NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Approved or not!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (yorkistgirl) I still have no idea about any of this really! Some publishers refuse to let me loose with their books, one auto approved me after just reading one of their titles & others sometimes yes & sometimes no, then there was another who said no but then on the same day sent me an invitation to read the book they'd just refused

message 2: by CL (new)

CL (cljones) | 20 comments I also belong to First to Read and several of the tiles I have already reviewed there I requested on Net Galley and was declined. I even researched how I could contact the publisher and request to be added to their approval list but that was a dead end. I'll just keep requesting until I can reach a status that will allow me more access.

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail (smutjunkielover) | 5 comments Seriously how long does it take to get approved for a book..I have one on my pending list that has been there since like April..

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Rivera (marthacrivera) Gail wrote: "Seriously how long does it take to get approved for a book..I have one on my pending list that has been there since like April.."

I think it just depends on the publisher and book. I have one in my pending list too from a while ago.

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail (smutjunkielover) | 5 comments Yea.. I understand.. The one I REALLY REALLY want is still pending too.. I have read the first 2 in the series... I want this one like NOW.. but if Im not approved of course I will buy it.. I just wish it didnt take so long ya know.. :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 148 comments Gail wrote: "Seriously how long does it take to get approved for a book..I have one on my pending list that has been there since like April.."

I have one of those too!!

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (keeperofthearchives) Two days ago, I got approved for a title i'd had on request for ages and it was archived the day afterwards. Good job I was quick to download it!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 28 comments It can be annoying when you request a book with two or three months to go until publication and then it is approved just before the book comes out. I understand why publishers do not want reviews posted too early, but they can make that clear when they approve. Most of us have a backlog of books at all times and we are pretty organised in our reading!

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Henrichsen (peter_dk) | 3 comments Emma wrote: "Two days ago, I got approved for a title i'd had on request for ages and it was archived the day afterwards. Good job I was quick to download it!"

That sounds really peculiar. How many days do you have to read it, then? I thought the license ran out the day the book was archieved.

Best wishes Peter

message 10: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 171 comments Today I was refused for two titles. (sniff-sniff) Both cited territorial reasons.
I do NOT understand the reasoning behind this.
Although I do not reside in the territory specified my blog is on the WWW and thus has international readership. I post my reviews on GoodReads and Twitter which have international readerships.
Am I missing something?

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) | 3 comments Lynne wrote: "Today I was refused for two titles. (sniff-sniff) Both cited territorial reasons.
Although I do not reside in the territory specified my blog is on th..."

I've wondered that too. I used to think it was some kind legal issue, but I've been sent widgets from authors who are in Britain and publishers in Australia, so it doesn't make much sense to me either, but they seldom approve a title outside their territory. I hope someone here can clear that up.

message 12: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 171 comments Julie wrote: "Lynne wrote: "Today I was refused for two titles. (sniff-sniff) Both cited territorial reasons.
Although I do not reside in the territory specified my..."

Yes Julie,
What makes it even more confusing is that I have been granted auto-approval by Severn House which is a UK publisher and I live in Canada.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (keeperofthearchives) Peter wrote: "Emma wrote: "Two days ago, I got approved for a title i'd had on request for ages and it was archived the day afterwards. Good job I was quick to download it!"

That sounds really peculiar. How man..."

Peter, I always try to read it as quickly as possible if this happens, before the publish date if possible. But I don't think there's any requirement to do so. From other comments i've read on these kind of groups, it happens to people quite frequently. If it's something i've requested, i definitely want to read it- so I go ahead and enjoy it anyway!

message 14: by Davida (last edited Aug 05, 2015 10:02PM) (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 70 comments Even stranger still, I was once sent a reply that said they didn't approve me for a book because of territorial reasons (I asked for the UK version), but when I went onto NetGalley, the book was on my approved list. At the time, I was writing reviews for a UK site, so I downloaded the book anyway, and put my initial review up there (they asked for 30 days exclusive).

These days, it does seem strange to have any territorial problems, since most of us post our reviews on online blogs that have international readership.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 28 comments Yes, although some editions of books have different publishers - so may be released under Doubleday in the US and a different publisher in the UK.

Some author's with large back catalogues have had issues releasing kindle versions of books as they have different titles on different publishers.

It is something I notice often when choosing the version of the book I am reviewing - different covers and different publisher names. So, although I am not sure it is the problem, it may cause issues between publishing companies if they give review copies outside their territory.

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane (ladieswholunchreviews) | 8 comments At first I would always get notified about an approval or decline but lately books just show up on my shelf! Is this the norm for netgalley does anyone know?

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 28 comments It has happened to me too - I haven't had notifications about some (not all) approvals/rejections or auto approvals.

message 18: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 171 comments Peter wrote: "Emma wrote: "Two days ago, I got approved for a title i'd had on request for ages and it was archived the day afterwards. Good job I was quick to download it!"

That sounds really peculiar. How man..."

Peter,
I've submitted feedback LONG after the book was archived in some cases. (though I do TRY to submit them as promptly as I possibly can...)

message 19: by Fictionophile (last edited Sep 04, 2015 10:43AM) (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 171 comments Diane wrote: "At first I would always get notified about an approval or decline but lately books just show up on my shelf! Is this the norm for netgalley does anyone know?"

Diane,
There has only been one occasion when I didn't receive an email notification. Strange...

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 449 comments Diane wrote: "At first I would always get notified about an approval or decline but lately books just show up on my shelf! Is this the norm for netgalley does anyone know?"

Diane: I've always had notifications when I've been approved for books but I have had declined books just show up in my declined list, grr r r r without any notification or reason.

Only time I've had a book show up on my shelf is when I've had some invitations. I don't appreciate that either since I don't necessarily want to read the book they have invited me to read but it will count in my ratios. (am I rambling too much?)

I do wish that NetGalley would ask publishers to reply in some way to requests so we would know a possible reason. I love NetGalley but that is sort of rude on the part of the publicity people. Most send out at least a standardized form citing possible reasons.

message 21: by Myst (last edited Jan 27, 2016 04:32PM) (new)

Myst (detetiv) | 1 comments Dorie wrote: "Diane wrote: "At first I would always get notified about an approval or decline but lately books just show up on my shelf! Is this the norm for netgalley does anyone know?"

Diane: I've always had ..."

Sometimes even those are confusing, I have 1 publisher who keeps telling me my blog is incomplete with a list on what I may be missing. Yet I have all the links provided on my profile for each of the darn bullet points. And it isn't a stats thing.

message 22: by A (last edited Feb 15, 2016 03:01PM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments So...It's been six days since I requested a NG book from a publisher I'm usually approved. Btw, I requested it almost immediately after it was listed. I'm seeing GRs reviews where others got their ARCs of the same book practically the same day they requested. I've been so excited about this book that I've worked extremely hard to get my ARC backlog in the single digits. Should I give up hope? My feedback is 96% (almost 200 reviews within the last 10 months!)...

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was from Penguin and it took AGES. Like at least 3 weeks. I totally forgot I even requested it. But I think Penguin is really choosy with their approvals.

message 24: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was from Penguin and it took AGE..."

St. Martin's Press is the publisher I'm referring to. I've been approved lots of times by them since 11/15...but now when I REALLY would like to be approved...I'm getting no response, which likely means eventually I'll be declined. I'm assuming its because they want bloggers for this one. I've reviewed this author before on NG & gave them the highest rating. I've checked the stats of some who have been approved & mine are higher.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was from Penguin..."

Hmm. I have had something pending from them for a while ("Only Ever You"). Is that the book you are waiting for?

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was from Penguin..."

Where can you see the stats of people that are approved?

message 27: by A (last edited Feb 16, 2016 06:11AM) (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was fr..."

After finding the book on GRs, you can see people posting they received a NG ARC. Then if you click on their GRs name, you can see how many GRs reviews they have posted, when they joined, and they usually have their blog name listed, as well. Since my NG profile is very similar to GRs, I'm assuming it is the same for others. I.e., if a GRs profile shows someone is a top ranking GR reviewer with tons of reviews...It is a safe bet their NG ranking is likely very high, too.

message 28: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Heather wrote: "A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That decline was fr..."

No, that's not the book.

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) A wrote: "Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the US. That ..."

Got it. Thanks so much. I am still getting declined more than I would like so am trying to figure out how to change that.

message 30: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even though I'm in the..."

Unfortunately, you got to spend some time in the literary trenches. I started out reading a lot of books from the "Read Now" because they are usually approved, which often aren't that great, which lead to several not so great ratings for them. I've found it simply takes time. Try to always leave NG feedback...ASAP. Be sure to post a link of your review on NG and I also comment at the bottom where I will be posting the reviews. Unfortunately, some of my fav publishers only issue to bloggers.

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments St. Martin's seems to be a publisher that only checks their requests every once in a while. I wouldn't necessarily expect a decline just because it's sitting in pendings, the person that was on the day it was added may have gone offline right before you requested. I always seem to get a bunch of approvals all at once from them and it's usually around the time more of their titles are being put up for review as if whoever is adding to Netgalley is also dealing with requests that day.

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Burnett (cindyhillburnett) A wrote: "Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Cindy wrote: "A wrote: "Heather wrote: "I've only been declined for one book since I joined in November, not counting the "We prefer UK readers" ones I've requested even tho..."

That is all very helpful. Thanks. I will try some more Read Now books. I have been including the link but that's a great idea to leave it in the comments too. I really appreciate the help.

Yes the blogger deal seems to be an issue sometimes.

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments I just got declined for a book I requested in November! Take your time, Viking/Penguin.

message 34: by Pia (new)

Pia | 34 comments Viking/Penguin is sloooow about requests, but at least they answer. I've had books from some publishers that were archived and I never even got declined for them

message 35: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Carrie wrote: "St. Martin's seems to be a publisher that only checks their requests every once in a while. I wouldn't necessarily expect a decline just because it's sitting in pendings, the person that was on the..."

St. Martin's Press apparently have been quick to approve others for this one. I'm 95% certain I was one of the early bird requesters because I was stalking it on NG after the author announced it would be on NG soon. I spent days checking multiple times a day. It felt like a mission I had to see through! lol My ARC backlog was in the single digits so I know feedback ratio wasn't the problem. Yeah, I spent the last month or so reading like crazy to accomplish that! lol Anyhow, within this short time it is now listed as one of the most requested ARCs for this genre...so that likely means they were likely super selective and only picked popular bloggers. So I'm feeling not only let down but down right foolish to get so excited about one book. I'll either have to buy it or wait for my library to order it. Btw, it is the only book still pending approval.

message 36: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 24 comments A wrote: "Carrie wrote: "St. Martin's seems to be a publisher that only checks their requests every once in a while. I wouldn't necessarily expect a decline just because it's sitting in pendings, the person ..."

What book is it?

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather I finally got my approval from St. Martin's. I'm looking forward to reading "Only Ever You: A Novel".

message 38: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 29 comments Just got it too Heather, was going to come post that it seems the St. Martin person is online today. :)

message 39: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments I got my rejection email yesterday (St. Martin's Press) via NG. I responded with an appeal cause my stats are "97%" approval...Almost 200 reviews in the last 10 months...and they have always approved me before. I don't expect to even get a reply though.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberaddictedtoparanormal) | 8 comments Something weird is happening. It says I have 0 approved, and 0 feeback given. But I have 14 approved, and 2 feedback given. Anyone have the same problem?

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments Amber wrote: "Something weird is happening. It says I have 0 approved, and 0 feeback given. But I have 14 approved, and 2 feedback given. Anyone have the same problem?"

Same here! I have zeros for everything but my ratio should be 100% at the moment (34 approved and 34 feedback). Hopefully just a temporary glitch.

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberaddictedtoparanormal) | 8 comments Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one having a problem.

message 43: by Naima (new)

Naima (femmearabe) Anyone know anything about DC Entertainment's rules? I was approved for two of their TPBs (Martian Manhunter: The Epiphany and Batgirl of Burnside Vol. 2) very quickly after I requested them. I have a comics review blog, and I gave them very thorough reviews, but all other requests I've put in have been pending for a while.

message 44: by Marie (new)

Marie (esterrestrial) | 14 comments Hello! I am just new here and I haven't requested a book in Netgalley yet. Since I haven't had any approved requests yet, I am afraid my request won't get approved. :( Do you guys have any tips? Thank you.

message 45: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Hi I've only been a member for a few months and have requested and been approved loads of times., in fact I have too many books at the mo. Here's a link on their help pages about what to do before requesting books hope you find it helpful. :-)

http://blog.netgalley.com/before-you-...

message 46: by Marie (new)

Marie (esterrestrial) | 14 comments Nicki wrote: "Hi I've only been a member for a few months and have requested and been approved loads of times., in fact I have too many books at the mo. Here's a link on their help pages about what to do before ..."

Thank you! :)

message 47: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 56 comments Marie wrote: "Hello! I am just new here and I haven't requested a book in Netgalley yet. Since I haven't had any approved requests yet, I am afraid my request won't get approved. :( Do you guys have any tips? Th..."
You can build up your profile by reading "Read Now" titles. The more feedback you give the more publishers will approve your requests. I also noticed that some publishers do not approve any requests unless you have a blog regardless of your feedback.

message 48: by Marie (new)

Marie (esterrestrial) | 14 comments Milena wrote: "Marie wrote: "Hello! I am just new here and I haven't requested a book in Netgalley yet. Since I haven't had any approved requests yet, I am afraid my request won't get approved. :( Do you guys hav..."

Thank you for the tip! I am going to try that. :)

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Marie wrote: "Hello! I am just new here and I haven't requested a book in Netgalley yet. Since I haven't had any approved requests yet, I am afraid my request won't get approved. :( Do you guys have any tips? Th..."

I never found that to be a problem I got my first book approved. try to look for book with no preference on where you are from I always get them. Also try Meliena's tip.

message 50: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Just came across this on the NetGalley help pages whilst looking for another query, and thought it might help with questions about approvals.

"I was approved for one title from a publisher and then declined for another. Why?

This is fairly common, since each title generally has a different marketing and publicity strategy, and titles are often managed by different publicists within the organization. Request approvals also vary depending on the publication date - fewer requests may be approved if the title is very close to its on-sale date, for example."

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Only Ever You (other topics)
Wanderers (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chuck Wendig (other topics)