All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > May 2015- What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

With 3 days of April left, it's time to start thinking about reading plans for May. What will you be reading?

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited May 24, 2015 09:52AM) (new)

Chrissie I will start with these two that I didn't have time to read in April:

Restless read 2 stars
The Life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (3 stars read)

and then continue with these:

Macbeth (read 4 stars)
Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary (5 stars read)
Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average (read 4 stars)

Added this one:
Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life (4 stars read)

Then I will choose more. FUN!

See messages 96 and 112 for more books read this month.

message 3: by LauraT (last edited Apr 28, 2015 01:29AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
At the moment just a couple of titles:

Sara Gruen,  Water for Elephants
Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day
Willa Carter, Death Comes for the Archbishop
Donald Westlake, Come ti rapisco il pupo
Paul Auster, The New York Trilogy

message 4: by Alannah (last edited May 01, 2015 02:56PM) (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11553 comments Mod
I still haven't gotten through my April reads, but one thing I know I will be reading is

Second Life by S.J. Watson
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
The Girl on the Train by David Mitchell

message 5: by Jose (last edited Apr 27, 2015 02:43AM) (new)

Jose I have:

Life of Pi
City of Ashes
The Tragedy Paper
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
The Crown of Embers
The Outcasts

I still haven't, but I am going to be buying The Eye of the World and Furies of Calderon. The Wheel of Time and Codex Alera!!!

message 6: by Gill (last edited Apr 27, 2015 05:20AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I've just started, so will finish in May,
The Bone Clocks
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Then I'm moving on to
The Power and the Glory
Germinal
Duet
And I hope
The Paying Guests

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I plan on reading
1. Mrs. Dalloway
2. Equal Rites
3. The Lollipop Shoes

message 8: by Bionic Jean (last edited Apr 27, 2015 07:51AM) (new)

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "At the moment just a couple of titles:

Willa Carter, Death Comes for the Archbishop..."

Ooh, Laura, can I join you in reading The Remains of the Day? I recently bought a copy so anytime is good for me :)

message 10: by Leslie (last edited Jun 01, 2015 05:57PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Here is what I am thinking about reading in May:

Short Stories: The Grey Woman And Other Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell
Poetry: The Jacob's Ladder by Denise Levertov

Plays: The Seagull by Anton Chekhov and some other play as yet undecided: Right You Are! (If You Think So) by Luigi Pirandello

Already checked out from the library:
The Maltese Goddess by Lyn Hamilton

For personal challenges:
Memory by Lois Bujold McMasters
Helen of Sparta by Amalia Carosella
A Deadly Shade of Gold by John D. MacDonald
Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas

For readalongs and group reads:
The White Monkey by John Galsworthy
Heaven Preserve Us by Cricket McRae
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I will prob read Divergent and go from there.

message 12: by LauraT (new)

Leslie wrote: "LauraT wrote: "At the moment just a couple of titles:

Willa Carter, [book:Death Comes for the Arc..."

Yes!!! Shall we say half May? Let's open a read-a-long: meybe someone else is interested.

message 13: by LauraT (new)

Amber wrote: "I will prob read Divergent and go from there."

Didn't like it at all: I've decided to stop after the first. Let me know what you think

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Oh okay and I will LauraT. I ended up watching the film first which was good so will have the film stars in my head. Right now I am finishing The Shining and Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson which will count as my May reads. They are both pretty good though.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Apr 27, 2015 09:33AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "es!!! Shall we say half May? Let's open a read-a-long: meybe someone else is interested. .."

Good! I'll add it to the upcoming readalongs list too.

(added later)
Glad I decided to do that as I found that I had forgotten I had signed up for the The New York Trilogy readalong! Going back and adding it to my list.

message 16: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Heather wrote: "I plan on reading
1. Mrs. Dalloway
2. Equal Rites
3. The Lollipop Shoes"

I have The Lollipop Shoes waiting on my shelf, love Joanne Harris!

message 17: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments My May plans
For my personal challenge The Last Magic, The Robber Bride, and A Time for Judas
Group reads The Invention of Wings, and The Nightingale - if it arrives from the library during May
And lastly, a book I borrowed and must return Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Heather & Evelyn, I didn't realize there was a follow up to Chocolat. The Lollipop Shoes looks interesting. I'll be waiting for your reviews.

message 19: by LauraT (new)

Leslie wrote: "Glad I decided to do that as I found that I had forgotten I had signed up for the The New York Trilogy readalong! Going back and adding it to my list..."

Me too!!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Me three! I'm still going it though

message 21: by LauraT (new)

Good! Opened the discussion in readalong

message 22: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 28, 2015 01:51AM) (new)

Chrissie Heather, I really liked both Chocolat and Blackberry Wine, but have not read any others....

Laura, Water for Elephants is just excellent!! It is humorous and it is wise and interesting, about getting old and about retirement homes and about circuses and animals and the Depression. Good stuff.

Jean, if you can try to get Gateway to Freedom: The Hidden History of the Underground Railroad before reading Twelve Years a Slave. I think it is good to read the two together.

Evelyn, I did like The Invention of Wings, but The Secret Life of Bees is REALLY special!

Ypu guys have some really good books, I think.

message 23: by LauraT (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Laura, Water for Elephants is just excellent!! It is humorous an..."

It's my suggestion swap for next two months!

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie You were very lucky, Laura. Or does that mean you suggested it to someone else? I am bit confused

message 25: by Bionic Jean (last edited Apr 28, 2015 03:00AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Chrissie - Thanks for your recommendation. I have "liked" your excellent review, but since the book is an astonishing £17.23 on Kindle, and I find audible nonfiction difficult to assimilate, I won't be able to read it yet.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jean, that is expensive and I understand totally. It takes a while, but then the Kindle prices usually sink. I am an Audible member so prices for the new books are the same as those for the older ones; they always cost just one coupon! Your library?

message 27: by Bionic Jean (last edited Apr 28, 2015 03:28AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Chrissie - I agree, they usually come down. My library does not have it in any format. Audible ... well eventually I may "succumb"(!) but quite honestly I feel I have enough opportunities to read most of what I want, without. If there get to be more instances like this, then I may join the happy band :)

But ... I had so many pre-ereader years when all I could do was listen to books, that it has made me reluctant to do more than the minimum listening. I never really adapted very easily. I must have a different sort of brain, I think - very visual - although I think many people have difficulties with audio, and I do admire your tenacity.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jean, you don't have a different sort of brain. I am more visual too. f you have to listen you learn how to do it. It is that simple. I am not recommending the audioformat if you don't have to, and non-fiction is harder than fiction.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments I can't think of anything more luxurious than relaxing on the way home from work by closing my eyes and listen to someone read to me - I have a subscription to Audible and I love it.

Anyway, my book line up for the month looks like this:
The White Monkey /Forsyte Chronicles
Mrs. Dalloway
The Remains of the Day
The Silkworm

message 30: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I had roughly ten years when I "had to listen" - or not bother with the books I wanted. (There were many more available through the UK's library for the Blind, than there are commercially.) Yet still I would say that I never fully mastered how to do it. For me, it's not that simple! So what you've said, Chrissie, has just made me admire your tenacity even more :)

(I know others can find it relaxing. I'm sadly just not one of them!)

message 31: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 28, 2015 12:46PM) (new)

Chrissie Thanks, Jean.

Oh, Jean, I wanted to ask you something. Have you read anything by Peter Ackroyd? I want to test the author but don't know if he is good or bad. I saw he has a bio on Dickens and since you have read just about everything on him maybe you had read that too.

Does anybody know if the author is good? I think he is pretty well known.

message 32: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 273 comments Chrissie wrote: "Thanks, Jean.

Oh, Jean, I wanted to ask you something. Have you read anything by Peter Ackroyd? I want to test the author but don't know if he is good or bad. I saw he has a bio on ..."

Hi Chrissie,
Just an opinion,but I think Hawksmoor by Ackroyd is pretty terrific.

message 33: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Chrissie, The Secret Life of Bees was my introduction to Sue Monk Kidd, it definitely was special!

message 34: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 28, 2015 09:56PM) (new)

Chrissie John, I am so glad I have a chance to talk with someone who has read Ackroyd! I checked out Hawksmoor. Hmmm, again some cannot finish the book and others thought that at least on completion it was very good. It seems rather hard to follow written in old English every other chapter! Often even those people who say they were confused liked the book, but some quit and some loved it. Jean gave the book three stars. What did you give it?

I am looking for an author interested in showing me the human side of Charlie Chaplin, not a description of the films. Many reviewers of that book seem to say that he criticized Chaplin TOO much...... Well, a biography is supposed to be honest, I think. Some say the author shows Chaplin's genius too, so that ought to give it balance.

I guess I should try it, both to learn about Chaplin and to test the author. He also has one on Shakespeare.

Thank you for your help.

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Evelyn, exactly! It is a book not like others.

message 36: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 273 comments Chrissie wrote: "John, I am so glad I have a chance to talk with someone who has read Ackroyd! I checked out Hawksmoor. Hmmm, again some cannot finish the book and others thought that at least on compl..."

Hey Chrissie,It's not an easy read,but I think it's right up your alley.You do a terrific job of analyzing books.There's art,culture ,history,and lots more.It's challenging,but you're certainly up to the challenge!I give it 4.5 stars.

message 37: by LauraT (new)

Chrissie wrote: "You were very lucky, Laura. Or does that mean you suggested it to someone else? I am bit confused"

I was suggested it! And gladly received it as a suggestion!

message 38: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura, yeah you were lucky! that is what I thought you meant.

John, OK, I am going to see if I can purchase it. And thank you for your kind words.

message 39: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7374 comments Mod
LauraT wrote: "At the moment just a couple of titles:

Willa Carter, Death Comes for the Archbishop..."

A good list Laura! :)

message 40: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7374 comments Mod
Evelyn wrote: "My May plans
For my personal challenge The Last Magic, The Robber Bride,...."

Evelyn, The Robber Bride was interesting and a bit weird - I read it long ago in the early 1990s when it came out. I remember liking the weird dreams. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I don't remember it well.

message 41: by Greg (last edited Apr 29, 2015 04:05AM) (new)

Greg | 7374 comments Mod
Terry wrote: "I can't think of anything more luxurious than relaxing on the way home from work by closing my eyes and listen to someone read to me - I have a subscription to Audible and I love it...."

I feel the same way Terry, though I don't close my eyes since I'm behind the wheel! :)

I think as Chrissie says though it is a matter of adaption. It took me a while to train my brain to do it - at first, listening didn't come natural to me at all. I used to have issues with my mind wandering and also had issues not being able to process complex syntax by listening (I think since I'd never had to do that before).

But now, I have a similar experience listening and reading. With both methods, in particularly vivid passages, pictures form in my head. The main difference is that in uninspired tracts of text, I can't speed up as much.

So certain books I'd rather read in physical form. Most books I'm interested in work just as well either way. Sometimes, the audiobook is even a bonus .. for instance Neil Gaiman is a wonderful reader of his own work - a born storyteller!

message 42: by Chatterjak (new)

Chatterjak | 89 comments Lol, glad to hear you are keeping your eyes open at the wheel Greg, always good advice ;)! That really tickled me! :D

I was the same as many of you, I struggled with audiobooks at first, finding it hard to maintain focus. To be honest I only started 'reading' them because I'd bought a couple for my Dad when he broke his back & was stuck in bed for a long period, and I was so annoyed (I didn't tell him of course!) that he wouldn't even try them after I'd spent nearly 40 quid on them, that I listened to them just so it wasn't a waste! .... And now I'm quite addicted, adore my audible subscription, and always end up topping up my credits every month!

message 43: by Bionic Jean (last edited Apr 29, 2015 09:12AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Chrissie - Sorry - I missed your question to me! I think I answered it elsewhere so maybe you put it in another thread as well . Anyway yes, do try Peter Ackroyd. I think both his strictly factual books and his biographies, which have quite a broad focus, are superb.

My mid-range (the default for me) star rating for Hawksmoor could well have been due to the "problem" we talked about, that I find audio difficult to access. That one was a very long read, and the narrator was probably not too good. I remember it was very interesting though.

London: The Biography is superb.

Peter Ackroyd has written several books about Charles Dickens; don't believe the Amazon entries as they are incorrect. The best one is over 1000 pages. It was groundbreaking at the time and is unsurpassed, even though a scholarly new bio of Dickens comes out every few years. And yes, I heard that "on audio", although the "audio" was actually Chris reading it to me. Now he is not a crazy Dickens fan like me, but he found this an absorbing read as well! :)

message 44: by Piret (new)

Piret | 92 comments Oh, April is almost over already. I didn't even notice :D
I'm going to continue The Bronze Horseman. I'm not sure what I will read next but I really would like to read Brave New World if I can get it from somewhere. If I can't then I'll maybe read Fahrenheit 451. But it can happen that I want to read something else, we'll see :)

message 45: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 29, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Chrissie Greg and others, many do have to get accustomed to audiobooks. If I can do it so can you! Don't give up, but maybe don't bother if you don't need to.

Jean, i went and got Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life by Peter Ackroyd. It will be fun to try him.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments Greg wrote: "Terry wrote: "I can't think of anything more luxurious than relaxing on the way home from work by closing my eyes and listen to someone read to me - I have a subscription to Audible and I love it....."

Yes! That's funny you mentioned Neil Gaiman, because that was my first Audible book and I thought "Wow, this this great!"
I know exactly what you mean about wishing to be able to speed through the less inspired parts of a book - you can speed up the audio, but it is not as effective as skimming when you are actually reading. You are kind of limited to how fast you can listen before the voice gets distorted.

message 47: by Pink (last edited Jun 03, 2015 05:31AM) (new)

Pink Here's my plans for May -

To finish:
The Beautiful and Damned
3 stars

Group reads I still haven't started:
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer 4 stars
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
The Secret History (Only two months late but it's finally arrived at my library!)

May group reads:
The Diary of a Provincial Lady 3 stars
The Leopard (lost at the library)
The Moonstone (postponed for buddy read)
OR The Woman in White 4 stars
The Remains of the Day (finished in June) 3 stars

Personal challenges:
Cry, the Beloved Country 3 stars
Giovanni's Room (postponed for buddy read)
Half of a Yellow Sun

Unplanned books that I actually read:
The Enchanted 4 stars
84, Charing Cross Road 3 stars
Out of the Blue 3 stars
Are You My Mother? 2 stars
The Jungle Book (DNF)
Keep it Vegan 4 stars
Shooting an Elephant 4 stars
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate (currently reading)
Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week 3 stars
Not My Father's Son: A Memoir 4 stars

message 48: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink, Cry, the Beloved Country is super.

message 49: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Oh good Chrissie! I don't know that one, so will be interested in your thoughts. (Ooops, I just added an edit to my earlier post without realising you'd already seen it. Sorry.)

message 50: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jean, I went back and reread your message. Wow, it seems he is a good author. I am going to keep in mind his other books. Thank you for your advice. It feels better knowing that you too appreciate Ackroyd's work.

« previous 1 3