Reading List Completists discussion

Beloved
This topic is about Beloved
Group Reads > Beloved by Toni Morrison

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1706 comments Mod
Discuss the Reading List Completist May Selection Beloved by Toni Morrison here.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Might try this one, too. It's one of those that I feel like everyone has read except me. I'm not big into historical fiction, but I feel like I need to read this.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Justin wrote: "Might try this one, too. It's one of those that I feel like everyone has read except me. I'm not big into historical fiction, but I feel like I need to read this."

Agreed that I too feel like this is one I should read. For some reason this is just about the only Toni Morrison novel I cannot find at my library - and they have an entire shelf of her books!

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yes! Just found on the digital library!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments I read it before the movie came out. It's good or at least from what I remember. That was a long while ago.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

This is one I probably would not have thought of reading without this group.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments It was around the time the Oprah reading club was starting.

Courtney | 17 comments I read this book earlier this year. I would recommend not listening to the audiobook and read the print. Although I was cool to listen to TM narrate her own story, the story's dream-like prose made me fall asleep every time. I did not like the story but I am going to try and read The Bluest Eye since several people have recommended it to me.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to other people's thoughts.

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

So far, the way this one is written is sort of hard to follow. I can't put my finger on what it is that is causing it. I hope that I get used to it.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I have a copy, but hesitant to start. I'm feeling like it won't be my thing, but I also feel like I need to read it or at least give it a shot.

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

About 50 pages in - slow going for me so far. Still a bit hard to get into the writing style and not much seems to be happening. It's not bad, it is just not "moving" me yet.

Just coming home from the carnival and a mysterious woman in black is showing up, so maybe something new is happening to draw me in.

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

There is lots of timeline jumping in this book - seems like I have been reading lots of books lately with timeline jumping. Unfortunately, the ones I have been reading are not always clear as to when the time is jumping so suddenly I am like "Oh! This is 15 years ago and the main character is a kid now . . . okay, refocus!"

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

I am still torn on this one . . . sometimes I find myself liking it (never really loving it) and then it starts to get all weird and spastic and I suddenly realize I am not sure what is going on.

I think the reason for this is that Morrison is writing from a dark, gritty, personal place for the characters - and while that is really interesting - it causes me to lose the story for a bit and I have to go back and summarize the last few pages in my head.

Anyone else out there reading this or who has read it before that has some thoughts?

message 14: by Courtney (last edited May 20, 2015 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Courtney | 17 comments Matthew wrote: "I am still torn on this one . . . sometimes I find myself liking it (never really loving it) and then it starts to get all weird and spastic and I suddenly realize I am not sure what is going on. ..."

I also had a lot of issues when I was listening to the audio book. I would listen to it and then have to read the Sparknotes to understand what happened. Not good.

Since then, with difficult books like Beloved, I annotate while reading. I know a lot of people are against writing in their books but it really helped me especially when I read Joyce's Dubliners.

If you have a cheap copy of the book, I would consider annotating and summarizing each page as you read. Just a short sentence or two at the top of the page or in the margin. You might want to make a timeline on the inside covers, since she shifts between the past and the present. Make your own headings when the voice, character, or timeline changes at the beginning of a paragraph. Whatever works for you.

I have come to love annotating. There is something so neat about having my writing/thoughts sharing the same page as the author. You can always look back weeks/months later to see if your opinions about the characters changed or if you had predicted the rest of the story.

It worked well while reading James Joyce so it would probably work for Morrison since they share some characteristics of style and voice.

Good luck!

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Courtney wrote: "If you have a cheap copy of the book, I would consider annotating and summarizing each page as you read."

Unfortunately, I am reading a Kindle copy. From what you are saying, I am glad that I did not get the audio version.

I feel like when I get done with this, there will end up being very little actual story for the amount of pages I am reading . . . that is not necessarily a bad thing, but when I look back (and I am around page 200), not much has happened yet.

Courtney | 17 comments I hope this isn't a spoiler but the last part of the book really picks up. All of the stuff you have been reading has been the build up. Soon the action will start.

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Courtney wrote: "I hope this isn't a spoiler but the last part of the book really picks up. All of the stuff you have been reading has been the build up. Soon the action will start."

That's good! I just got done with about 10 pages of weird stream of consciousness stuff that was a bit hard to follow.

Yeah . . . when it is easy to follow story followed by stream of consciousness, I should probably be taking notes!

message 18: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sigh . . . in the end this just didn't do it for me. And, Courtney, I don't think I ever found the place where the action started. This was just kind of a blah and confusing book for me.

Courtney | 17 comments Sorry you had a rough time with it. Now you can complain about it to everyone who says they've read it ;)

Suzan (Suus Leest) (suzann1219) | 8 comments I read this one a couple months ago, and the only reason I ploughed through is because I was reading it for school. I did not have a pleasant reading experience at all, but I must say that after reading a few essays about it and writing my own as well, I started to appreciate it more. I'm glad I read it, but it's certainly not one of my favourites.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beloved (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Toni Morrison (other topics)