All About Books discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
The 100 Best Novels > Week 84- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This week, at number 84, is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

I found the article particularly interesting this week http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Read this a couple of years ago; terrible book, but not to be missed

Chrissie Laura, I thought it was very good too. It pushed me to read Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's which also got four stars. GOOD writer.

Yes great writer indeed

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read it

Leslie | 15985 comments This book has been on my TBR for a while. I have seen the film (more than once) which is excellent. I also thought that the movie Capote about the writing of this book was very good.

I have a question though -- would you really consider this to be a novel? It is based on real events...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking the same, Leslie. My question wasn't really answered by the article though, however interesting it is.

Maybe it is a novel because it is based on true events with some artistic license? I will have to read it to find out more.

Leslie wrote: "This book has been on my TBR for a while. I have seen the film (more than once) which is excellent. I also thought that the movie Capote about the writing of this book was very good.

I have a question though -- would you really consider this to be a novel? It is based on real events..."

I myself consider it as a non fiction book, but it is "fictionized" in its style...

Leslie | 15985 comments Generally when I think of books based on true events with some artistic license, they are memoirs but that clearly doesn't fit the case here. Capote basically invented the "true crime" sub-genre with this book. I usually avoid reading those (too hard on my sensibilities) so I don't know if they are typically viewed as fiction or nonfiction.

Chrissie Leslie, whether to classify it as novel or non-fiction is the first thing I wanted to know too, when I began the book. This is what I found at Wiki and thus added it to my review:

"Some critics consider Capote's work the original non-fiction novel, although other writers had already explored the genre, such as Rodolfo Walsh in Operación Masacre (1957). The book examines the complex psychological relationship between two parolees who together commit a mass murder. Capote's book also explores the lives of the victims and the effect of the crime on the community in which they lived. In Cold Blood is regarded by critics as a pioneering work of the true crime genre, though Capote was disappointed that the book failed to win the Pulitzer Prize.

Parts of the book, including important details, differ from the real events."

The last sentence is the most important. I classify it as fiction.

Leslie | 15985 comments I guess it is like historical fiction but contemporary instead of historical!

Thanks Chrissie, that last sentence does make it fiction for me too.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7490 comments Mod
I liked this book too - disturbing of course but good. Great pacing throughout with some psychological depth. I'm with you Leslie on the true crime stuff - I've only read two books in that category ever because it disturbs me.

message 13: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink I really liked this one too, though it took me about 100 pages to really get into it. It definitely seemed more like non-fiction, with a little artistic licence. Has anyone seen the film Capote? I thought that it was a brilliant film and quite insightful about his life and way of working too.

Chrissie Leslie wrote: "I guess it is like historical fiction but contemporary instead of historical!

Thanks Chrissie, that last sentence does make it fiction for me too."

Yep, but I think books based on real events often tend to feel totally real.

Leslie | 15985 comments Pink wrote: "Has anyone seen the film Capote? I ..."

I thought it was very well done. And I liked the way Harper Lee and Capote's relationship was shown.

message 16: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink I liked that aspect of the film too Leslie.

Susan (goodreadscomsuec2112) In Cold Blood was an excellent book!

Albert | 0 comments I think what I liked about the book the most were how the main characters were portrayed. You learned so much about them, their backgrounds, but Capote never told you what to think of them. He left you to draw your own conclusions, and even in the end didn't try to steer you in a particular direction.

Albert wrote: "I think what I liked about the book the most were how the main characters were portrayed. You learned so much about them, their backgrounds, but Capote never told you what to think of them. He left..."

You're right. A real writer "from the outside"