)

Ketan (KetanD) | 1 comments Deliverance's DNA is from Conrad's Heart of Dankness and Twain's Huckleberry Finn. Discuss.

message 33: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited May 04, 2015 02:01PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 15th.

September 15th

SPOILER:
The raping scene. Well boys. Welcome to the world of the fears of being a woman. I thought the line from the movie would be in here. It wasn't. Poor Bobby. I'd hide the dead body too. There is no way I'd want anything else to do with those sickos. Poor Drew get shot in the boat like that. What a nightmare! Now Lewis is hurt. It's all up to Bobby and Ed. Doesn't look good. Ed had some major superhero strength for all that climbing and rock cracking. I wanted the the song "You're the Best" to be playing in the background. (song from Karate Kid, You're the Best around, nothin's ever gonna keep you down...)

As for raping scenes the most realistic rape scene I have watched in a movie is from the French film (good movie) Irréversible.

Reading this section about how rural backwoods south is makes me happy to be a very Pacific Northwest Native. Over here we just have to watch out for the hippies and Sasquatch. ;)

For those of you that like the horror genre and backwoods hillbillies mutants Depraved is the book for you. I really enjoyed it. One of the best horror reads I had for last year. Think deliverance but more insane by far. You will never want to be in the woods again.

On a different note:
The movie that was far more terrifying than Deliverance was a foreign movie I watched back in 2004, Calvaire. I watched it and was disgusted by it and hated that movie. I mean pure hatred for the directors for allowing such movies to be made but for days and even weeks I was just shocked and told friends about it. I then realized that was one of the best movies I saw because even if I hated it and found it disturbing it left it's mark. I will never watch it again. Still, for a movie to make me feel that kind of emotion (even if it's negative) that's a brilliant movie. Just think Deliverance but way beyond and in another country.
END OF SPOILER

message 34: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Ask can't read spoilers from my phone!

message 35: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I also can't type with my phone!

message 36: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Hmm, so with the spoilers, of those sections I will just announce that don't read this message unless you read this section.

message 37: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

As much as I love Goodreads, their phone app leaves much to be desired

message 38: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments With my phone app. I just switched it to the desktop version and I'm able to view spoilers.

message 39: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 16th.

September 16th

SPOILER:
I enjoyed reading this section. I think mainly because it was just pure survival. Ed really balled up for this part of the story. I liked his hunt for the hillbilly and how he killed him but put a lot of thought into not scaring Bobby by firing the gun. Adrenaline does amazing things.

The humor about the trees was a nice touch to break up the seriousness of everything.

It was harsh. Real harsh and I liked how masculine and gritty it is. I can't stand it when reading about stuff like this then there is some kind of crazy romance involved or something that screams to a certain group of readers. I like thrillers like this. I find them refreshing.

I fear it isn't over. The fear I have it the backwoods hillbilly laws. I've read enough horror stories to be leery of their laws or that they'd be involved with it themselves. I hope they get away without issues.
END OF SPOILER

message 40: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of After.

After

SPOILER:
I just knew the law would be weirdo on the entire thing. That there was family involved and it's all tricky. It doesn't seem eventful but it's freaky. Going thought that whole ordeal then the backwards backwoods hillbilly lack of law to trap you.

I don't blame Bobby being a drunkard after the whole thing. He isn't that strong of a guy (mentally). I wonder if Ed told Lewis the entire thing or not. Or if Lewis just think he knows.

Overall, I enjoyed the story a lot. I see a lot of horror authors that use this story but amp it up. It's a good freaky story about survival and the worst nightmares you can face. Are you a flight, fight, or freeze kind of person?
END OF SPOILER

message 41: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Finally got my copy from the library - hope to add some comments (and review the messages above for commentary) as I get more into it.

I just finished the "Before" section. The planning and intro to characters was expected. The long description of the marketing agency was not - interesting to see how that will end up applying.

message 42: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 14th.

September 14th.

SPOILER:
The story Lewis is telling Ed about how he and Shad went off on a canoe trip without his bow..."

Yes - lots of foreshadowing in this section. Also, you make a great point about asking why are they still going. Lewis claims to be this man's man who is prepared to live in the woods, but it really seems like he is all talk. He doesn't know anything about where they are going and he allows the majority of their supplies to be beer. Also, it doesn't sound like he really helped the others prepare for an outdoor trip; he just expected to be their savior if there was trouble, thus stroking his ego.

Even camping and hiking trips into well known areas need decent preparation!

I hate to say this, but they are setting themselves up for disaster and I am not surprised that they have trouble.

message 43: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 15th.

September 15th

SPOILER:
The raping scene. Well boys. Welcome to the world of the fears of being a woman. I thought..."

When my wife saw that I was reading this book, this scene is what she thought the whole thing was. I was surprised that the hillbilly encounter was only about 3 or 4 pages.

She asked me if it was scary - I guess it is a bit scary. I think if I was reading it while I was camping it would be. Now it is more shocking than anything, and then suspenseful when they are trying to figure out what to do and then everything really falls apart.

Comparing this to movies (other than the actual Deliverance movie) - she asked me if it was like The Hills Have Eyes - I think this is a fairly decent comparison. People on vacation encountering twisted, inbred freaks who have different plans for them (which, much to their dismay, includes rape) and then trying to survive/seek revenge.

message 44: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Yeah, I didn't even know what the scene was before I read the book, but I was pretty close when I guessed about pigs,didn't I? I didn't really like the book because I'm not much of an adventure fan. After that scene, the rest just becomes more about the scenery and planning and waiting and thinking. I never liked Hatchet or Call of the Wild in school either. I guess I like my stories to take place mostly indoors. :)

message 45: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Matthew wrote: "Comparing this to movies (other than the actual Deliverance movie) - she asked me if it was like The Hills Have Eyes - I think this is a fairly decent comparison. People on vacation encountering twisted, inbred freaks who have different plans for them (which, much to their dismay, includes rape) and then trying to survive/seek revenge. "

The Hills Have Eyes is way more scary. Those are mutant hillbillies and they sure like their rape. I've read a lot of books last year that have that camping fear factor of freaks going after the people.

message 46: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments Justin wrote: "Yeah, I didn't even know what the scene was before I read the book, but I was pretty close when I guessed about pigs,didn't I? I didn't really like the book because I'm not much of an adventure fa..."

Oh Justin. What shall we do with you? I liked that book. I enjoyed the whole survival thing. You can just feel his despair and hoping everything goes to plan. I have read a lot of horror books last year with the theme of them trying to survive from the freaks. One of them was with this kick arse girl. It was real good, crazy, and full of gore as well as that creepy sick rape stuff. I loved that book.

message 47: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Don't read this messages until you've read all the section of September 16th.

September 16th

SPOILER:
I enjoyed reading this section. I think mainly because it was just pure survival. Ed really..."

Harsh - that's the truth!

I kept thinking about how just a few days before everything was normal in these guy's lives, and now they will have to go through the rest of their lives always thinking about what happened, always worrying that it will come back to haunt them.

Interesting point about the book not having romance . . . it is true that it seems like most books - no matter what the subject matter - try to fit a romance in. They did have Ed and his wife early in the book, but it seems like that was more to show their normal lives before things got crazy.

And, I don't suppose Bobby has any love for the locals after this experience!

It was interesting to hear them come up with their "story" and try to make sure everyone was on board. I could hear the pride in Lewis's voice when he told Ed he came up with a good plan. However, Ed was kind of babbling and I was pretty sure he was going to blow it!

message 48: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Done, but still willing to discuss! :)